Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

As long as this hotel is done right (e.g. not something like a Holiday Inn Express -- which would never fly in Dilworth), it will hit a nice sweet spot given the location being on the border of Dilworth and South End. Heck, I would be inclined to have out of towners stay here versus some uptown hotels. 

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed today that Luxe Home Couture (near Paper Skyscraper, on the other side of East) looks like they went out of business and is now being renovated. Does anyone know what's going in there?

There is now a sign up for "Euro Floors". *YAWN*. Too bad, with the degree of work they were putting into that building, I assumed it was going to be something more interesting than Luxe, not less. 

To my knowledge, this will be a new location for Revolution (clothing store)

that is located at Epicenter.  I think they plan to try and operate 2 locations.

This will be a tremendous asset for Dilworth and South End.  

The flooring sign is simply an advertisement for the company

that is doing the floors for the remodel.  

To my knowledge, this will be a new location for Revolution (clothing store)

that is located at Epicenter.  I think they plan to try and operate 2 locations.

This will be a tremendous asset for Dilworth and South End.  

The flooring sign is simply an advertisement for the company

that is doing the floors for the remodel.  

That's great to hear. Sorry to jump the gun when I saw the flooring sign!

I don't know how they'll do in that location but I hope for the best; it's a store that I probably would shop at if not for the high price point. There is potential to have a bit of a high end boutique strip around this part of East eventually. 

Sounds like the Forestar project will include a 25,000 sq ft grocery store (this not a full sized grocery store). Sounds like it will be in lieu of the drug store (and also eliminate the drive though due to zoning)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/grocery-store-in-play-for-morehead.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-12-06

Edited by kermit

Sounds like the Forestar project will include a 25,000 sq ft grocery store (this not a full sized grocery store). Sounds like it will be in lieu of the drug store (and also eliminate the drive though due to zoning)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/grocery-store-in-play-for-morehead.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-12-06

I strongly suspect that this will end up being the Fresh Market that never happened at Dilworth Commons. Don't quote me on that but the specs seem to match up, and they need an inner city presence. 

I strongly suspect that this will end up being the Fresh Market that never happened at Dilworth Commons. Don't quote me on that but the specs seem to match up, and they need an inner city presence. 

You are correct! Forestar is still negotiating with both Walgreens and FM, but I've been told it's moving in the direction of Fresh Market. 

Fresh Market would be great!  NC company and definitely the upscale, gourmet market that Dilworth likes but a different value than Trader Joes for the area.  

If it's a Walgreens, meh... unless it brings FM somewhere else in the area like Elizabeth @ Hawthorne.

Fresh Market would be great!  NC company and definitely the upscale, gourmet market that Dilworth likes but a different value than Trader Joes for the area.  

If it's a Walgreens, meh... unless it brings FM somewhere else in the area like Elizabeth @ Hawthorne.

Looks like it will be a Fresh Market...or at least some kind of grocery store!

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/12/grocery-store-in-play-for-morehead.html

I really like these small boutique projects. Another Axiom/CentroCityWorks Project. They really are killing it. This will be directly beside the Tremont Condos. 12 Units, buried parking.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-12-16 at 10.51.41 PM.png

I'm looking for a new place in April...  Think they'll be ready then haha?  Seriously though, as someone looking to move out of the party at Post Southend and into somewhere a little more quiet these look great and the location is amazing.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

I really like these small boutique projects. Another Axiom/CentroCityWorks Project. They really are killing it. This will be directly beside the Tremont Condos. 12 Units, buried parking.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-12-16 at 10.51.41 PM.png

If I was single (or even married but with no kids), I'd be all over living in one of these units. I'm a big fan of these boutique type projects also. No doubt that it will do well. 

Edited by wend28

^ So this is the 3rd iteration of this project.  It was Furman's last attempt in 2008/2009 to do infill, where he was going to redevelop that corner of Euclid/Tremont into a condo project called TreHouse.

He then was going to sell the entire site to Gateway Homes to build an apartment project there (and rendering posted here back early this year).  That project died when the HDC refused the design of the new project.

This iteration is still Gateway homes as the developer, but only redevoping 1/2 the original site.  This replaces the two single-family buildings between the The Tremont Condos (the cape cod looking building at Tremont and Cleveland) whand the older gray aparment building at the corner of Euclid which would remain (for now).

I do believe Furman owns all 4-5 properties involved in the original 2 concepts, but again, this new plan is only a partial redevlopment of the two properties actually mid-block along Tremont.

Finally, in a departure from current trends, I think this new proposal is once again condos (instead of apartments).

^ So this is the 3rd iteration of this project.  It was Furman's last attempt in 2008/2009 to do infill, where he was going to redevelop that corner of Euclid/Tremont into a condo project called TreHouse.

He then was going to sell the entire site to Gateway Homes to build an apartment project there (and rendering posted here back early this year).  That project died when the HDC refused the design of the new project.

This iteration is still Gateway homes as the developer, but only redevoping 1/2 the original site.  This replaces the two single-family buildings between the The Tremont Condos (the cape cod looking building at Tremont and Cleveland) whand the older gray aparment building at the corner of Euclid which would remain (for now).

I do believe Furman owns all 4-5 properties involved in the original 2 concepts, but again, this new plan is only a partial redevlopment of the two properties actually mid-block along Tremont.

Finally, in a departure from current trends, I think this new proposal is once again condos (instead of apartments).

I would LOVE for the rest of this part of dilworth and southend to eventually be developed with projects like this with some higher density sprinkled in. Have Camden as "Main Street," continue to develop South BLVD and figure out a way to make it less treacherous for pedestrians and establish a Business Improvement District along Mint and encourage responsible development.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Some changes were made to the Worthington Hotel rezoning at Worthington/Cleveland.  They eliminated the townhomes along Cleveland apparantly.  The hotel is 130 rooms.  Also, some conceptual renderings.

That's too bad about losing the townhomes, but I imagine its probably due to rules about the soil conditions given the site. I'm not sure how I feel about the aesthetic in those renderings...its a little hospital-like or something, but I can appreciate that they're going for something a little more classic than the rest of the area (with some modern elements still). 

Some changes were made to the Worthington Hotel rezoning at Worthington/Cleveland.  They eliminated the townhomes along Cleveland apparantly.  The hotel is 130 rooms.  Also, some conceptual renderings.

Wow, yeah this hotel would blend in on 485 or really Anywhere Suburbia South of the Mason Dixon...but I would have thought they would have picked up on some design elements of the neighborhood. This doesn't look Dilworthy or South Endy...it is atrocious. Oh wait...I know the perfect place for this hotel: Carowinds!!!

But seriously they should either pick up on some of the Industrial Design of South End or Craftsman of Dilworth it is not rocket science and with some creativity they could probably design something that would cost the same.

• Like 1