Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

7 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Please excuse my ignorance but I remember seeing something about a High Rise development (Hotel/Residential) proposed by Levine for Midtown adjacent to the Metropolitan couple years ago (maybe 2014/2015).  Is that not proposed any longer?

The city approved the rezoning in 2014 and then the project went into Levine Limbo, a place where it looks like things might happen but never do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2018 at 2:46 PM, kermit said:

Rumor has it that the  outparcel / small office space at Park Square (Fran's Fiamma, Ru Sans) is about to be scraped and replaced w retail (patio-oriented restaurant space, etc.)

image.png.7d0594cce12dee165eaf9145fc046d98.png

And it’s gone....

FA1889E7-0001-4B9B-8E3A-E60D0E6A7F0D.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

East Morehead street office building sells for approx $500 a sq ft to the Swiss.  From the subscriber article

""500 East Morehead traded for nearly $500 per square foot, second only to 615 South College on a per-square-foot basis in Charlotte. 615 South College sold to CBRE Global Investors at a rate of about $590 per square foot earlier this summer. Pricing for this expansion cycle's development is markedly aboveprevious records, allowing Charlotte office investment sales to catch up to peer markets.""   $88.5 million purchase. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/27/newly-delivered-midtown-office-building-trades.html?ana=e_clt_bn_newsalert&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1535407695&j=83505761

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Boutique office building planned for Dilworth.  

From a subscriber only article Charlotte Business Journal

""Selwyn Property Group will build a 20,000-square-foot, boutique office building at 605 Lexington Ave., after acquiring the 0.8-acre site earlier this summer. The site sits between South Caldwell Street and Euclid Avenue, across from The Lexington Dilworth apartments and down the street from the Dowd YMCA. Selwyn paid nearly $1.9 million for the site in June, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/09/06/boutique-office-project-planned-for-dilworth-site.html

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Boutique office building planned for Dilworth.  

From a subscriber only article Charlotte Business Journal

""Selwyn Property Group will build a 20,000-square-foot, boutique office building at 605 Lexington Ave., after acquiring the 0.8-acre site earlier this summer. The site sits between South Caldwell Street and Euclid Avenue, across from The Lexington Dilworth apartments and down the street from the Dowd YMCA. Selwyn paid nearly $1.9 million for the site in June, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/09/06/boutique-office-project-planned-for-dilworth-site.html

Aw man, does the subscriber article say anything about the house/office on the property is coming down as a part of the project?  Its sort of a cool building.  The only thing I can find on it says it was built in 1910.  Anyone know if there is anything unique/historically significant about it?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to get clarity on that.  It was marketed def for ground-lease.  It's a family that owns it, and internal squabbling killed the last time it was under contract back 20 years ago.  I assumed there was a trustee that was looking at a ground lease as a way around family dispute or tax or whatever the issue is/was.

That said, I trust the source on this and it was as def sale with the price attached, so maybe that amount of money was enough to patch things over.

All that said, it is likely contingent on rezoning, so we'll see what happens.

• Like 2

MUDD-O I would assume.  Even though the PED overlay allows some additional height by right, the 300-400' proximity to single-family zoning would cap this at ~75'.  I think they would need a bit more height to make that land price work.

As a neighbor, I'd support it if it's high quality materials.....not 8-10 floors of EIFS.

• Like 2

Since Atrium Health will be spending a $1 Billion in development and with a lot of that here in Midtown and near their existing main campus I will put this here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/12/11/how-atrium-health-plans-to-spend-its-1b-capital.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-12-11&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1544568538&j=85482191

• Like 2

Ashley over at the Business Journal has an article about a new townhome and apartment project in Dilworth.

""SunCap Property Group recently filed a rezoning petition to build up to 12 townhouses and 70 apartments fronting Kenilworth Avenue, between Pierce Street and Romany Road. The proposed project would cover multiple parcels on Kenilworth and Waverly Avenue, which runs parallel to Kenilworth, on land that measures about 1.8 acres and today includes single-family homes, according to the rezoning petition.  The site is two streets over from Atrium Health's midtown medical campus, an area that's seen a lot of construction activity from the health-care system and others. Atrium is underway on its expansion of the Levine Cancer Institute, a seven-story, 260,000-square-foot building under construction near the intersection of Kenilworth Avenue and Morehead Street, and apartment communities like 1010 Dilworth and Lincoln at Dilworth have recently delivered.""

subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/12/19/charlotte-developer-plans-for-sale-apartment.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-12-19&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1545251408&j=85638641

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

More sad updates for the hotel (someday) going in the gravel lot on Cleveland & E Worthington. Sad enough for me to register on UP to complain.

