Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

And the land at Morehead and Oriole next to the nearly completed Duke Endowment building is...a large grassy drainage ditch. Really? I know that site was originally slated for a future "building B", so what does this mean? Why wouldn't they just leave the land flat in the meantime?

Edited by nonillogical

^ It could have to do with the stormwater culvert the city is currently working on.  This is a major project in the area to reduce flooding, and they are re-routing the culvert under Oriole.  Work is supposed to officially begin later this year.

http://charmeck.org/stormwater/Projects/Documents/MyrtlePMMmap0113.pdf

2 new-construction Dilworth condo projects are in front of the Historic District Commission

Dilworth Court - 12 Townhomes

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/HDC/Cases/2014/2014-098.pdf

The proposal for the corner of Tremont and Euclid.  This is adjacent to the Dilworth Terrace condo project current pre-selling, located on Tremont between Euclid and Myrtle.  This proposal would replace the 2-story off-white apartment building there.

I dig the design (Page 6 of the .pdf) as long as the material are quality.  This would be the same developer as Dilworth Terrace (Gateway Homes).

Also, the Winthrop Mews project has been resurrected from the dead it seems.  This is the condo project on the vacant site at East Blvd and Winthrop.

I like the changes and hope this gets approved.

Changes are:

1.  Lopped off the porches fronting East so the set-back is now similar to the rest of the block.

2. Shortened the height slightly so that it is similar height the adjacent building on East.

3.  Tapered the height along Winthrop so it "steps down" to the adjacent single-family home on Winthrop.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/HDC/Cases/2014/2014-129.pdf

This project would be a big win in my opinion.

Also, the Dilworth Mews project has been resurrected from the dead it seems.  This is the condo project on the vacant site at East Blvd and Winthrop.

I like the changes and hope this gets approved.

Changes are:

1.  Lopped off the porches front East so the set-back is now similar to the rest of the block.

2. Shortened the height slightly so that it is similar height the adjacent building on East.

3.  Tapered the height along Wintrop so it "steps down" to the adjacent single-family home on Winthrop.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/HDC/Cases/2014/2014-129.pdf

This project would be a big win in my opinion.

I'm glad this isn't dead. I did find the objections in this case pretty ridiculous, and thought the closer frontage to East Blvd was actually nice, but it doesn't look like anything all that important has been lost. Some of the design details around the roof actually seem to have changed for the better. 

• 3 weeks later...

One Day I would like to see every block from south blvd into dilworth built up like Tremont will be. 

Tremont will hopefully (if rezoning is approved) be home to a second infill project. This will be directly next door to Dilworth Terrace, and looks to be another Axiom Architecture Gem :-). No retail or anything, but a nice Dilworth Appropriate Residential project that people like me can afford.

ScreenShot2014-07-28at110310PM_zpse888e0

post-17104-0-98840400-1406602593_thumb.plarger rendering below

Edited by Guest

In the original article (Nov 2013) on this Worthington project there was mention that "the firm is including plans for up to six townhome units along Cleveland Avenue as well." That is one of the parts I liked most, and hope it is still in play. This might bring a few more affordable options for home purchases into the area, which is needed. That is a terrific and convenient location.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/11/127-room-hotel-planned-for-dilworth-site.html

Edited by JoshuaDrown

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it does a decent job of masking its size when seen from street level. I actually like the corner windows and ratio of brick, but why aren't the 1st story balconies treated like patios with stairs down to the sidewalk? Maybe they will and the rendering just isn't that detailed...hovering 1st floor balconies remind me more of a podium building. 

Looks like it does a decent job of masking its size when seen from street level. I actually like the corner windows and ratio of brick, but why aren't the 1st story balconies treated like patios with stairs down to the sidewalk? Maybe they will and the rendering just isn't that detailed...hovering 1st floor balconies remind me more of a podium building. 

It looks like they are where the grade necessitates it, but it's done as a single stair going to the center instead of stairs off each patio.

I like it.  I just hope the parking deck and lighting poles on top the deck aren't visible.  Otherwise this is a solid addition given the scale.  Hopefully something similar is scale gets built on the other side of Lexington.  The Bragg office building is ok.  The other part of the ACG Carolinas office is there as well (not sure if Marsh bought that building as well).

• Like 2

I like it.  I just hope the parking deck and lighting poles on top the deck aren't visible.  Otherwise this is a solid addition given the scale.  Hopefully something similar is scale gets built on the other side of Lexington.  The Bragg office building is ok.  The other part of the ACG Carolinas office is there as well (not sure if Marsh bought that building as well).

Marsh bought that property as well. I think we are looking at the building from the side ACG is on. The businesses along Lexington will remain.

Hopefully the leftover lot eventually becomes an office project. 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

1) Sounds like the Duke Endowment building is now open:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/26/5130395/duke-endowment-gets-a-new-space.html#.U_zwiGMuEyk

2) Perhaps is just crappy CO reporting but the article says that Duke felt that there were problems with "parking, traffic and security" in uptown. Seriously?

1) Sounds like the Duke Endowment building is now open:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/26/5130395/duke-endowment-gets-a-new-space.html#.U_zwiGMuEyk

2) Perhaps is just crappy CO reporting but the article says that Duke felt that there were problems with "parking, traffic and security" in uptown. Seriously?

I think they're talking about building security.  Getting in to see my broker on the 38th floor at the Corporate Center is a royal pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on appearances the Forestar Project at the east corner of Morehead and Kenilworth is stalled in the post-demolition stage. Fence remains around the site but there is no evidence of construction. I think its three (maybe 4) months since demo.

I was about to say something about that but just in the last 2 days I've seen equipment on that site moving gravel. I think they might be spread a little thin with the other projects going on, but expect it to get going once the apartments on the opposite corner are farther along. 

I don't think it's ever come up on this thread, but Pulte Homes was going after rezoning on Atherton St behind Taco Bell for a 37-townhome development. City Council denied the request last night, which was in line with city staff recommendations. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/15/5177193/city-oks-southpark-hotel.html