Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

2 new-construction Dilworth condo projects are in front of the Historic District Commission

Also, the Winthrop Mews project has been resurrected from the dead it seems.  This is the condo project on the vacant site at East Blvd and Winthrop.

I like the changes and hope this gets approved.

Changes are:

1.  Lopped off the porches fronting East so the set-back is now similar to the rest of the block.

2. Shortened the height slightly so that it is similar height the adjacent building on East.

3.  Tapered the height along Winthrop so it "steps down" to the adjacent single-family home on Winthrop.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/HDC/Cases/2014/2014-129.pdf

This project would be a big win in my opinion.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/HDC/Cases/2014/2014-210.pdf

So...the saga continued on this a while....the iteration in my quote above died, and the site then was proposed for its previously approved use (office building), but now my link here shows what I believe was finally approved, which is condos.  Renderings for the approved version are on pages 6 and 22.  I liked the original "tudor" design more, but this is a big step up from the interim design (seen on Page 21).

This is now in the Land Use approval process, so hopefully it is moving forward and plugs the "hole" in East Blvd.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/HDC/Cases/2014/2014-210.pdf

So...the saga continued on this a while....the iteration in my quote above died, and the site then was proposed for its previously approved use (office building), but now my link here shows what I believe was finally approved, which is condos.  Renderings for the approved version are on pages 6 and 22.  I liked the original "tudor" design more, but this is a big step up from the interim design (seen on Page 21).

This is now in the Land Use approval process, so hopefully it is moving forward and plugs the "hole" in East Blvd.

Looks pretty good to me, though I thought it was still planned to be 2 rows of townhomes and found that a little more interesting. I remember seeing 2 revisions of that plan but never saw the L-shaped condo building plan shown on page 21 until now. 

Meat & Fish company moving to the old 2-story dry cleaners building at Morehead & McDowel. Fantastic news for an underused building, and just what is needed in Dilworth IMO.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/07/5431216/meat-seafood-co-plans-new-location.html

Oh, Thank God! The new butcher shop at 7th Street Market is OK, but not nearly as good as the Meat and Fish Company. Mainly I loved their selection of unpopular cuts. That was the only place I could get a beef teres major cut (my favorite cut of beef, but often taken home by the butcher due to its small size in comparison with the whole cow) in Charlotte that I have found. When I asked the folks at What's you Beef, their successor at 7th Street Market, they had no idea what I was talking about. But the folks at the Meat and Fish Company will actually steer you away from the $24.99/lb filet and encourage you to try the teres major for $15.99/lb. When a butcher tells me I should buy a cheaper cut of beef that is more flavorful, I take notice. These guys are legit!

• Like 1

It appears that Blacklion is going to shut down its "anchor" spot in Dilworth Gardens. This seems like a difficult space to fill, not quite big enough for a high-end grocer like Earthfare (which investigated the space post Talleys), and not quite visible enough for a traditional retail tenant. I would really like to see the whole center restructured into something that does a better job of addressing the neighborhood -- it all feels very isolated and inward looking.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/09/5436283/blacklion-dilworth-store-closing.html#.VLBMa3vD7JA

Edited by kermit

It appears that Blacklion is going to shut down its "anchor" spot in Dilworth Gardens. This seems like a difficult space to fill, not quite big enough for a high-end grocer like Earthfare (which investigated the space post Talleys), and not quite visible enough for a traditional retail tenant. I would really like to see the whole center restructured into something that does a better job of addressing the neighborhood -- it all feels very isolated and inward looking.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/09/5436283/blacklion-dilworth-store-closing.html#.VLBMa3vD7JA

Ask the question and a developer is already on it...

Dilworth Gardens Redevelopoment

• Detailed Scope of Work: Redevelopment of existing Black Lion tenant space for new grocery use. Minor rework to rear loading area. 5' bump out to Floral Avenue building face as allowed in approved rezoning plan. Majority of work is internal to existing structure.

^ Today's submission for Land Use meeting request.

Ask the question and a developer is already on it...

^ Today's submission for Land Use meeting request.

Interesting that grocery is back on the table after so long. Remember when this was going to be a fresh market.

Wow, another grocery? You've already got HT and FL more or less right there, a new Publix going up a little further away, and Trader Joe's and Target right down the road.

