Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

5 minutes ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

I can't. This one would legitimately look better without the 'wrap'.  I would like to know what was discussed while these elevations were being drawn. 

Really!!? Like this one is actually an interesting take on a par king garage wrap even though you can still visibly see it’s a garage. And what’s wrong with the elevations? 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Took me a while to find it, but based on the little buildings adjacent I think this is the site at Harding and Berkeley

image.png

It looked like the buildings fit there, except that’s land that Atrium doesn’t own, nor was it rezoned for the medical school. 

Maybe some pressure on a future land deal? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CLT> said:

It looked like the buildings fit there, except that’s land that Atrium doesn’t own, nor was it rezoned for the medical school. 

I wondered that, too. It also shows the entire neighborhood between Greenwood Cliff and Harding Pl replaced by... other stuff. Either they spent a lot of money to render that thing in a different (but very specific) location, or there's a lot of land trading hands that we don't know about yet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

More importantly Wake and Atrium want to make the area from Charlotte to Winston the Silicon Valley of Health.

https://businessnc.com/atrium-envisions-silicon-valley-of-medical-research/

Not to get off topic, but this is a slap in the face to UNC Charlotte. I hope Wake works to bring them in and help develop the potential for the school to take over Wake's branch in Charlotte. I'm dreaming, but still...UNC Charlotte needs the opportunity to succeed, and if it is getting left out in its own back yard, that's a complete slap in the face to the mission of the university and the City. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Not to get off topic, but this is a slap in the face to UNC Charlotte. I hope Wake works to bring them in and help develop the potential for the school to take over Wake's branch in Charlotte. I'm dreaming, but still...UNC Charlotte needs the opportunity to succeed, and if it is getting left out in its own back yard, that's a complete slap in the face to the mission of the university and the City. 

I mean can’t we have a private medical college and a large public university in the same city? I don’t think it’s a slap in the face to uncc especially after atrium has tried and failed to partner with them before to create a med school. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

especially after atrium has tried and failed to partner with them before to create a med school. 

This is incorrect. The UNC System has dragged their feet on a medical school for the university, and the former Chancellor has been quoted as saying he didn't want to ruffle feathers for a medical school. And Atrium never approached UNC Charlotte for a medical school. They approached UNC Chapel Hill, and still have a program for 3rd and 4th year students for the Chapel Hill program. It was Presbyterian and Novant that reached out to UNC Charlotte about ten years ago, and Atrium (then CMC) and UNC system stepped in and stopped that. 

Not saying that Wake can't be in the city. Especially with the biomedical field that Wake specializes in. But I hope Wake makes the opportunity to build a bridge with UNC Charlotte and let that flourish as part of this Silicon Valley of Medicine that Atrium mentions. 

11 hours ago, CLT> said:

According to that article Atrium has $8B in cash and investments.  I feel like they could convince most people to sell their lands...

Would have to demolish a whole block to make that park though.

Since the school will become its own, substantial, activity node, the further away from CMC main the better. If this Morehead / Greenwood Cliffs location pans out I’ll be thrilled, I would really like to see some diversification away from law offices over there.

• Like 1

^ yup. The system makes expansion plans and funds those plans. Most of the blame lies with the system president and trustees who never wanted to invest in UNCC. But part of the blame also goes to the legislature, they never  bothered to listen to the smart folks who told them about the absolutely massive economic development benefits that would have come from a medical school in Charlotte — so they never wanted to make that payment to the system budget. A state funded med school would have paid for itself in a decade.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

As a native of Charlotte and a UNC Chapel Hill alum, I have long found it dismaying that Charlotte is the largest city in the United States without any of the following institutions: 

• (1) a full medical school; 
  • (2) an accredited law school; 
  • (3) a renowned music conservatory;
  • (4) a zoo or an aquarium; and
  • (5) a beautiful botanical garden.  

I think that Charlotte is such a lovely city and far prefer it to NYC or Boston, where I spent most of my working life.  Charlotte ought to have all of the above institutions since each of them is truly a sine qua non of any urbane and rising global city.  So I'm thrilled that Wake Forest University and Atrium Health have collaborated to bring to Charlotte the prestigious Wake Forest School of Medicine / Charlotte Campus.     

Let's take a look at #2 on the list of missing institutions  -  an accredited law school.   It's notable that 4 of the 5 largest cities in North Carolina have accredited law schools,  but Charlotte does not.  Raleigh has Campbell University's Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law.  Greensboro has Elon University's School of Law.  Durham has the Duke University School of Law.  Winston-Salem has the Wake Forest University School of Law.   Why shouldn't Charlotte, the largest city and metropolitan area between D.C. and Atlanta, have an accredited school of law at its most prominent and leading institution of higher education, UNC Charlotte?  It's axiomatic that an essential part of the urban fabric of every city of any size and distinction  in the world is a prestigious law school.  It's way past time for a law school to be established at our local champion, UNC Charlotte.   And it surely hinders Charlotte's advancement in the ranks of great American cities for it to continue to be labeled "the largest city in the country without an accredited law school."

As UPers, let's do what we can so that in 10 years, the city we love and call home - Charlotte - has laid the foundations for all of the above institutions, and so that it can no longer be said that Charlotte is the largest city in the country without any of these institutions.

