Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I don't have any issues with The Tremont because its not displacing people. And I know this is not the gentrification thread :blush: And as I said before the projects in Dilworth all seem to be high quality. I just think its important to remember that some of these projects are kicking peope out of their homes ( like moi) and while we may rent them its still our home and being tossed out like garbage bites. Done. I swear. :thumbsup:

As for my comment on the Tremont houses, they are run down. When those are replaced, it will look nicer. What would be great is if those people decided to sell those run down, (but not that old) houses for an amazing profit, and then move next door to a fancy condo with just as much space. Becoming middle class by owning property in a neighborhood that becomes more valuable is the american way of life.

I'm for the gentrification of people, and aesthetification (coined) of neighborhoods.

As for the rest, we've had that debate before, so I won't say anything. I'll just say there are ways to not be kicked out your home ;).

They may be run down but hardworking tax paying people do live in them. And they are going to be displaced to make more room for the wealthy and to heck with everyone else. Its the American way right :sick: Not everyone is rich enough to buy a trendy condo :angry:

Nothing that is being taken down is residential that I can see. A clock shop, a vacant duplex that was business, an appraisal office in an old house...

• 2 weeks later...

I walked to Moe's tonight and noticed that Patou has commandeered the already narrow stretch of Scott in front of their entrance for an ersatz "valet lane". Its actually parking spaces along there. They seem to have decided to take the spaces for their customer's mammoth SUVS etc which poke out into an already congested road and make a bad situation worse . They just started the service and its already causing backups and confusion:angry: Do restaurants have to get permission to do this? I can't see how they would be allowed to use public parking spaces. I going to dig around and file a complaint if they skirted ordinances.

I walked to Moe's tonight and noticed that Patou has commandeered the already narrow stretch of Scott in front of their entrance for an ersatz "valet lane". Its actually parking spaces along there. They seem to have decided to take the spaces for their customer's mammoth SUVS etc which poke out into an already congested road and make a bad situation worse . They just started the service and its already causing backups and confusion:angry: Do restaurants have to get permission to do this? I can't see how they would be allowed to use public parking spaces. I going to dig around and file a complaint if they skirted ordinances.

Parking is a big issue in the area. I saw the SUV's you are referring to, one protruding into East blvd. I have no problems with them using the public spaces, but they had those filled and then parked cars all over the street where there are not marked spots.

That being said, though, I hope all the restaurants in the area succeed, especially Patou, so I hope there is a compromise that appeases residents and patrons - parking is always a hot topic and a dire need in Urban environments.

They're public parking spaces, so why would there be a prohibition against some people parking there simply because they had someone park their car for them? Also, a secondary purpose for street parking is traffic calming, that is having people slow down. So while I'm not a big fan of SUVs, I think it actually is a good thing that they make it a tighter squeeze through there. People fly through that section of Scott and it really jeopardizes the pedestrians.

I think what V12 is saying is that if they're public spaces, can they then 'block' those for use only by their valet staff. Like if I wanted to park there, is one of their valets going to tell me I can't? If they're public, I don't see how they can.

There are 6 or 7 on street spaces on Scott, they had them all plus had parked cars in areas not painted for parking, the cars blocked views along East, out of Latta, and down the road. Again, I personally am not really against it because I desperately want all these restaurants to work, but I did see the spillover and am not surprised that people were a bit upset.

I want to see the businesses there prosper too, but it's gonna take just one person pulling out in front of someone because they can't see and causing a collision to put an end to this. In our litigous society, it wouldn't surprise me to see the restaurant (or whomever maintains the valet service) sued if anything happened, God forbid.

Turbocraig made the exact point I was trying express. Valet parking can be a great service. Restaurants usually have a dedicated area for this. Clearly, Patou has no extra space. The Latta garage has limited parking for retail and the rest is gated for the condo residents. Starbucks has a finite amount of spaces behind them. Everyone in Dilworth knows from personal or friend experiences that leaving your car in a non-Starbuck space is kissing your vehicle goodbye in a nanosecond :shok: That leaves the limited PUBLIC spaces on Scott. I thought they were supposed to be for everyone not just Patou patrons. Maybe they made an agreement with the city but that would be surprising or just went ahead and took over the spots. I want Patou to thrive as well. The corner really became a dead spot when Red Star went under and with Maggie Moos gone and Palazzo vacant we don't need anymore dead space. Maybe Patou could arrange for parking in the Epicurean sacred cow lot. It was used during Cinco de Mayo. What they are doing now just does not make much sense to me.

To me, valet helps to create street vibrancy. It helps people think about getting out of their car and onto the street or into the restaurant. I think psychologically, most people are invited by the suburban parking seas in front of their buildings. It says to them, it is easy to park there so I can go there. In urban environments, it takes a little more coaxing to get people to figure out how to park and get to their destination. People don't realize how deep that underground parking deck goes, so they don't think there is an easy way to park. Valet gives people that psychological trigger that says I can go there, without worrying about how to park.

I'm glad the valet stand is there. That is an urban destination, and not a high speed pass through.

You guys do have some good points, but I think I don't agree with you on this one.

The valet stand could just as easily go inside the street level slice of the parking deck and cause less traffic disruption. I expect the monopolization of parking spaces would stay the same. Use of the blank lot of the epicurean would easily absorb overflow. Signage directing patrons to the valet would easily be spotted on all 3 of the main access roads.

Get creative.

As an interesting aside to this debate...I have a friend who works in Latta Pavillion. Patou apparently is always complaining that customers heading to the sportsbar on the corner of Kenilworth and East use garage space when the bar is technically not attached to the Latta complex, and they are taking away spaces for potential Patou patrons. Hence the "no bar" parking sign at the garage entrance. The area is also periodically monitored by a guard in a golf cart who tries, mostly unsuccessfully to stop people from parking and walking to the bar. Maybe the valet idea is a response to this problem, it still needs to be managed better though.

• 3 weeks later...

I know where you are talking about. It is cheap to throw up a sign to guage interest in a piece of property. I don't remember exactly what the rendering depicts, but the property is big enough for a quadraplex of something slightly larger. Parking will be the biggest issue there.