Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

On 3/24/2021 at 11:38 AM, Blue_Devil said:

277 or not, it is going to kick start a lot of development right there, and fast. Apartments, lab space, research medical contactors/device companies/ etc, food, separate office space, probably a nursing school, pt/ot school, PA school, etc as it further grows, back office space, possibly other wake forest graduate programs.... This is a giant giant catalyst for second ward, Dilworth, and midtown.  

It may impact the design of what is supposed to be in Second Ward too with all of that revitalization.

19 hours ago, DMann said:

Isn’t the Wray Ward sitefor sale.

It very well may be.  I believe they moved west in FreeMore to a refurbished building not too long ago.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 11:02 AM, kermit said:

Gezzz, think about what kind of lab/office/edu development opportunities there would be adjacent to the school if 277 got removed there. Also how that would kickstart 2nd Ward redevelopment. (And how the med school could have had its own transit stop if the Silver line was routed appropriately)

1.  This!!!  Its a shame to see the silver line used to sprawl the city North instead of providing access to Charlotte's largest single employer, prestigious medical school, South End, and the city's new center (Stonewall and Tryon).  I hope everyone enjoys the convenient access to this forum's favorite non-level parking deck that the current routing provides while missing the aforementioned opportunities.  (Note:  I think it would take something like rerouting the silver line to make removing 277 appropriate.  It provides great access to this part of the city.) 

2.  As a nearby resident I'm disappointed to see this did not end up on Fountain View and Garden Terrace.  Any ideas on what will be in store for those streets?  The only thing consoling my broken heart is the quality of this project.  It will create a wonderful connection between uptown and midtown.  It will make Midtown a real place as opposed to just the location of Trader Joe's.  The connection between the Cross Charlotte Trail and this project through Pearl St Park will be fantastic.  Great way to help second ward grow and maybe create momentum for Brooklyn Village.  I was just hoping this would be the project to transform East Blvd into part of the city.  

Edited by ricky_bobby_fan_26
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Sold or emphyteutic lease, as was reported n the past?

From the Ledger:

• Epicurean lot sells: The vacant lot on East Boulevard in Dilworth, home to Christmas tree lots and the old Epicurean restaurant, has been sold. Property records show Selwyn Property Group closed on the purchase of the 1-acre site at East Boulevard and Scott Avenue on Tuesday for about $5.1M. Selwyn Property Group had the land rezoned last year to allow for a building as high as 85 feet that could accommodate 170 residential units or 80,000 s.f. of office space, plus a parking garage. The Ledger was the first media organization to report the land was under contract, in February 2020.

In this video they talk about the new medical school being "within a 10 minute walk" of the CMC main campus.  The fountain view / garden terrace site would have provided adjacency for students and mentoring staff, potentially with a covered walkway for inclement weather etc.  If you are going to build a school to create collaboration, then you should go after that goal.  After thinking things over for a couple days, I really see this as a huge missed opportunity.  The medical school should be part of the CMC campus, not a separate campus.

I love the accessibility and how the school will tie uptown and Midtown / Dilworth together.  However, that isn't the point of a medical school.  The point of a medical school is to educate students and create a culture of ongoing education within CMC main.  It is a shame this project was hijacked and moved to fulfill development goals, not those of improving education and medical care.

Any ideas on the future of Fountain View and Garden Terrace?

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.36.19 PM.png

Edited by ricky_bobby_fan_26
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, js4life said:

The med school campus is about a whole lot more than the actual school. Keep in mind that Wake's School of Professional Studies which will be a standalone academic division of the university & be home to the MBA program along with other programs yet to be announced. I also think Atrium/Wake are thinking of all the spinoff activity that the Morehead site could produce along with the visibility from 277

Exactly, the Morehead location allows for more development around the school in the form of Lab-space and Apartments. The fountain view location just does not have the development capacity that being between Uptown and Midtown has with Morehead right there. 

With the new bedtower and rehab hospital, that land will have plenty of other uses I am sure. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Heard from an owner of a unit at Dilworth Edge condos which is at the intersection of Kenilworth/Scott and Park road. These 1960's, née Versailles*, were apartments turned condos and some are again rented. The condo association received an offer of 32 million$ for the property entire. According to my source the condo bylaws require 100% approval for this type of transaction. The bylaws may be amended with 75% approval. Source believes 75% is possible and would approve of transaction. Identity of bidder is unknown and purpose of purchase unknown. Apparently there are opportunities to purchase a unit that is in need of renovation at a price that would be attractive for this overall sale. Arbitrage, in other words.

*any place named with such grand origin as Versailles can be certain that it is far from that. Cf Tiffany

Morehead will look completely different in 5 years. Its going to be all 12 - 20 story buildings with ground floor retail. 

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Heard from an owner of a unit at Dilworth Edge condos which is at the intersection of Kenilworth/Scott and Park road. These 1960's, née Versailles*, were apartments turned condos and some are again rented. The condo association received an offer of 32 million$ for the property entire. According to my source the condo bylaws require 100% approval for this type of transaction. The bylaws may be amended with 75% approval. Source believes 75% is possible and would approve of transaction. Identity of bidder is unknown and purpose of purchase unknown. Apparently there are opportunities to purchase a unit that is in need of renovation at a price that would be attractive for this overall sale. Arbitrage, in other words.

*any place named with such grand origin as Versailles can be certain that it is far from that. Cf Tiffany

I know someone who lives there and it was an apartment developer.   This deal coming together at even a 75% approval of that many owners will take years to pull off.  One deal like this in Raleigh took 4 years and was only 45 units or so.  This is much bigger. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

It's a prime for redevelopment.   Sedgefield middle school with a park next door, great views of uptown and a stone's throw to dining, retail.    Good for the owners but it's these of deals that make housing harder and harder for regular folk.  

• 2 weeks later...

Easements mean less than I thought....

Ever since I arrived in Charlotte (and almost certainly long before) Winthrop Ave has had an easement to be extended from Magnolia to McDonald and Dilworth Mews ct, something that would nicely flesh out the grid in newer Dilworth. This easement is sorta visible in the screenshot below. 

Unfortunately teardowns and rebuilds have now made that street extension impossible -- the house on McDonald to the east of the easement is now being rebuilt with minimal setback from the lot line.

There were also deed restrictions all along McDonald (I suspect Magnolia as well) limiting houses to 1.5 stories. those got trashed / ignored when teardowns started around 2006.

image.png.2f61cd451723a7c013c7c392a8488f2f.png

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 2