Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 3 weeks later...

One point of this forum in general is that it can highlight such achievable goals such as moving lines, wires and poles. This photo is but one of so very many that have appeared within these pages. It can be an unforgivable transgression.

47 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can you believe they ddin't bury a single line around an otherwise relatively attractive building. This is a travesty.

p1Ad46aT.thumb.jpg.b54177274ccc2625a79b446b6bf4e759.jpg

Photo Credit: Rhodium on Skyscraper city 

On 1/31/2017 at 6:25 PM, tarhoosier said:

The brick facade is complete. There is no "working out" at this point. I only wish they could. This failure was was identified by an architect as we were regarding the building this past week. He said anyone in his office who produced such a result would be out the door. There are other issues but let it rest.

I've been passing this on Park recently and looking over there, trying to get offended... I haven't been able to yet.  I plan to make another attempt soon.  Perhaps if I sit in the parking lot for a while....  hopefully it won't take me too long to eventually be offended.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JBS said:

Is it really that hard to design a decent looking building?  How does this pass design review?  Forgettably awful...

What happened to the retail!?

57 minutes ago, JBS said:

Is it really that hard to design a decent looking building?  How does this pass design review?  Forgettably awful...

Just to be clear, there is no such thing as an aesthetic design review in Mecklenburg County unless you fall inside a historic district. Permit review is focused on rezoning/site stormwater issues and code compliance of a project.

14 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Just to be clear, there is no such thing as an aesthetic design review in Mecklenburg County unless you fall inside a historic district. Permit review is focused on rezoning/site stormwater issues and code compliance of a project.

This is starting to change.  There is a new "Urban Design" department. They currently have a role in plan review and approval for all projects in the "urban core".  While you are absolutely correct, this does not constituent an aesthetic review, it is a step in the right direction.

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What happened to the retail!?

maybe it is on the Morehead side.

• Like 1

I can forgive an awful design if there is some good interaction at street level but this is just getting ridiculous.  What side of the building is this?  It looks to be the side facing Kenilworth, if so maybe the retail is on the Morehead side?  I'll try to dig up the site plan for this to see if they did plan to have retail.  

12 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

I can forgive an awful design if there is some good interaction at street level but this is just getting ridiculous.  What side of the building is this?  It looks to be the side facing Kenilworth, if so maybe the retail is on the Morehead side?  I'll try to dig up the site plan for this to see if they did plan to have retail.  

This is actually facing morehead. LOL. Kenilworth is to the left, morehead to the right.

Edited by Guest

OK, to answer my own question above, this is the Kenilworth side of the building, the main corner showing is the corner of Kenilworth and Harding.  The retail will be located on the corner of Kenilworth and Morehead, so this rendering doesn't really show that side so i'm less concerned now. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is actually facing morehead. LOL. Kenilworth is to the left, morehead to the right.

No, the road on the left is Harding Place. I just looked over the site plan and other renderings.  I'll post for everyone to see. 

18 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

OK, to answer my own question above, this is the Kenilworth side of the building, the main corner showing is the corner of Kenilworth and Harding.  The retail will be located on the corner of Kenilworth and Morehead, so this rendering doesn't really show that side so i'm less concerned now. 

No, the road on the left is Harding Place. I just looked over the site plan and other renderings.  I'll post for everyone to see. 

Sorry, I uploaded the wrong file. 

final-corner-morehead-kenilworth-no-car*1024xx4000-2250-0-375.jpg

Yep, that's the corner of Kenilworth and Morehead.  Now i agree, this building looks like crap and the street level is pretty rough but at least they still plan to have retail at that corner.  

One last thing, would it kill these developer to throw in a little hardscaping?

East Morehead Site Plan.pdf

Edited by jtmonk
added attachment

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...