Jump to content

Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)


Southend

Recommended Posts


7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Developments like this amazing project is why Charlotte is the best city in the South (after Charleston and Savannah).  I regard those two as among the best in all of the U.S.

I mean if we're judging on the quantity and quality of high-rise residential projects, why wouldn't Atlanta best Charlotte?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I mean if we're judging on the quantity and quality of high-rise residential projects, why wouldn't Atlanta best Charlotte?

I really like Atlanta, but it's QoL is inferior to Charlotte's.  Traffic and crime there are out of control.  If I were very rich and didn't have to work and commute, I'd be elated to live in Buckhead, but for most normal people, life there is not good (unless you work from home).

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I really like Atlanta, but it's QoL is inferior to Charlotte's.  Traffic and crime there are out of control.  If I were very rich and didn't have to work and commute, I'd be elated to live in Buckhead, but for most normal people, life there is not good (unless you work from home).

Yeah but even for those who work from home, at some point you want to take a stroll and enjoy the shops and restaurants Buckhead has to offer; however I feel like sometimes you can’t even do that without feeling unsafe.  Lenox Square has a metal detector at the front entrance and now just recently they started a rule for teenagers to be accommodated by a parent.  Sorry a bit off topic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Developments like this amazing project is why Charlotte is the best city in the South (after Charleston and Savannah).  I regard those two as among the best in all of the U.S.

Developments in cities like Charlotte are growing the city and somewhat making it better. Can’t say that for Charleston or Savannah. Those two cities are being overcrowded and gentrified making them not as good as they used to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, j-man said:

Developments in cities like Charlotte are growing the city and somewhat making it better. Can’t say that for Charleston or Savannah. Those two cities are being overcrowded and gentrified making them not as good as they used to be. 

Everyone has different opinions.  I love the old buildings and history in those cities, but I understand your perspective too.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, j-man said:

Developments in cities like Charlotte are growing the city and somewhat making it better. Can’t say that for Charleston or Savannah. Those two cities are being overcrowded and gentrified making them not as good as they used to be. 

And Charlotte isn’t overcrowded and gentrified? Lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, Temeteron said:

And Charlotte isn’t overcrowded and gentrified? Lol 

I mean to a certain extent yes but I wouldn’t say overcrowded.  Charlotte still  feels very empty half the time unless you’re center city or SouthPark. And Charlotte doesn’t have the unique character that needs to be preserved like Charleston or Savannah from all the modernization. Like it fits in Charlotte, not the other two. And Charlotte is inland so it has lots of room for growth on all sides.

Edited by j-man
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 10:12 PM, RANYC said:

Ah, got it.  Well, Charlotte must remain very vigilant.  The city of Atlanta is the heartbeat of a metro area that has 6 million inhabitants, and that heartbeat saw 157 homicides in 2020.  Charlotte is the heartbeat of a metro area with 2.7 million inhabitants, and that heartbeat saw 121 homicides in 2020.  Vigilance because there's nothing that I'm seeing that assures me that Charlotte won't grow into the same nasty issues plaguing so many other large sunbelt cities.  Hard to see what we're doing all that differently that gives us any sort of secret sauce.

There were only 157 in all of metro Atlanta, GA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, TheRealClayton said:

This is very incorrect. Atlanta City Proper, a city almost half Charlotte's size had 157 murders.

https://homicides.ajc.com/2020/?_gl=1*18uyz8o*_ga*MTAzNzYyNDczNS4xNjMxNDk4ODY1*_ga_6VR7Y4BTY5*MTYzMTcxODQ5Mi40LjAuMTYzMTcxODQ5Mi4w

Atlanta Journal Constitution Article.

Number of homicide investigations opened by the Atlanta Police Department in 2020.  Not sure whether this is city proper or if "Atlanta Police Department" has jurisdiction outside of city limits proper, but I've included a link to the source.  2020 is described as a record deadly year in Atlanta, and the count was up from 99 in 2019.

Edited by RANYC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

https://homicides.ajc.com/2020/?_gl=1*18uyz8o*_ga*MTAzNzYyNDczNS4xNjMxNDk4ODY1*_ga_6VR7Y4BTY5*MTYzMTcxODQ5Mi40LjAuMTYzMTcxODQ5Mi4w

Atlanta Journal Constitution Article.

Number of homicide investigations opened by the Atlanta Police Department in 2020.  Not sure whether this is city proper or if "Atlanta Police Department" has jurisdiction outside of city limits proper, but I've included a link to the source.  2020 is described as a record deadly year in Atlanta, and the count was up from 99 in 2019.

 
Have also included the weekly crime report from the APD, run as of December 26, 2020, indicating 154 murders as of the date of that report.  I'd imagine the additional 3 reported by the Journal-Constitution happened in the time between date of the report and final year-end.  

