Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed a sign today announcing/promoting a new outparcel/strip of small scale retail adjacent to the Food Lion (former Bi-Lo and Bloom) on Park rd. It looked like it would bookend the strip where the Comet is located.

If it gets built the strip should reduce the blight visual impact of the large (IMO) Food Lion parking lot, but none ot the retail space in the area seems particularly well utilized.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

As you pointed out, the strip center will bookend the food lion, so it really won't have much impact on the parking lot since it will be where what's now just grass, I also wouldn't hold my breath since the strip center has been planned since the store opened as a Bloom a few years back. Granted, there was no demand for retail then to justify building it, I don't know if the demand there is today or in the near future will be at rents high enough to support the cost. 

• 3 weeks later...

Framing is about 1/3 finished at the Cottages on Euclid site.

Their timing is good, SFH sales appear to be -very- healthy in Dilworth at the moment, prices appear to be returning to the $300 per sq ft range again (disclaimer, that data is from a limited sample)

The Duke Endowment building is about to go vertical, they have excavated an impressive basement / parking structure.

Edited by kermit

• 4 weeks later...

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=13LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00070&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

Another interesting project.  300 units with underground parking on Harding Pl at Morehead overlooking the Greenway.  This is behind (but maybe includes???) the "Good Offices" building on Morehead at Little Sugar Creek/Greenway.

That 1400 Harding parcel itself is only 1/3 acre, so I assume it includes adjcanet properties for a project of this size.

The CBJ article on this project was posted today:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/03/crescent-planning-300-unit-apartment.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-03-28&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC

Crescent is the developer and they 'will' assemble 2 acres for it.

The article also mentions the Forestar project (Morehead and Monticello) should begin construction in 'late 2014'

Edited by kermit

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=13LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00070&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

Another interesting project.  300 units with underground parking on Harding Pl at Morehead overlooking the Greenway.  This is behind (but maybe includes???) the "Good Offices" building on Morehead at Little Sugar Creek/Greenway.

That 1400 Harding parcel itself is only 1/3 acre, so I assume it includes adjcanet properties for a project of this size.

Now I'm getting nervous about overbuilding...

Now I'm getting nervous about overbuilding...

So are the guys who write the checks. Sourcing equity is getting very tough in Charlotte these days due to the fear of overbuilding. Much tougher than other cities like Raleigh/Durham, Nashville, DC, South FL...

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's still Lincoln Harris, but a pre-submittal meeting was scheduled for 170 apartments on the former Walgreens site at Kenilworth & Morehead. 

Apartments are better than Walgreens, although I was not opposed to the Walgreens.

Longboard's will be opening next week. This is where picasso's/Sutton house used to be. Longboard's is going to be a cavo fish taco type of concept (not affiliated with them though). The interior has been remodeled extensively and has art work everywhere including bar stools that have been painted by Quail Hollow 8th grade students. There are also of course surf boards all over the restaurant. I think it'll be a hit!

Edited by Temeteron

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's still Lincoln Harris, but a pre-submittal meeting was scheduled for 170 apartments on the former Walgreens site at Kenilworth & Morehead. 

CBJ reports on this project today:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/04/terwilliger-pappas-eyeing-morehead-and.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-04-29&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC

Two small observations:

1) The former autoparts store on Tremont (behind the Dunkin Donuts) is currently being gutted. I don't yet know what it will become.

There's a sign on the fmr auto parts store for a gym saying "coming soon". Can't recall the name, but I got the impression it was a crossfit or HIT workout type of gym. 

Also, one of the retail spaces at The Tremont is under contract. I believe it's for a salon. 

Had posted the zoning petition for this in the Southend Forum a few days ago, but it's pretty much on the border of Dilworth/Southend.  Marsh Properties is planning 180-200 apartments on the 2.47 acres.  Currently the site is the location of Carolina ACG.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/05/marsh-planning-180-to-200-apartments.html

There's a sign on the fmr auto parts store for a gym saying "coming soon". Can't recall the name, but I got the impression it was a crossfit or HIT workout type of gym. 

Also, one of the retail spaces at The Tremont is under contract. I believe it's for a salon. 

Just what Charlotte needs, another work-out place.  Maybe they can sell frozen yogurt and cupcakes, too.

In other retail news. Dilworth drug is moving next to jersey mikes, because of kenilworth commons' lack of parking. Also Shu and Brief are opening in Dilworth/SouthEnd. Shu is a shoe and accessories store, Brief specializes in Undies and Loungewear.

Edited by Guest