Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 3 weeks later...

Odell has new renderings of a project at the Southeast corner of Morehead and Caldwell on their site.  The project is just referred to as Sustainable Office Building from the below link.

http://www.odell.com/portfolio/category/on-the-boards-2/

There are multiple renderings, and I find the project very exciting if it ever gets off the ground.  Beacon Partners bought the existing building (from 1959) at the site about 2 years ago, and has always planned to tear down and replace with a Class A building.  I love the ground floor retail.

6e25d6d9543cf754e677e2a71b56d0fb.jpg

As a complete aside, I heard a rumor a couple of weeks ago that the city owned land adjacent to Camden Grandview (basically where the I-277 offramps dead-end into South Blvd) is under contract, but I've been unable to find out any more info, so just throwing it out there as "probably another apartment project in the development stages".

A pre-submittal meeting was scheduled for this project on Friday. If they are still planning what's in the renderings, I'd assume the building is somewhere around 200,000 SqFt. 

I really hope this happens.  With Morehead Properties and Beacon Properties merging, they are a pretty large, well capitalized firm, and this would be their signature project.

I could do without the Oaktree etching, as it makes it look like a medical office building, but otherwise, really excited about this.

In the article about them mergine, execs were quoted as saying they excpet morehead to be lined with first-floor retail in new developments within the next 5 years.  I hope so.....the 1 building that really needs to be replaced is the horrible brick medical office building at the corner of Morehead and Myrtle (southwest side).  That tragic think is a 80's suruban throwback that could never be retrofitted, and its parking lot takes up the entire block along Lexington between Myrtle and Euclid.  Replace the building with something denser, and fronting Morehead, put a parking deck out back, and line Lexington with some townhomes!

And bring back the 727 E Morehead proposal. (12-story office tower where the funeral home is that had street-level retail...this died back in 2008.)

Looks like Beacon Properties has a marketing flyer out for this project with what I asume is updated renderings.  A little less European looking, but in general, looks very high quality.

http://www.beacondevelopment.com/uploads/building/space/500%20E%20Morehead%20Package.pdf

General info below...for what it's worth, it says completion 4Q16.  Unclear if they plan to sign an anchor tenant before proceeding, but I would think this is an A+ location/product for someone wanting the easier car access of Midtown (wealth managers, real estate brokers, law firms focusing on individuals instead of corporations, etc)

http://www.beacondevelopment.com/properties/building/500__e_morehead_street86090f0aeac2f4938d322afa13d1563a.cfm

Looks like Beacon Properties has a marketing flyer out for this project with what I asume is updated renderings.  A little less European looking, but in general, looks very high quality.

http://www.beacondevelopment.com/uploads/building/space/500%20E%20Morehead%20Package.pdf

General info below...for what it's worth, it says completion 4Q16.  Unclear if they plan to sign an anchor tenant before proceeding, but I would think this is an A+ location/product for someone wanting the easier car access of Midtown (wealth managers, real estate brokers, law firms focusing on individuals instead of corporations, etc)

http://www.beacondevelopment.com/properties/building/500__e_morehead_street86090f0aeac2f4938d322afa13d1563a.cfm

Have to say that i much prefer the older design, but that this will be a great thing to keep building out Morehead, if it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

The three SFH at the corner of Ideal and McDonald (the corner closest to the Food Lion) are for sale and being marketed as multifamily.

I sure would like to see the Food Lion center be invested in so it would better suit the neighborhood.

While I agree with you, that will not be happening anytime soon.  I am familiar with the lease and the company that owns it.  They are a non-traded public REIT that buys and holds.  Expect no redevelopment until the FL lease expires, if I remember correctly, that is 8 years from now.  Also, the center is parceled off, so the FL is separate from the rest.  However, expect a small MOB to be built in some of the greens pace in the near future.

While I agree with you, that will not be happening anytime soon.  I am familiar with the lease and the company that owns it.  They are a non-traded public REIT that buys and holds.  Expect no redevelopment until the FL lease expires, if I remember correctly, that is 8 years from now.  Also, the center is parceled off, so the FL is separate from the rest.  However, expect a small MOB to be built in some of the greens pace in the near future.

