Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

2 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I highly doubt the gas station is going anywhere. It’s a gold mine 

You're probably right, but it seems out of place.  When my son started Charlotte Montessori 13 years ago, this area was not very nice, and the gas station fit in.  Now that this area has become very nice, I don't think that the Shell station fits in.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I cannot imagine living in a building above 50,000 gallons of fuel. 

Oh I wouldn't want to live there . . . but an office high-rise . . . why not?

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that looks horrendous.  I’d just like to see nice buildings on those two corners.

There are better designs.

1 hour ago, TheRealClayton said:

by small white building you mean the 119 year old very very cool looking home, or the 90 year old pedestrian scale building that is really the last surviving piece of what used to be a vibrant Main Street along South Blvd? Which is out of place? Whoever proposes removing either, I'd imagine a Dilworth resident puts a horse head in their bed, Godfather style.

I find this little mini-mart building in the gas station lot to be truly ugly.  Is this what you’re referring to?

D16437A9-0349-4139-A3B8-AE9F5F3510AF.jpeg

Johnson Wax Company, Racine Wisconsin. Frank L. Wright.

In my youth this building was very well known and used as the image for the company itself on all products. Advertising in the '60's by the company featured the building. It deserves its fame. (the roof leaks, a Wright feature, not a bug)

download.jpg.7736f18fa0f124cc467065114978c300.jpg

• Like 2

Addendum to photo above: In the preparation for this building the many novel architecture techniques taxed the building inspectors of the time. One question they had was what architect licensure Wright had in Wisconsin, his birth state. "I have no Wisconsin architecture license." In what state do you have a license, as we reciprocate with some other states? " I have no current license" he said. How recent has your licensure been? "I have never had a state license in any state." said the man who had been practicing since the 1890's. This conversation was in the mid 1930's according to a biography I read of the man.*

* His vision and drawings were translated into working plans by licensed associates who were responsible for turning his imagination into reality with minimum compromise. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

In my youth this building was very well known and used as the image for the company itself on all products. Advertising in the '60's by the company featured the building. It deserves its fame. (the roof leaks, a Wright feature, not a bug)

Johnson Wax was the longtime sponsor of the beloved Fibber McGee and Molly radio show...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Wow... had to look that one up. check this link

https://www.atlasofplaces.com/architecture/johnson-wax-headquarters/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...