Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

The arch type windows along the base and top and the flauty center cornice up by the Worthington sign....kinda commercial grand plantation style.

Fair enough. I'm way out of my depth here so I had no idea what you meant at first. Thanks for the explanation.

A while back we talked about a Apartment project on corner of Euclid and Lexington by Marsh Properties. Looks like something has finally come of it. They have started the submittal process. No notes on Number of Units.

A while back we talked about a Apartment project on corner of Euclid and Lexington by Marsh Properties. Looks like something has finally come of it. They have started the submittal process. No notes on Number of Units.

I've heard it will be on the smaller side - Roughly 200 units, but that is not directly from the horses mouth so not sure how accurate that is. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the neighborhood is mobilizing against the gastropub that is planned for East blvd beside the Circle K. The chief complaint that the residents along Worthington have is that there is insufficient parking for the proposed 120 seat restaurant (secondary concerns are related to deliveries / garbage pickup and noise from a patio). I can understand their concerns, however, they had to know when they bought that the houses on East blvd would always be some type of business and they certainly got their houses more cheaply than others in the hood as a result of their location.

While I know some of the folks who are trying to block the rezoning I have to admit I think it is a good project for the area and will significantly improve the urban feel of the area -- I'll be  a regular (walk or bike up) customer if it happens. Given that the concerns are chiefly about parking I wonder what can be reasonably done to move Charlotte beyond this provincial (IMO) attitude that all businesses must be auto oriented. I had a couple of ideas but none of them will address all of the concerns of the NIMBYs:

• Bike share station (it would  fill the large gap in the network between East/West and Freedom park, but not remove many cars from the area)
  • Bike racks in the area (there are currently none -- but, again, this only trivially addresses mobility demand)
  • Better walkability and bikeability along the Kenilworth corridor (road diet)
  • A neighborhood parking garage (this will almost certainly need to wait for the redevelopment of the Epicurian parcel -- but this only exacerbates auto dependence)
  • A shuttle bus route (or better yet, a streetcar) between East / West and the Metropolitan via Kenilworth (they city should have a few extras after the Gold Line gets going). Seems like overkill given the current size of the business district. Gotta be _very_ high frequency to take cars off the road -- 15 minute headways would be pointless.

What else is possible to remove us from what I feel like is an anti-urban feedback machine?

EDIT: In parallel to this discussion several businesses have moved out of Kenilworth Commons (the HT center) and moved elsewhere in the neighborhood due to the parking limitations of the site. I dread going to the new Dilworth drug location (in the old Blockbuster) due to accessibility issues for drivers and bikers. (I also dread going to the teeter by any mode because the parking lot is so chaotic at lunch and after work)

Edited by kermit

^ All of those ideas are reasonable.  Certainly a neighborhood parking deck at the Epicurean site would be the most benficial, though I can understand a neighbor's trepedation that someone might not want to walk 2 blocks and still park on Charlotte/Worthington Aves. 

A long time ago, the idea was the run a streetcar down the Scott/Kenilworth pair, tying into McDowell then Trade.  This seems highly unlikely to occur soon, but is a solid route that can be supported by current density and redevelopent along those thoroughfares.

Another thing to consider is the limitations of East/West traffic flow.  I really wish Princeton Ave was wider and could be a reliever between East and Woodlawn, and also tie into Marsh....I don't see that ever happening, espeically with the size of new houses popping up on Princeton.

The problem with Dilworth and really any part of the city, is its not dense enough to truely support neighborhood oriendted retail, but it is dense enough that stores/restaurants that have to cater to a larger trade area to survive make it feel too congested....I dunno if there is a good solution.

Demolition has started for the apartments and Fresh Market (that's definite now right?) at Morehead & Kenilworth. One of the two older brick houses-turned-offices is already down, but I imagine it will be a bigger operation to get the corner office building fully demolished. 

This stretch of Morehead is going to look drastically different in a year. There are actually only two buildings between this and the Crescent apartments under construction. Both projects are some of the more thoughtfully planned and classy looking residential projects on the boards right now IMO. 

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

Demolition has started for the apartments and Fresh Market (that's definite now right?) at Morehead & Kenilworth. One of the two older brick houses-turned-offices is already down, but I imagine it will be a bigger operation to get the corner office building fully demolished. 

This stretch of Morehead is going to look drastically different in a year. There are actually only two buildings between this and the Crescent apartments under construction. Both projects are some of the more thoughtfully planned and classy looking residential projects on the boards right now IMO. 

Spoke with those guys this week and they are leaning towards FM although haven't pulled the trigger on a deal yet, so it could still be a Walgreens. The rezoning allows for 15,000 SqFt with a drive thru or 25,000 SqFt without. 

• 2 weeks later...

It has indeed been mentioned. However, it looks like they redesigned it a little bit, and I like it less now :-(

Nevermind, its exactly the same as the rendering I posted a few months back... 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/16699-dilworth-projects-kenilworth-morehead-east/?p=1286412

Its nice infill. I wish they would sprinkle these all around South End, Willmore and Dilworth

Edited by Guest

It has indeed been mentioned. However, it looks like they redesigned it a little bit, and I like it less now :-(

Nevermind, its exactly the same as the rendering I posted a few months back... 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/16699-dilworth-projects-kenilworth-morehead-east/?p=1286412

Its nice infill. I wish they would sprinkle these all around South End, Willmore and Dilworth

Couldn't tell from the link to their site but are these rental units or will they be for sale?

Edit:  Should have read the specifications page to find out.  Awesome!  I'll probably be in the market to buy when these are done.  Definitely need to keep an eye on it.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

They are for purchase. I just reached out to their marketing and sales team. I should have pricing by end of week hopefully.

We will pre-sell 6 of 12 units at "pre-sale" prices, which will reflect a modest discount from the scheduled pricing.  If you are able to reserve a unit in March for a Summer 2015 delivery, that's a good way to realize some additional equity.  

I am thinking about buying one for investment.

Couldn't tell from the link to their site but are these rental units or will they be for sale?

Edit:  Should have read the specifications page to find out.  Awesome!  I'll probably be in the market to buy when these are done.  Definitely need to keep an eye on it.

They're definitely for purchase. I know the developer. In my opinion they're priced a little high considering the square footage. I'll be selling another similar project in the Southend area this summer that's priced a little better. 

They're definitely for purchase. I know the developer. In my opinion they're priced a little high considering the square footage. I'll be selling another similar project in the Southend area this summer that's priced a little better. 

Really...? Can you PM me some info? I got that "wanna buy something itch"

• 2 weeks later...

So tearing down the fine looking brick building and leaving up the anti-Dilworth monstrosity right next to it.....

Didn't that building burn down? 

Check that:

It Burned very badly and was no longer structurally sound and was already demo's.

Edited by Guest