There was a rezoning for the out parcels about a year ago. I think it was approved. I think we will have movement on the out parcels in the first two quarters of 2015.

There was a rezoning for the out parcels about a year ago. I think it was approved. I think we will have movement on the out parcels in the first two quarters of 2015.

There is only one outparcel.  It is the area that is marked as "seed/straw" on the attachment in Accela.  it looks like there are duplicate entries in Accela.  And yes there is movement but it will be a small medical office building, nothing more.  And no substantial changes to the rest of the center.

I don't mind it, as it is adjacent to the greenway.

Personally, I'd like to see this scale permeate up and down Kings Drive from CPCC to the CMC Main Campus. The greenway would have a fabulous frame!

I don't mind it one bit, then again I haven't seen it in person. However, CMC is pretty imposing overall, so some more density can't hurt. The building on Kenilworth and Kings is going to be even bigger. 

I love the scale of it and that the different facets make it feel almost like more than 1 building. I think its going to be softened quite a bit by the final materials which should be pretty nice. And agreed, when its right next to larger hospital buildings, how can it really be considered too massive? Seems like a nice step down towards the greenway to me. 

I think Crescent Dilworth will look good once completed...it appears to be of very high quality, and the brick facade there shouldn't be too imposing...if it was all EIFS, I would agree, but I think it will look classy...

Oh yeah, totally forgot it is all brick, I guess once those Midtown projects are all completed, it'll blend in. 

Just a bit of a rant here, but what is it going to take to have a parking deck built at the East Blvd Harris Teeter? The best opportunity kind of passed when they were doing significant renovations a couple years ago, but that parking lot is inadequate to the point of actually becoming a hazard. Every day at lunch and right after work is like black friday at the mall, with a dozen or more cars circling, waiting in awkward areas, and speeding towards spots when they become available. Its gotten markedly worse in the last 3-4 months. Would a 3-4 story parking deck here, which as long as I'm daydreaming could even include some retail opportunities, ever be in the realm of possibility?

They will have to start losing money on retail sales.... LOTS of money before that happens.  A changed mix of tenants to better utilize the parking at particular times is more likely in the forseable... 10 year horizon...

Well, given that the store inside never feels packed even when the parking lot is, I think they COULD be losing some money actually. The parking impact from the other businesses in the complex is almost negligible compared to HT, so I don't think there's much improvement to be made there. I hope that the Publix and eventual HT on South will help take some of the pressure off, but think it will be short-lived if so.  

They will lose sales to their own store at Sedgefield and the new Publix.

They have shown a willingness to substantially spend, with redevelopment of MP and P-M teeters, though this is a leased space.

I don't see a deck ever happening here, with the only possibility is if they ever razed the two small shop strips (the one with Dolce the other with Kabob Grill) and did a major mixed-used project on site with residential over retail and parking....I just think it's too much of a cash-cow though as is to ever do this.

Maybe 1 other possibility is razing BofA building an pushing HT to the street, and doing a 2 story deck behind....I dunno...still seems unlikely.

I think it's more likely that Dilworth Gardens gets redeveloped and HT moves there if they feel they need a larger store or more parking. 

Maybe 1 other possibility is razing BofA building an pushing HT to the street, and doing a 2 story deck behind....I dunno...still seems unlikely.

Given how much the DCDA protested _lighting_ in the existing parking lot I am certain that they would throw a hissy at any increased height adjacent to residential behind and beside the store.

The parking situation is certainly bad and getting worse. I am amazed at how few folks seem to be abandoning the teeter for the overparked Food Lion a half mile away. Having said that I do understand how badly Food Lion sucks.

The Strawn site always seemed like the next step for this store, but now that will be too close to the Sedgefield teeter and leaves the Freedom Park area underserved.

Dilworth Gardens does make sense, particularly given the topography.

Edited by kermit