Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Man, I went to law school, and in the past I was an attorney. Plenty of law schools have focuses, especially in LLM programs. Yes, rankings are extremely important unless you have a specific feeder. And Davidson doesn't have Grad programs, it is not their mission. 

LLM programs do have specialties, but they are traditionally seen as "Lawyers losing money" programs with the exception of Tax.  

I wasn't saying that Davidson would open a law school -- I agree they won't -- I was just saying they could be prestigious enough to be successful if they did, UNCC isn't.

Also, I was really laying out a rule of thumb with specialties.  I am sure there are a lot of great environmental lawyers from Vermont school of law (which prides itself on environmental law).  My point was more that almost no employer is going to pick a VSL grad over a grad from a T14 school for an environmental job.  People care a lot about prestige in the law, but specialties don't enter that calculus.  

The apartment building on the corner of East and Euclid - across from Paper Skycrpaper - has been demolished.   331 East Blvd.   It had run down appearance, I think intentionally by the owners who have the adjacent vacant lot.  Combined it's about a third of an acre.  

• Sad 2

Many years ago that place was a duplex (4-plex?) and one unit upstairs was "Friends of Dorothy" bookstore.  I, knowing nothing, was pleased there was a new small bookstore in my neighborhood. I walked upstairs and was there for an extremely short time. This was an LGBT magazine/bookstore before there was such a term as LGBT.

There was a man going through trans change at the time and he lived in one of the units in that building. The current Paper Skyscraper was a Little General convenience/fortified wine/cigarette  store at that time. The store owners physically ejected the person from their store once as I was walking past accompanied with lots of threats, insults, and loud voices. Because of who he was, not due to any other action on his part. We had no gentry to -fy the neighborhood in those days.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, CriticalT said:

The apartment building on the corner of East and Euclid - across from Paper Skycrpaper - has been demolished.   331 East Blvd.   It had run down appearance, I think intentionally by the owners who have the adjacent vacant lot.  Combined it's about a third of an acre.  

Here's an update sent to the Dilworth Newsletter today: 

Land Use Update - 331 East Blvd Demolition

image.png.bae77ee134bd847a291d07d442f2ee8c.pngimage.png.f88e157b0da3645afd01c08c692efd88.png

The quadruplex at 331 East Boulevard was built around 1925 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Formerly known as the Miller Apartments, it was located on the corner of Euclid and East Boulevard, and was demolished last week.

The Tudor Revival apartment building was one of the first of its kind in Dilworth, and was most assuredly the oldest remaining until last week. You may remember the funky Magic Maze costume shop which used to sit on the lot next to this apartment building. A 2 ½ story wood frame bungalow built in 1915, it was demolished 100 years after it was built. The Magic Maze was allowed to deteriorate to the point that the damage was irreparable; the cost to renovate the Miller Apartment building simply scared buyers away. The demolition of the Magic Maze left 5 out of 13 original buildings on the block still standing, this one reduces that number to 4. The pattern repeats itself all along East Boulevard, where the majority of the beautiful original grand homes have either been demolished or modified beyond recognition. 

Demolition requests in the historic districts of Charlotte must be reviewed by the HDC staff and the Historic District Commission, a group of individuals who volunteer their time to preserve the history and character of Charlotte’s six older neighborhoods designated as historic districts. Per NC State Statute 160A-400.14, the Charlotte HDC cannot prevent or deny the demolition of properties. At most the HDC may delay the demolition request for a period of 365 days while alternatives to the demolition are sought by the property owner.

Hopefully, someday Charlotte’s historic districts will have the power to prevent our historic buildings from being torn down to simply make room for another average infill construction opportunity. Until that day comes, the loss of this building will remove another important thread from the fabric of our beautiful and historic Dilworth neighborhood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

That's a shame I looked at a place in that building 6-7 years ago and it was a relative steal and nice enough for it's area.  Unfortunately didn't work out where my lease lined up close enough to living there.  But I always liked that building.  I think we need more and not less of properties like this.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

speaking of tearing down old buildings (although I suspect we will miss this one less): CBJ reports on a pre-submittal for a demolition permit being filed for the Alpine Ski Center building.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/09/15/alpine-ski-center-site-dilworth-redevelopment.html

The filing mentions first-floor retail space, a two-story restaurant and loft units on the second floor but Terry Ickowicz, who is with a real estate partnership that's considering redevelopment, said no plans have been developed yet.

I really hope that that portion of East can avoid getting completely institutionalized.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

speaking of tearing down old buildings (although I suspect we will miss this one less): CBJ reports on a pre-submittal for a demolition permit being filed for the Alpine Ski Center building.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/09/15/alpine-ski-center-site-dilworth-redevelopment.html

I really hope that that portion of East can avoid getting completely institutionalized.

