Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Is Shu and Brief a clothing chain? No idea but thats what it sounds like. That space has been begging for some action for a while. I think a bar or restaurant may have generated more immediate traffic, but I would love to see a successful small apparel/thrift corridor develop from camden to s. tryon. The closing of niche and american apparel kind of dashed my hopes for that but maybe its ready to turn around. 

Is Shu and Brief a clothing chain? No idea but thats what it sounds like. That space has been begging for some action for a while. I think a bar or restaurant may have generated more immediate traffic, but I would love to see a successful small apparel/thrift corridor develop from camden to s. tryon. The closing of niche and american apparel kind of dashed my hopes for that but maybe its ready to turn around. 

It is not a chain.  Dan Mauney, a very well known gay entrepreneur in Charlotte is opening these stores.  He used to be a part of Sloan on east blvd.  and is very active in the gay community.  I'm glad we are getting some more retail in South End. Thank goodness

• 2 weeks later...

The CBJ article on this project was posted today:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/03/crescent-planning-300-unit-apartment.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-03-28&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC

Crescent is the developer and they 'will' assemble 2 acres for it.

The article also mentions the Forestar project (Morehead and Monticello) should begin construction in 'late 2014'

Stumbled across a rendering of this project on skyscrapercity but, I'm unsure if it's been posted already elsewhere or is even up-to-date.

Screenshot2012-03-20at92701AM.png

Stumbled across a rendering of this project on skyscrapercity but, I'm unsure if it's been posted already elsewhere or is even up-to-date.

Screenshot2012-03-20at92701AM.png

Yep, its been shared a number of times. I think I might have actually been the one that posted it on both. (don't remember though) Great project and I think its actually going to start construction soon.

Its zoned for 250 multifamily dwellings and 10k sq feet of "residential services." If i remember the site plan correctly. The bottom left is Laundry, Gym, Leasing office. The bottom right is a coffeeshop. Seems to be everyone's idea of "retail" these days. Park and Kingston, and the new Faison projects both have the same.

Its zoned for 250 multifamily dwellings and 10k sq feet of "residential services." If i remember the site plan correctly. The bottom left is Laundry, Gym, Leasing office. The bottom right is a coffeeshop. Seems to be everyone's idea of "retail" these days. Park and Kingston, and the new Faison projects both have the same.

Given the location, I can't take issue with that. That block is not destined to be a retail node IMO. Maybe the new project down at Harding & the greenway will include some since there is a lot of built in foot traffic. 

New article on "Crescent Dilworth" drops some more details. I don't think the above rendering is accurate because they mention a different architecture firm. (BB+M is the same architect as Southborough)

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/05/29/4900860/crescent-communities-acquires.html

The seven-story building will feature street level retail along with, two levels of parking and five levels of luxury apartments. The community will include approximately 300 luxury apartments comprised of studio, one and two-bedroom units. Walk-up units along Morehead Street will have a residential look in keeping with the Dilworth streetscape, while several deluxe, 2,600-square-foot units will feature large private terraces with indoor and outdoor fireplaces.

New article on "Crescent Dilworth" drops some more details. I don't think the above rendering is accurate because they mention a different architecture firm. (BB+M is the same architect as Southborough)

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/05/29/4900860/crescent-communities-acquires.html

CBJ has picked up on the story as well. Nothing earth shattering in the design, but the article does mention ground level retail: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/05/crescent-buys-dilworth-site-for.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That is a great location for such density.  I have long felt that the pocket of Dilworth that is between Morehead, Kenilworth and LSCG ought to be higher density as it is already intersperced with commercial and office projects, and could capitalize on its proximity to Metropolitan and the greenway and be a residential area that could hopefully provide many hospital employees with walking commutes. 

That is a great location for such density.  I have long felt that the pocket of Dilworth that is between Morehead, Kenilworth and LSCG ought to be higher density as it is already intersperced with commercial and office projects, and could capitalize on its proximity to Metropolitan and the greenway and be a residential area that could hopefully provide many hospital employees with walking commutes. 

The Walk up doors on Morehead are TO DIE FOR. I wish half any of the projects designed by Urbana Architecture had this. (330 West Tremont, or either of the South Church Projects. If they just had stairs up to the Apartments, it would make the streets so much more welcoming. Great Street Level presence for a Podium Parking Project! Also great sight lines, and density.

Unfortunately this is a case of Dilworth having the political might to force the improvements but SouthEnd not.

When I was at the SouthEnd Rail Trail meeting last month a lady was telling us of the process for getting Crescent to improve this project, and that is probably one example.  

I'm sure it isn't as much the designers as the developers getting away with doing as little as possible.  

A good news bad news situation:

The biggest blight on Dil-South blvd, Club Tan is now gone from their corner location at Worthington. The building is currently being gutted and refitted for....

.....a mattress store (the least pedestrian friendly form of retail on earth)

....2nd least, after the auto repair shop, which happens to be right next door...sigh

There's a brand spanking new Valvoline going in SouthEnd beside the Taco Bell  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  sigh

I'm pretty sure that would be Leather and Lace at South Blvd / Cleveland Ave, though Club Tan wasn't far behind.

I dunno, they have a relatively small parking lot and as I walked by L&L today there were three ladies sitting out front on a break (I assume). I thought they significantly contributed to the streetlife of the neighborhood.

• Like 2

Hah...I went to L&L once after going to SouthEnd Brewery when in college. Wow, those were some skanky people in there! I'd be happy to see that place gone.

Re: the unappealing retail, I thought the same thing when a construction company moved into the Fowler Building (previously Canine Cafe and a lighting store), blacking out the windows and turning perfectly good retail space into offices. And then there is the State Farm office on Summit, the lawyer office at West/Camden, the Griffin Bros. body shop on Mint, and the 1400 salons in SouthEnd (I don't mind those as much, but I also don't understand how they all stay in business with so many on a 2-block radius). Perfectly good retail for boutiques, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Just disappointing to see those spaces occupied by businesses that don't contribute to street activity for the most part.

• 1 month later...

Sign went up today on the corner of Worthington & Cleveland for "The Cottages on Worthington", another development from Wendy Field. Not sure of the scope of the project, but from the name I'm guessing it will be very similar to The Cottages on Euclid.