Well 70% of this center was going to be turned into a Fresh Market Pre-recession, not sure why it didn't happen.

Wow, another grocery? You've already got HT and FL more or less right there, a new Publix going up a little further away, and Trader Joe's and Target right down the road.

And, last we heard, the Fresh Market going in the apartment project at the NE corner of Morehead & Kenilworth. I'm not sure if that's still the plan but the space seemed intended for a smallish specialty grocer. 

Ugh Guys, one of my sources says Aldi has expressed interest in this space... His confidence is only 50/50 so let hope this doesn't happen.

My guess is Healthy Home Market

Edited by Guest

And, last we heard, the Fresh Market going in the apartment project at the NE corner of Morehead & Kenilworth. I'm not sure if that's still the plan but the space seemed intended for a smallish specialty grocer. 

That is dead.  There will be retail, but it will be smaller than the grocery option they pursued.  No Walgreen's either.

Just a bit of a rant here, but what is it going to take to have a parking deck built at the East Blvd Harris Teeter? The best opportunity kind of passed when they were doing significant renovations a couple years ago, but that parking lot is inadequate to the point of actually becoming a hazard. Every day at lunch and right after work is like black friday at the mall, with a dozen or more cars circling, waiting in awkward areas, and speeding towards spots when they become available. Its gotten markedly worse in the last 3-4 months. Would a 3-4 story parking deck here, which as long as I'm daydreaming could even include some retail opportunities, ever be in the realm of possibility?

Looks like we have our answer on this too.  The owner of the center is buying the house (maybe duplex or triplex) next to BofA on East Blvd, to demolish and expand the surface lot.

Honestly, if they are going to push commercial closer to Dilworth Rd East, might as well buy the 2 other houses on East, and the one on Dilworth Rd, add another commercial building fronting East with parking behind, and wrap the corner of East and Dilworth Rd E with townhomes.

Looks like we have our answer on this too. The owner of the center is buying the house (maybe duplex or triplex) next to BofA on East Blvd, to demolish and expand the surface lot.

Honestly, if they are going to push commercial closer to Dilworth Rd East, might as well buy the 2 other houses on East, and the one on Dilworth Rd, add another commercial building fronting East with parking behind, and wrap the corner of East and Dilworth Rd E with townhomes.

Lets make dilworth less urban, great. I wish they'd expand amount of retail. Then it'd be acceptable. Edited by Guest

Since we are on the topic of the urbanity in Dilworth, why does the corner of East and Scott still exist as a cow pasture? It seems like prime real estate. Does Levine own it??!??!

HahHahaha, I'm so used to that lot, that I forget it's empty.

Since we are on the topic of the urbanity in Dilworth, why does the corner of East and Scott still exist as a cow pasture?  It seems like prime real estate.  Does Levine own it??!??!

Blame the owners of the former Epicurean Restaurant that once operated on that site.  The family that controls it brought development plans to DCDA back in 1999, but were displeased with the board's recommendations (the project was inward facing, and IMO, generally a terrible use for the site).  I remember being at the DCDA meeting when the family's representative flew into a rage over the neighborhood's concerns (no direct accessibility to retail from East Blvd or Scott Ave, EFIS-only facade, poor ingress/egress from either street, and from an aesthetic point, uglier than what we got with the mixed use project currently across the street). It seems the family would rather pay $12K annually in property taxes, rather than sell the parcels for development.    

• 2 weeks later...

Based on appearances the Forestar Project at the east corner of Morehead and Kenilworth is stalled in the post-demolition stage. Fence remains around the site but there is no evidence of construction. I think its three (maybe 4) months since demo.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and again....

http://cltdevelopment.blogspot.com/2015/01/still-waiting-on-apartments-at.html

(I think Ely linked to our map)

This is a bummer since the retail component of this project was so big. At least the old building is gone!

There was an article on the O today about town homes being built in Dilworth near the intersection of East and Kenilworth. I was immediately intrigued because I thought that meant the vacant parking/pumpkin/Christmas tree lot that has been there in prime real estate territory for a long time. But I apparently didn't read far enough - it's on Fillmore Drive. I'm all for the development, but jeez...I wish that lot across from 131 Main would get occupied by a mid-rise building. That would at least make Dilworth seem a bit like a "downtown or at the least an urban center.