Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

3 hours ago, turbocraig said:

A little more info today in the Biz Journal about Atrium/W-F campus.  It’s a free read, which is odd for them.  Looks like there are a few new renderings maybe.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/09/21/innovation-district-atrium-health-research-midtown.html

So the Med School breaks ground in Spring 2022, and the first Innovation District Building breaks ground late 2022, and there are multiple fortune 500 companies looking at this project. 

63,000 additional jobs expected to be created from this by 2050

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

So the Med School breaks ground in Spring 2022, and the first Innovation District Building breaks ground late 2022, and there are multiple fortune 500 companies looking at this project. 

63,000 additional jobs expected to be created from this by 2050

Looks great.

Can someone tell me if this is all that novel or original a concept or idea?  Are there non-NC examples to look to for this?

Are hospital/healthcare systems around the country partnering with research universities to drive medical care innovation?  

Is this district another symptom of skyrocketing healthcare costs?

Edited by RANYC

My doctor described one factor in this complex calculation. Hospitals such as Atrium, community focussed and responsible for care of all patients, receive a discount on drugs but can bill those drugs to insurers at a sizeable markup. Oncology drugs are a major profit center for such hospitals. There will be new rules that will limit or eliminate the markup, UNLESS the treatment is through a medical center/school arrangement. The  result is to tie to a qualifying institution. The program is called 340B and is deeply confusing to the uninitiated such as I. The issue is real. This is but one issue in the connection, but an important one, according to my preceptor doctor.

Research 340B and fall down the rabbit hole with no tea party, no Queen of Hearts.

• Like 2

https://homicides.ajc.com/2020/?_gl=1*18uyz8o*_ga*MTAzNzYyNDczNS4xNjMxNDk4ODY1*_ga_6VR7Y4BTY5*MTYzMTcxODQ5Mi40LjAuMTYzMTcxODQ5Mi4w
Atlanta Journal Constitution Article.
Number of homicide investigations opened by the Atlanta Police Department in 2020.  Not sure whether this is city proper or if "Atlanta Police Department" has jurisdiction outside of city limits proper, but I've included a link to the source.  2020 is described as a record deadly year in Atlanta, and the count was up from 99 in 2019.

Judging from the map and assuming that all those dots are the 157 Homicides, then yes that is only the city proper of Atlanta with a population of ~500k. The rate of Homicide in Atlanta is obviously going to be much higher than Charlotte’s 123 Homicides with a population of ~910k.

Also if you look at the homicides in Charlotte, you find that most of them occur in the poorer “curve” area that surrounds the “wedge” of Charlotte… outside Charlotte’s CBD, Southend, Midtown.

Demolition permits were filed today for Art's BBQ and the old H&R Block there at Morehead/Oriole/Dilworth Rd.  Those are the same owner.  No demo permit, and different owner on Long's Dry Cleaning.

Have not heard of any concrete plans on what would go there.....and maybe nothing is planned (clearing the lot to help market it for sale perhaps???)  I believe the actual owner is Duke Endowment, which is on the block immediately west.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Demolition permits were filed today for Art's BBQ and the old H&R Block there at Morehead/Oriole/Dilworth Rd.  Those are the same owner.  No demo permit, and different owner on Long's Dry Cleaning.

Have not heard of any concrete plans on what would go there.....and maybe nothing is planned (clearing the lot to help market it for sale perhaps???)  I believe the actual owner is Duke Endowment, which is on the block immediately west.

the bigger parcel is indeed owned by a LLC which has offices at the Duke Endowment.  Unsure of the other parcels. (916 E Morehead) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hinsp0 said:

Morehead is going to look like it’s own city from approximately 277 at the stadium all the way to Atrium’s main campus.  The street will have a nice skyline of its own.

So this does not include any potential Pipe Foundry land redevelopment? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'd like to see the gas station at the corner of South and East Blvds come down, along with the small white building behind it.  The same with the Fuel Pizza on the opposite corner.  They are underused parcels in a very significant and valuable location.

I highly doubt the gas station is going anywhere. It’s a gold mine