Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

From the Dilworth Express Newsletter (online):

As you can see, there's a LOT of construction going on in Dilworth that is resulting in street closures. Much of the closures have to do with stormwater issues. The goal with the new work is to update and expand wastewater and stormwater infrastructure, and to reduce street and structure flooding throughout the neighborhood.

Road closures and subsequent signage are located with the primary goal of ensuring resident access to driveways through this process. Storm Water staff have coordinated, and continue to coordinate, with the staff at Dilworth Elementary, CMS Transportation, CMPD, and Charlotte DOT as needed to try to adjust "Road Closed" signage to reduce through traffic during this process. 

Detours have been posted, but what makes traffic routing and detours in this area extremely difficult is the fact that the intersection of South Boulevard and E. Morehead are not “on-grade” (E. Morehead is a bridge over South Boulevard), meaning that traffic cannot be easily detoured back and forth from East Boulevard and E. Morehead via South Boulevard because vehicles cannot turn directly onto either of those streets. Most streets through the neighborhood are narrow with on-street parking, and there is heavy pedestrian traffic around Dilworth Elementary and around the YMCA which that compounds the issue. This is somewhat of a work in progress, the City is trying to work out site-specific traffic control issues over the next few weeks.
33a4489b-c675-43cf-94f6-a8dad983e79f.png
S.gif
S.gif S.gif
Please adhere to the detour signs, we know it's frustrating, especially with the Greek Fest and other festivals that will be in Dilworth over the next few weeks, but it's even worse ignoring the closures or not paying attention to them as you'll wind up having to turn around, and that's even more frustrating.

Here are some specifics about the construction:
  • The intersection of Myrtle and Lexington will be closed for an extended duration starting September 9 for the installation of the new tunnel shaft. From that intersection the crew will be able to tunnel back down Lexington to tie into the 84-inch stormwater pipe that has been installed from Oriole Ave. Once that connection is made, the crew will turn their operation within the intersection and start tunneling the 84-inch stormwater pipe under Myrtle Ave to the intersection of Myrtle and Templeton. There is a substantial amount of rock in this area, so blasting within the tunnel will be required under permit from the Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal’s Office. This is taking longer than expected because, during the tunneling operation for the 84-inch stormwater pipe under Lexington Avenue, there were unexpected safety issues for the construction crew due to the way the rock was fracturing within the tunnel shaft. As a result the tunneling operation was relocated from the intersection of Oriole Ave and Lexington Ave up to Myrtle Ave and Lexington Ave. 
  • The intersection of Euclid Ave and Templeton Ave was recently closed for the installation of a tunnel shaft in that location. From that intersection, the tunneling crew will install 80-inch stormwater pipe under Euclid Ave down to the Charlotte Housing Authority property, and then turn their operation to tunnel 80-inch stormwater pipe under Templeton Ave down to Myrtle Ave.
  • Work continues on the Charlotte Housing Authority property in two locations. One crew is working to increase capacity of the wastewater system under South Boulevard. The second crew is installing stormwater and wastewater pipes across the property toward Cleveland Ave. As part of the work in this area there is a large water treatment system to treat contaminated groundwater that is being pumped out of the work zone.
  • For those of you who want to read more, check out the JulyProjectUpdate or Myrtle/Morehead updates.
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, kermit said:

Greekfest makes it clear that no one in Charlotte understands how to parallel park.

Greekfest also brings into stark relief how many people are unfamiliar with driving in "the city." Some of the stuff I've seen pulled in the past two days has been breathtaking. No regard for pedestrians, inability to negotiate tight passages on the street, unawareness of where it is safe (or sane) to put people out on the curb, etc. I'm not going to draw and distinctions based on car marking indicating locale or origin. Charlotte drivers may not be the best, but at least we're mostly aggressive.  :tw_smirk:

17 hours ago, southslider said:

^the one time angled parking is acceptable on East Blvd

I'm fascinated that the churches are able to negotiate this with the city. I wish we had real parking enforcement and alternating side parking so the streets could get swept with some regularity.

• Like 1

my friend heard this rumor about the Starbucks at East Blvd and Scott. He said he heard the Starbucks and the Key Man offices next door and another retail property might be demolished to build a 6 story medical office building.   Anyone else hear this or is this real coffee shop talk?? Building by Atrium of course. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

my friend heard this rumor about the Starbucks at East Blvd and Scott. He said he heard the Starbucks and the Key Man offices next door and another retail property might be demolished to build a 6 story medical office building.   Anyone else hear this or is this real coffee shop talk?? Building by Atrium of course. 

sounds like the beginning of the end of east blvd if that's the case

• Sad 1

New sharrows on Magnolia and Eucld (and probably more) directing bikes to McDonald  to cross S blvd (at the soon to be completed new light I assume).

I guess I applaud the city for thinking about bike riders, but sharrows are stupid , particularly on quiet neighborhood streets. We don't really provide wayfinding like this for cars either.

(Who pissed in my cornflakes this morning?)

DCDDFE4E-54FA-46DC-BA05-48EC65D9C22A.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, XCltRunner said:

Thanks.  I appreciate the greenway upgrades they seem to be planning!   Not much else to tell without really knowing what each zone is for.

Does the left side of this take away existing houses? I'm not too familiar with how far the property goes now.  Poor people on the corner of Lombardy Cir.  They're about to get a new neighbor...

12 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Last I heard, it went under contract, but that fell through during due diligence.   I heard a couple months ago they were in serious discussions with 2 different potential buyers, but haven't heard anything solid since then.

It was under contract to one of my contacts for hotel and maybe residential, they walked away, and are looking for different sites in Charlotte.

4 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

That whole stretch of East has such a weird vibe. Lots of restaurants in a small area, plenty of people but the feeling on foot is not super pleasant due to the nature of (relatively) high speed traffic on East and Scott/Kennilworth being such a major cross-town street. 

Agreed, although the traffic on the dieted portion of East is much less oppressive. The patio at East-West is fairly pleasant while the sidewalk at Inishmore or open doors at Bakersfield can be awful at times.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kermit said:

Agreed, although the traffic on the dieted portion of East is much less oppressive. The patio at East-West is fairly pleasant while the sidewalk at Inishmore or open doors at Bakersfield can be awful at times.

East Blvd prior to the diet was a death trap.  I used to watch collisions from the restaurant patios.

• Sad 1