Kimpton was going to build a six-story 128-room  "lifestyle boutique" hotel with a pool and rooftop restaurant/bar opening in 2017. When those plans cratered, the owner sold to OmShera, who planned a Courtyard by Marriott with more generic design but otherwise mostly similar. Would prefer a Kimpton to a Courtyard by Mariott and lost the appealing design, but still had the rooftop at least. Now they've apparently changed it to a five-story 135-room hotel,  no rooftop elements, and above ground park deck rather than burying the lower level.  By the time it's built, I just hope it's a Howard Johnson and not something with rooms that open up to the parking lot. This will be the first hotel in Dilworth, has an amazing location, and had the chance to be something special with design elements that fit the neighborhood, decent blending/screening for such a large structure, and a unique rooftop space that would offer something to the community.  Now we'll have a beige, nondescript Marriott there for decades. Sweet... Really disappointed in OmShera, Overcash Demmitt, Marriott, Charlotte Planning, and whoever else I can blame for really blowing this opportunity for something great with cost-cutting and mediocrity. Full rezoning doc from Dec 20.

So we went from this...

Image result for worthington cleveland hotel

...to this...

Dilworth%20Restaurant%202.jpg

...and finally settled on this...

image.png.0d092febaa1a8157851794a644f2121f.png

There are worse injustices in the world, but still a bummer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, mw213 said:

More sad updates for the hotel (someday) going in the gravel lot on Cleveland & E Worthington. Sad enough for me to register on UP to complain.

Kimpton was going to build a six-story 128-room  "lifestyle boutique" hotel with a pool and rooftop restaurant/bar opening in 2017. When those plans cratered, the owner sold to OmShera, who planned a Courtyard by Marriott with more generic design but otherwise mostly similar. Would prefer a Kimpton to a Courtyard by Mariott and lost the appealing design, but still had the rooftop at least. Now they've apparently changed it to a five-story 135-room hotel,  no rooftop elements, and above ground park deck rather than burying the lower level.  By the time it's built, I just hope it's a Howard Johnson and not something with rooms that open up to the parking lot. This will be the first hotel in Dilworth, has an amazing location, and had the chance to be something special with design elements that fit the neighborhood, decent blending/screening for such a large structure, and a unique rooftop space that would offer something to the community.  Now we'll have a beige, nondescript Marriott there for decades. Sweet... Really disappointed in OmShera, Overcash Demmitt, Marriott, Charlotte Planning, and whoever else I can blame for really blowing this opportunity for something great with cost-cutting and mediocrity. Full rezoning doc from Dec 20.

So we went from this...

Image result for worthington cleveland hotel

...to this...

Dilworth%20Restaurant%202.jpg

...and finally settled on this...

image.png.0d092febaa1a8157851794a644f2121f.png

There are worse injustices in the world, but still a bummer.

I mean, it went from bad rendering, and ugly, to better rendering and ugly, back to bad rendering and ugly.  We should be applauding anything going there to be honest. 

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean, it went from bad rendering, and ugly, to better rendering and ugly, back to bad rendering and ugly.  We should be applauding anything going there to be honest. 

Agreed that the initial wasn't the most beautiful design in the world, but it at least had some interesting window/glass elements and didn't look like a generic corporate park hotel. Raising the parking and scrapping the rooftop restaurant are what really kill me though, since those were two items negotiated with the Dilworth Community Association to add to the neighborhood and then just unceremoniously dumped likely to save money. You have to admit that what is now being planned is a far cry from the fancy (if abstract) Kimpton plans that initially pushed through the hotel idea/re-zoning.

I may have Stockholm Syndrome from seeing the current gravel pit every day, but I was hoping whenever it was finally developed it would be something interesting and not so meh.