Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

My friend went to the Dilworth Starbucks and saw this sign.  They are not leaving the spot for about 3 years according to the manager there even though the site was sold.  They are renovating the store should be there a few more  years.  

starbuckssign.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My friend went to the Dilworth Starbucks and saw this sign.  They are not leaving the spot for about 3 years according to the manager there even though the site was sold.  They are renovating the store should be there a few more  years.  

starbuckssign.jpg

Is that the one on East Blvd and Scott Ave?  

By the way, are there plans to redevelop that huge lot across the street from it?  That’s such a prime location.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 4:32 PM, KJHburg said:

starbuckssign.jpg

That’s odd to me.  They just remodeled this store maybe 5 or so years ago.  It doesn’t feel dated and is always packed.  The parking lot ties with Midtown TJs in the constantly-jammed competition, so it’s not like they need to remodel an old store that is losing customers because of it.  Interesting...

23 hours ago, turbocraig said:

That’s odd to me.  They just remodeled this store maybe 5 or so years ago.  It doesn’t feel dated and is always packed.  The parking lot ties with Midtown TJs in the constantly-jammed competition, so it’s not like they need to remodel an old store that is losing customers because of it.  Interesting...

Plot twist: The store never actually reopens. Owner moves to another state. Building sits empty for 3 years.

14 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

Speaking that the rezoning is on file, and the building will no longer exist when the MOB breaks ground, I'm not sure why they are claiming they are renovating.

my friend asked he said the manager said it will be a few more years

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks.  

Do you know anything about the empty lot across the street?

Someone passive aggressively answered that question for you a few posts ago. So now I shall too.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Any idea on height/number of stories?

Also, that looks like a small layout for the building versus the garage.

85' tall. What you see there wouldn't be the footprint of the building, but of the ground floor retail (10,000 sq feet) I'm sure within that would be the lobby, and other floors would be larger than that footprint.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

Here is the site plan for the spot across the street from Starbucks.

image.thumb.png.063b1a8244375e2b930ec532658d7b58.png

Thanks.  I missed the prior post.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:25 PM, t_money said:

The previous posts in this forum are basically all discussing that lot...

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/dilworths-long-vacant-epicurean-lot

Thanks.  I didn't realize that this empty lot was the Epicurean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks.  I missed the prior post.

Thanks.  I didn't realize that this empty lot was the Epicurean.

No problem. I realized after I posted, that the connection with Epicurean probably wasn't made. Sorry for my passive aggressive post :X

4 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

Here is the site plan for the spot across the street from Starbucks.

image.thumb.png.063b1a8244375e2b930ec532658d7b58.png

That entrance/exit on East will be terrible!

At least there is actually a site plan. Seems like something might actually happen.  Is there a rendering ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ricky_bobby_fan_26 said:

I'm surprised about the Starbucks remodeling as well, I thought the redevelopment of that area would occur on a much shorter timeline.  Almost as surprised as when "Ricky Davis Fan" changed his name... now mine seems much less humorous.  

I'm very curious about what is loosely being referred to as the "Jim Gross affiliated project" on East Blvd and Lombardy Cir.  My backyard/kitchen window gets some very harsh Western sun in the evening.  I'm curious if a five story building is enough to block it, or I should be hoping for the eight story building being closer to me.  If anyone has information they can't post publicly feel free to message me.  If I feel entitled to a little extra information, who should I try and reach out to?  I've seen references to both the architect and the LLC affiliated with the project.

A while back, someone asked about property owners on Lombardy Cir receiving large offers.  This did occur, but only for properties directly adjacent to the lots on East Blvd.  Some further down the street received "letters of interest" but upon reaching out were told the developer was happy with their current site plan.  Slightly up the street offers existed but were not above market value for the house.  The last of the houses the developer did purchase went for what is in my opinion, a very small premium.  From what I've heard, the corner house on the street was slightly bullied, and in my opinion not adequately compensated.  The nice elderly couple should have been treated better.  I did receive several phone calls from a business that presented themselves as something resembling a "we buy junk houses"/distressed properties company.  The timing was correct to be related to the development.  They may have been gauging my interest in selling, although I tend to think it was just coincidence.

The greenway improvements that will add an entrance onto Lombardy Cir are fantastic.  I'm bummed about the timeline, as it seems like it will be a considerable period of time before they are even started.  The hospital redevelopment/investment seems to have spurred other investments in the area, which I believe is wonderful.  (Its a shame the People's Market couldn't hold on a little longer, it was perfect for that spot.)  I was disappointed when I went to a recent meeting regarding the hospital, only to hear people were able to push back the reconnection of fountain view to loop rd.  They even spoke about losing houses to proposed green space.  A developer has assembled every house on the street, residential is not the future of fountain view.  The lack of that connection will make the hospital redevelopment more difficult, exacerbating  the traffic issues the same people are complaining about.  That attitude is in my opinion why the "Jim Gross development" is only three stories on Lombardy Cir.  Maybe homeowners need to shift their focus from trying to prevent change, to helping new development properly compensate them as land use appropriately shifts.  Higher density might have let the developer adequately compensate the people they are displacing.  My heart does go out to several of my elderly neighbors, one of whom bought their home when they returned from WW2.  The younger people, I feel like could have seen where the neighborhood is headed.

I grew up twenty-five miles outside of Washington D.C.  When my parents bought their first home there was:  one subdivision, one strip mall, and farmland.  My hometown now hosts office buildings with government contractors, townhouses, and exemplifies urban sprawl.  When I purchased my home, my brother commented that I should have bought a condo in downtown where I could walk everywhere.  I told him that I did, I just needed to wait a decade.  It seems I was off by about 1-2 years.  I think Lombardy Cir will end up looking like a slightly less dense Harding Ave.  Some old houses mixed in with some mid-rise development.  I've seen comments on this forum about similar things happening in Atlanta, and to me it seems like a great amount of density to be part of.  I think my little pocket of Charlotte is one of the most livable places; close to Freedom Park, the greenway, uptown, Park Road, Myers Park.... the list keeps going.  It makes sense that more people would want to live in it than single family homes allow for.  There also isn't anything wrong with a mix of old and new, so I might still be around for a while.

.... can someone at least hook a homeowner up with a site plan though!

Firstly, LOVE the name. LOL. Secondly, check your DMs.

On 3/11/2020 at 2:05 PM, t_money said:

No problem. I realized after I posted, that the connection with Epicurean probably wasn't made. Sorry for my passive aggressive post :X

That entrance/exit on East will be terrible!

At least there is actually a site plan. Seems like something might actually happen.  Is there a rendering ?

It finally felt like something might happen with this site.  Given the current market, I would guess there is a decent chance this gets shelved again.  Sigh.

That said, (I agree that) the entrance/exit on East would be god awful.  Maybe with the passage of time the Jersey Mike's lot will be made available and the whole block can be developed consistently and we can avoid having an entrance/exit on East (instead have one on Kenilworth and one on Scott).  

• 2 weeks later...