Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

31 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - Residents in Dilworth must be nervous.  Me personally I’d love it if I lived nearby.  Hopefully the Council will approve the Rezoning without too much hassle

They are mortified, not because of the height, as much as the fact that nobody is going to want to buy their houses, at fair market value, as Atrium gobbles up lots.

Edited by Guest

Ugh, I am not really a fan from an architectural perspective but I understand the necessity.

One change I would like to see in this part of the neighborhood is for Freedom park to have a more urban feel (it currently feels like it is walled in to me). I wonder if some reconfiguration of the park entrance along with this tower lurking in the background could help with that.

Sure do wish we had better information on medical school plans to go along with this discussion, they way these parts fit together is important to the future of this part of town.

Edited by kermit

23 hours ago, CLT> said:

From further up in the thread

cbj-atriumsangertopout-32.thumb.jpg.fb987bcb72a9ae943a8de1d319db2799.jpg

Is the building on the left to be built on the parking area just south of the main building?  CMC/Atrium is one of the nicest hospitals I've ever been to, and I'm fond of it since all of my kids were born there.  CMC's facilities are much nicer than Duke's, though Duke is the better hospital.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:56 AM, t_money said:

image.thumb.png.67e2ec6b5c3104e4192fb71a3c3d334f.png

I could see why that guy would be mad. Charlotte has 520 people per hospital bed (compared to 400 people/bed median). Not where a fast growing city would want to be long term.

https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/how-hospital-capacity-varies-dramatically-across-the-country/574892/

That guy is Atrium (they own that house)

On 5/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Is the building on the left to be built on the parking area just south of the main building?  CMC/Atrium is one of the nicest hospitals I've ever been to, and I'm fond of it since all of my kids were born there.  CMC's facilities are much nicer than Duke's, though Duke is the better hospital.

The building on the left is where the Carolinas Rehabilitation Hospital and the Visitor Parking deck are located.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

When did they tear that down? I remember there being a Long Horn close to Dilworth when I was growing up!

I think it was 2007 (ish). The Ozark Bank / Charlotte Radiology office building is there now.

Edit: Yup, 2007. The always reliable Charlotte Eats has the details: http://charlotteeats.blogspot.com/2008/11/longhorn-steakhouse.html

Longhorn-Morehead001.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Not to be confused with the slightly longer lasting and more original "Frankie's" a block east of there.

Yea, I miss Frankie's too. That block was once a decent restaurant row (Longhorn, Frankies, Art's, Dilworth Bar and Grill and there were various pretty good sub shops in the strip center (adjacent to Art's) as well). Only one of those places remains, I guess its good for property values, but its bad for my stomach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Not to be confused with the slightly longer lasting and more original "Frankie's" a block east of there.

I was born in '90 and as a the world's pickiest eater, I stopped letting my parents take me to Frankie's after I found a piece of spaghetti in my penne and refused to eat there after...... I wish I could give it another chance

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Only temporary for drive up COVID testing.

21 minutes ago, kermit said:

Sadly Art's appears to be transitioning into just another medical office. I hope they were able to flush out the bacon smell.

E7635A2C-1FDB-4689-BB96-57BFEBC73605.jpeg

Still longer term plans to redevelop it with the adjoining now vacant H&R Block.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...