CS-2020-52 copy.jpg

Edited by RANYC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

https://homicides.ajc.com/2020/?_gl=1*18uyz8o*_ga*MTAzNzYyNDczNS4xNjMxNDk4ODY1*_ga_6VR7Y4BTY5*MTYzMTcxODQ5Mi40LjAuMTYzMTcxODQ5Mi4w

Atlanta Journal Constitution Article.

Number of homicide investigations opened by the Atlanta Police Department in 2020.  Not sure whether this is city proper or if "Atlanta Police Department" has jurisdiction outside of city limits proper, but I've included a link to the source.  2020 is described as a record deadly year in Atlanta, and the count was up from 99 in 2019.

Atlanta Police Department only has jurisdiction in the city limits of Atlanta, which has a population of only 488,800 (only about ~54% the population size of CMPD patrol territory in Charlotte). The other poster was saying 157 is very incorrect to apply to the metro area. There are way more than 157 murders in the Atlanta metro area when you include all the suburban cities that surround it. 

CMPD is a county police by statute, so does have jurisdiction in Pineville, Huntersville, Mint Hill, Matthews, et... despite those cities having their own city-level police force. CMPD does not patrol though or maintain crime stats for areas outside of their regular patrol areas of Charlotte city limits and unincorporated areas near there. 

Edited by CLT2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^APD is not a consolidated police department, they only serve the city of Atlanta which has a population of less than 500,000. Each surrounding community in the metro (Marietta, Lawrenceville, etc) has they own police force and reporting status.

Edited by kermit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Atlanta Police Department only has jurisdiction in the city limits of Atlanta, which has a population of only 488,800 (only about ~54% the population size of CMPD patrol territory in Charlotte). The other poster was saying 157 is very incorrect to apply to the metro area. There are way more than 157 murders in the Atlanta metro area when you include all the suburban cities that surround it. 

CMPD is a county police by statute, so does have jurisdiction in Pineville, Huntersville, Mint Hill, Matthews, et... despite those cities having their own city-level police force. CMPD does not patrol though or maintain crime stats for areas outside of their regular patrol areas of Charlotte city limits and unincorporated areas near there. 

Got it.  Yes, I'm aware.  My initial post said that Atlanta as the heartbeat of its metro had 157 murders.  Not sure what the entire metro count is.  I do believe in most metros in America, the murders are pretty geographically concentrated.  Example - I recall reading an analysis done on Jacksonville, FL murders.  Jacksonville is the largest city in America, land-wise after annexations and city-county consolidation, but the lion's share of the murders tend to happen in the relatively small "Old Town" Jacksonville.  If there hadn't been consolidation or annexations, "Old Town" Jacksonville might have one of the worst murder rates in the country.

Sometimes annexations and consolidations dilute the severity and urgency of the crime issue.  Maybe a fun fact for some, but in 1960, Charlotte's land area was 64.8 square miles, with a population density per square mile of 3111 (CLT land area now 298 sqm).  Atlanta's 1960 land area was 128.2 square miles (now 136 sqm), so Atlanta clearly hasn't gone through any sort of major annexation binge.  Might be an interesting analysis to adjust murder rates based on old, pre-annexation urban centers.  With such an analysis, would CLT be all that much better off, rate-wise?  Not sure.

12 hours ago, Phillydog said:

There were only 157 in all of metro Atlanta, GA?

There were 157 murders just in the heartbeat of the Atlanta metro, which is the city of Atlanta.

These murder counts tend to be geographically concentrated in the urban centers of most American metros.  Once you leave the urban center, the count tends to drop off considerably with few to no murders in far-flung suburbia.

Edited by RANYC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If one wonders about how reporting of crime is malleable this may have an effect: 17,895 police agencies in the U. S.  England has 43.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_the_United_States#:~:text=Law enforcement operates primarily through,and federal law enforcement agencies.

https://fullfact.org/finder/crime_law/police/

I believe this goes a long way to explaining how multiple dramatic police failures can be on video and widely seen and discussed and then it happens again and again as if the forces are unaware.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

These murder counts tend to be geographically concentrated in the urban centers of most American metros.  Once you leave the urban center, the count tends to drop off considerably with few to no murders in far-flung suburbia.

I know what you mean here, and there certainly is a difference in crime rates between suburb and city. But our fuzzy notion of suburb made your statement above more of a generalization than I am comfortable with, but I acknowledge some of this is just semantics.

Relatively few homicides happen in Uptown or Southend, but we see many more in neighborhoods that may not be close to the center city (e.g. Hidden Valley). Similar trends in lots of other cities (in Chicago the Loop and both side are pretty safe, Southside / Englewood not so much. Elsewhere you have places like East Saint Louis, Camden, etc.).

In addition, crime rates (including homicides) are rapidly increasing in suburban areas and not growing much in the ‘urban’ centers, particularly the rapidly gentrifying ones.  For many years University City had one of Charlotte’s highest homicide rates.

 

Edited by kermit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.