Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:14 PM, kermit said:

This is the project between the Tremont and the corner of Tremont and Euclid. The photo doesn't do it justice but I really like it. Good variation in the front, interesting ped passageway thing on the left and the building in the back that has Chicago style multilevel decks. I am pleasantly surprised.

(unfortunately I watched them build it -- it aint going to age well due to poor construction quality)

Dilworth_crossing.jpg

When you refer to a "Chicago style" midlevel decks. what makes them Chicago style?  I am not being a smart ass, I am just curious of any uniqueness I am missing.   And, where is the ped passageway? Are you speaking of the open passage? I thought that was an entrance for the occupants with a stairway. Does it lead to a stairway going down for occupants of other units?  I need to go by and look. It is confusing. But, overall, I don't like it very much and as you say, it looks like it was poorly constructed and with a year or two aging, it will look like a Chicago tenement slum possibly. Finally, how many units are there in this first complex?  Thanks for an clarification.

Just now, caterpillar2 said:

When you refer to a "Chicago style" midlevel decks. what makes them Chicago style?  I am not being a smart ass, I am just curious of any uniqueness I am missing.   And, where is the ped passageway? Are you speaking of the open passage? I thought that was an entrance for the occupants with a stairway. Does it lead to a stairway going down for occupants of other units?  I need to go by and look. It is confusing. But, overall, I don't like it very much and as you say, it looks like it was poorly constructed and with a year or two aging, it will look like a Chicago tenement slum possibly. Finally, how many units are there in this first complex?  Thanks for an clarification.

He's Referring to the Wooden Decks that face the Red Line in Chicago. I'm sure the face other places, but thats the only place I've seen them. 

Yup, the 'Chicago style' decks refer to relatively large multi-level (or stacked) decks which usually include a staircase connecting them (but still have seating room despite the staircase). They are not cantilevered, instead they are supported by three story (spliced) posts. You can get a tiny peak of them at the left side of the photo.

Ped passageway is the doorless entry just to the left of the porches (cut into the windowless wall). It appears to provide access to a stairway, storage lockers and it passes through the building to provide access to the parking deck.

I don't have a guess about the number of units.

they are certainly not perfect, but I did appreciate the amount of facade variation this project has (porches in front, decks in back, doorless passageways through buildings etc.) but my knowledge of architecture and design is limited.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I went by the Dilworth Billiards location today and there is drywall with seams taped and nothing else. No ladders, nothing. There is a suspension of work inside at that location for some reason. I saw the owner a week or two ago and he is fitting the place on his own dime now. Perhaps he wants to go no further for the tenant to finish to suit. He said law firm or some such as a target though that was just talk. Leasing sign in the window. New landscaping outside.

52 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

^ Without a doubt, the ugliest new apartment complex in Charlotte. Dilworth would have done better to keep the Walgreen's.

I just heckled them on Twitter.  They will probably block me like Presley Uptown did.  Never thought I'd live to see the day I got blocked on twitter by apartment complexes, haha.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I just heckled them on Twitter.  They will probably block me like Presley Uptown did.  Never thought I'd live to see the day I got blocked on twitter by apartment complexes, haha.

Camden southline and Camden gallery regularly interact with one another on social media. When they do, I usually comment on two buildings talking to one another on a literal level. My jokes are lost on Camden Southline but Camden gallery plays along and contributes.  

And this… of all posts. was my 5000th

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

News flash: WSOCTV obtained a rendering of the Catellus Group hotel in Dilworth. 

I guess no one over there reads UP or they would have been able to obtain that same rendering sometime in summer 2014...Good to know the local coverage is only 2 years behind.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/developer-plans-new-hotel-in-dilworth/185892226

I heard that there would be some upgrades to these renderings, since it'll be a kimpton property. We might see a similar design, but higher quality materials. Hopefully its just a different design. Because this looks like a Crowne Point Hilton Garden, not a Dilworth Kimpton.

Lets not forget the condos behind and on top of 131 Main had high amounts of radon and it had to mitigated several years ago at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars to the developer, contractor etc. 

Here is the article on the radon and look what it is the picture 131 Main http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/05/03/story5.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1