We don’t need more law school. The majority of the ones that exist are pretty bad anyway. The previous Charlotte School of Law was pretty horrible with some of the worst bar passage rates in the nation.

UNC Charlotte could open one, but if I am being honest we do not need a law school or should we get one, not unless it is of a very high tier and the UNC system fully supports it

33 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

We don’t need more law school. The majority of the ones that exist are pretty bad anyway. The previous Charlotte School of Law was pretty horrible with some of the worst bar passage rates in the nation.

UNC Charlotte could open one, but if I am being honest we do not need a law school or should we get one, not unless it is of a very high tier and the UNC system fully supports it

The problem is we already have too many law schools and graduates of low ranked law schools have little to no realistic chance of gainful employment as lawyers.  Low ranked law schools are often predatory and do a disservice to their community.  Getting rid off Charlotte School of Law was good for Charlotte.

The thing is, it would be almost impossible for Charlotte to get a decently ranked law school because any new school wouldn't have the history or brand appeal to carry it as a prestigious institution.  The only precedent for a new law school bucking the trend of new=low ranked is UC Irvine in 2007.  They invested a ton of money to do that though.  They (1) gave a full ride to EVERY student in its inaugural class, (2) kept the class size intentionally low so the only students admitted were ones with high GPA and LSAT scores and (3) hired one of the most prestigious con law professors in the country as its first dean.  There is almost zero chance UNCC would have the will or resources to do any of that.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

The problem is we already have too many law schools and graduates of low ranked law schools have little to no realistic chance of gainful employment as lawyers.  Low ranked law schools are often predatory and do a disservice to their community.  Getting rid off Charlotte School of Law was good for Charlotte.

The thing is, it would be almost impossible for Charlotte to get a decently ranked law school because any new school wouldn't have the history or brand appeal to carry it as a prestigious institution.  The only precedent for a new law school bucking the trend of new=low ranked is UC Irvine in 2007.  They invested a ton of money to do that though.  They (1) gave a full ride to EVERY student in its inaugural class, (2) kept the class size intentionally low so the only students admitted were ones with high GPA and LSAT scores and (3) hired one of the most prestigious con law professors in the country as its first dean.  There is almost zero chance UNCC would have the will or resources to do any of that.  

I mean, they pulled Chemerinsky from Duke. If UNC wanted to they could build a great school here, but they don't. I actually think a school focused on legal compliance and finance would do well here, but it has to be of a higher caliber. No more schools like Charlotte School of Law.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, they pulled Chemerinsky from Duke. If UNC wanted to they could build a great school here, but they don't. I actually think a school focused on legal compliance and finance would do well here, but it has to be of a higher caliber. No more schools like Charlotte School of Law.

Law schools don't specialize/focus.  Or more accurately, law school specialization/focus is a marketing tool with little real world impact.  People care about what your law school's ranking is (and they really care), but no one cares what your law school's healthcare, environmental or other specialty ranking is (even if you are in that specialty.)   A classic example of this is environmental law.  Someone who wants to go into environmental law will get into Vermont or Lewis and Clark and go there because of how good it is for environmental law.  Unfortunately for that person, most places hiring for environmental law are going to hire someone from a better school (if similar grades and interest) and not think twice and how good a school's "Environmental Law program" is. 

The classic piece of advice is to go to the best law school that you get into that you can afford to go to.

Yes, UCI hired Chemerinsky from Duke.  But the offering free tuition for the first year and limiting class size to be selective were the more important factors.  What university in this area has the resources or desire to take that risk?

Also, probably most important reason why it wouldnt be successful here is that UNCC also doesn't have the prestige to pull it off.  UCI undergrad is ranked 36.  UNCC is 228.   UNCC would create a public version of Charlotte School of Law (cheaper so better, but equally bad employment prospects).  Davidson could probably pull it off for a small law school but it would be a huge risk for them.

48 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Law schools don't specialize/focus.  Or more accurately, law school specialization/focus is a marketing tool with little real world impact.  People care about what your law school's ranking is (and they really care), but no one cares what your law school's healthcare, environmental or other specialty ranking is (even if you are in that specialty.)   A classic example of this is environmental law.  Someone who wants to go into environmental law will get into Vermont or Lewis and Clark and go there because of how good it is for environmental law.  Unfortunately for that person, most places hiring for environmental law are going to hire someone from a better school (if similar grades and interest) and not think twice and how good a school's "Environmental Law program" is. 

The classic piece of advice is to go to the best law school that you get into that you can afford to go to.

Yes, UCI hired Chemerinsky from Duke.  But the offering free tuition for the first year and limiting class size to be selective were the more important factors.  What university in this area has the resources or desire to take that risk?

Also, probably most important reason why it wouldnt be successful here is that UNCC also doesn't have the prestige to pull it off.  UCI undergrad is ranked 36.  UNCC is 228.   UNCC would create a public version of Charlotte School of Law (cheaper so better, but equally bad employment prospects).  Davidson could probably pull it off for a small law school but it would be a huge risk for them.

Man, I went to law school, and in the past I was an attorney. Plenty of law schools have focuses, especially in LLM programs. Yes, rankings are extremely important unless you have a specific feeder. And Davidson doesn't have Grad programs, it is not their mission.