It’s to note that this is SUPPPPEERRR early and if it goes forward construction won’t start until 2022

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Today's CBJ - "Renderings:  First Look at long-awaited mixed-use redevelopment of Strawn Cottages site in Dilworth" by Ashley Fahey

Excerpt:  "Long known as the Strawn Cottages site, the housing authority — now called Inlivian — selected The Fallon Co. out of Boston four years ago to serve as master developer of a new mixed-use, mixed-income project.  The 16.2-acre site is between South Boulevard and Euclid Avenue, at the front door of uptown and South End.   After years of planning, designing and conceptualizing, Fallon and Inlivian will next year break ground on the first phase of what will be a $400 million-plus redevelopment.   The project, now called Centre South, will include up to 1.4 million square feet of development across multiple phases, including 330,000 square feet of office, 60,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, 745 residential units, potentially a 180-room hotel and open space.  The first phase will include an office tower on South Boulevard and housing.   Centre South will include 145 residential units affordable for households earning 60% and 80% of the area median income. Those units will be mixed in with market-rate development.   The land was once home to 124 cottage-style affordable units that have since been demolished. Strawn Tower, a 12-story building on part of the site, is an affordable senior-housing complex owned by Inlivian that will remain with the redevelopment. That building underwent $15 million-plus in renovations several years ago."

falloncharlottev02streeta09.jpg
A 310,000-square-foot office building will break ground in 2021 as part of the first phase of the Centre South development.  SHIMAHARA VISUAL

falloncharlottev03aeriala09.jpg

Fallon and Inlivian will next year break ground on the first phase of what will be a $400 million-plus redevelopment.   SHIMAHARA VISUAL

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/09/30/strawn-cottages-redevelopment-dilworth.html?

The apartments are okay, but I love the tower on South. It is a perfect addition and is going to make development on that side of south really kick off. The tower looks to be 12 stories. 

Edit: The density those apartments will bring is a real plus though. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 4

Fallon said commercial real estate activity will eventually return but the time is right to begin work on the development.

"This site represents such a critical juncture in between uptown and South End," he continued. "This site delivering along with the pedestrian bridge creates a connection and knits together two different urban fabrics."

• Like 3

60,000 sq ft for retail wonder if any is for a grocery store.  Harris Teeter was looking for a full size store at one point in Second Ward but they never got off the ground or still hasn't.  I do wonder if that is a urban grocery store as 60K of retail is a lot.    Harris Teeter or some other grocery could do good there and tap into the uptown and burgeoning southend market and the Morehead street corridor which has many apartments now (all this without doing much damage in sales to their East Blvd store) 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

60,000 sq ft for retail wonder if any is for a grocery store.  Harris Teeter was looking for a full size store at one point in Second Ward but they never got off the ground or still hasn't.  I do wonder if that is a urban grocery store as 60K of retail is a lot.    Harris Teeter or some other grocery could do good there and tap into the uptown and burgeoning southend market and the Morehead street corridor which has many apartments now (all this without doing much damage in sales to their East Blvd store) 

Garris Teeter has a grocery store in Dilworth on East Blvd and on South Blvd in Sedgefield/South End. I wouldn't think they would add a 3rd location so close.

15 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Garris Teeter has a grocery store in Dilworth on East Blvd and on South Blvd in Sedgefield/South End. I wouldn't think they would add a 3rd location so close.

dont be too sure they like to dominate go to south Charlotte and see how close their stores are to each other. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

dont be too sure they like to dominate go to south Charlotte and see how close their stores are to each other. 

On Providence Rd alone, there are four Harris Teeters in the 6 mile stretch between Pineville-Matthews Rd and Weddington Rd.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the new Medical office buildings along Kenilworth and I must say minus the huge garage these are some fine looking MOBs.   Plus the Realtors association building and the new bike lanes along Pearl Way (not quite open yet to McDowell) Today.  Drive bys and one or two walk bys. 

at first I thought why are those cars parked in the street but there is a bike lane on the other side of the parallel parking there. 

Plus a few of the apartment complexes along Morehead. 

IMG_4718.JPG

For all the positives of this elevation, the mullions just don't look good. The placement is very haphazard on both the curtainwall and in the punch windows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Rendering of the office building planned for the site of Starbucks at East/ Kenilworth.

The retail cottage next door on East is for lease, but landlord can terminate that lease after 12 months with 30 days notice.

1401 East.png

Shouldn't there be a hill on that road on the left? Kenilworth is big hill!

How many buildings does this go down East?