Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Correction: Mrs Jones had lived there for nearly 80 years when I was in the neighborhood. That house is Queen Anne style which is a collection of elements combined, as is apparent from the photos; a mix and match of parts. That is Queen Anne architecture, a residential style of the late 1800's..

https://www.carolinahome.com/home/3559218
This is an amazing house for Charlotte, not so unusual in larger and older cities. But this is ours. The builder of this home in 1891 was a wood and millwork agent and the interior is a testament to his goods. Even today wood means luxury and expense. The original owner sold it to the Joneses in 1894 (as I recall) and when I moved to Dilworth Mrs. Jones had lived there for 70 years and then died. It was purchased from the estate by lawyer Mercer Blankenship who owned it for 23 years so one change in owner in 100+ years. It is amazing inside as it has been preserved by the recent owners and is as original as can be. There is a narrow passageway from the rear of the first floor kitchen between the kitchen and dining room walls so service would not interrupt the owners. Call buttons from the rooms were to the kitchen in an earl electric communication system. Oh, there is more.
In 1974-75 I lived in a similar house a block away with similar size and features, original gas jets for lighting, later converted to electricity. A tub similar to the one photographed here and rigged as a shower in a similar way. That house at 301 E Kingston has been notably renovated and adapted for today's life. This one, not so much. A very special buyer is needed. This house will own you.
Everything I tell you is from my memory so if you find corrections you may post them or notify me.

Very cool story thanks@tarhoosier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

That ghost building in the midst must be Strawn tower.

Strawn Tower almost certainly was named for Zeb C Strawn, president of Citizens Savings and Loan bank and Charlotte News (afternoon paper) Man of the Year in 1949. The Strawn family home was at 1215 Biltmore in Eastover.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

The Ledger reports today that the Epicurean lot is under contract:

Grey Poole of Selwyn Property Group tells the Ledger that his firm has it under contract. “We are in the preliminary stages of our due diligence, so I really don’t have any more details,” he wrote in an email.

Word around Dilworth is that the developer is eyeing a five- or six-story office building with underground parking and retail on the first floor. Property records show the lot contains three parcels totaling a little more than 1 acre. The tax value of the land is $2.2M. The property is being marketed by Lincoln Harris, according to a sign there.

The site is zoned for “neighborhood services” (NS), so it could require a rezoning. Selwyn Property Group has hired Collin Brown of Alexander Ricks, one of Charlotte’s best-known land use lawyers.

I hope this doesn't fall through. Would be really nice to see this land developed. It has sat empty for way too long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Although I never ate there, I vaguely remember The Epicurean before it was demo'd.  I Googled for images and can't seem to find anything on it.  If only there were someone here who has a trove of photos of Charlotte in years past...

You can try to see if “Charlotte over the years” on Facebook has any. 

Edited by Temeteron

5 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

I, too, will admit to being old enough to remember the Epicurean.  Mostly from dinners with my parents, but a couple of date nights in its last years.

Some called it the EpiCURean, others the EpicurEan.  The latter was deemed more sophisticated.

It was the place to take business or social guests to dine if you weren't a member of a country club, or even if you were and were tired of the club -- or if it was a Monday, when the clubs' dining rooms were closed.  In fact, many of the waiters (all black, if memory serves) worked both at the clubs and at the Epicurean.  Sure, there were other places to take one's clients, but they were mostly on the "wrong" side of town; the Epicurean, on the other hand, was on the edge of Dilworth, and within blocks of Myers Park.

It was a steakhouse.  A damn good one, but a steakhouse nonetheless.  That's what Charlotte was, lacking liquor by the drink.  Sure, the Epicurean could turn out a good lobster, or a broiled salmon, lamb chops, or a roast chicken -- I guess; I never had one.  Steak was the thing, a New York Strip, or a filet, and a huge baked potato.   I remember the appetizer (was it complimentary with dinner, or was it extra?  I can't remember) of spanakopita, spinach and cheese in phyllo, one of the only hints that it was a Greek establishment.  And, of course, the bottle of Dewar's my father would bring along.  The waiter would bring a bucket of ice, a jigger, bottles of club soda, and glasses.  Lime wedges and tonic water, of course, were provided if gin or vodka was the spirit of choice.  Wine and beer were available, though I'm sure the list was meager by today's standards.

My fondest memory was the first time I took a date to the establishment.  The waiter, who recognized me because he also worked at a country club my father was a member of, and also because I'd been there with my parents, greeted me with "good to see you tonight, Mr. Southernnorthcarolina," and asked if we'd like a beer or a glass of wine.  Never mind that we were both 17 (a year shy of legality at the time).  My date was mightily impressed that I was known in such an establishment, and that I commanded influence sufficient to bend the law.

I wish this post never ended. Very interesting to read! What year was that date if you don't mind sharing?

Edited by t_money

5 hours ago, t_money said:

I wish this post never ended. Very interesting to read! What year was that date if you don't mind sharing?

Mid 1980s -- 1984 as a guess.  Funny how the passage of time blurs the details.  Now that I think about it, this wasn't quite during the "last years" of the Epicurean, which was open, I think, into the mid-90s.  

Also, by then, Charlotte had liquor by the drink, and the Epicurean was getting a lot of competition, and began to look a bit stodgy (and its customers much older) by comparison.  It persisted in its practice of hiring black waiters almost exclusively (I can't put a year on the end of that practice, maybe 1990 or so), many of whom worked in the kitchens, dining rooms, and fairways of local country clubs.  I recall at least two who caddied on weekend mornings and afternoons (two big bags, two 18-hole rounds), and who were waiters at the Epicurean on weekend nights.  They must have been exhausted!  So a 50-year-old black waiter would call my 17-year-old self "Mr. Southernnorthcarolina," and I'd call him by his first name.  It is extremely uncomfortable in retrospect, but I thought nothing of it at the time.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

greeted me with "good to see you tonight, Mr. Southernnorthcarolina," and asked if we'd like a beer or a glass of wine. 

I wouldn't have been able to breath for a few minutes from laughter if someone addressed me as Mr. Southernnorthcarolina.

Edited by nicholas
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

And, of course, the bottle of Dewar's my father would bring along.  The waiter would bring a bucket of ice, a jigger, bottles of club soda, and glasses.  Lime wedges and tonic water, of course, were provided if gin or vodka was the spirit of choice.

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/how-charlotte-got-liquored-up/

I was at this bag burning party. Set ups was the name for a diner bringing their liquor and the establishment providing the rest of the accouterments. Better establishments had this option. Quotidian dining places relied on food and beer only.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nicholas said:

I wouldn't have been able to breath for a few minutes if someone addressed me as Mr. Southernnorthcarolina.

Haha.  Sounds like a body-building contest winner.  "Mr. Southernnorthcarolina" will compete for the title of "mr. Universe" next month."

Of course, neither my real last name, and certainly not my stature, were "Southernnorthcarolina" -- my real last name is two syllables, not seven.  My screen name is a reference to my physical location, close to the SC line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2