Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

21 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

Glossed over in the press release, and I'm assuming the articles, I haven't read them yet, there is a development pad fronting Carson. Heres what I'd expect:

• There's a wholesale reimagining of the existing building with retail fronting the private street facing Riverside and Morehead.

• While that happens they'll demolish the parking deck, and build it larger one  to support at least part of a building

• They'll put a large building fronting Carson, 20-30 floor, Not sure if office or residential. The residential market is flush with cash so I'd expect that.

• In 5-10 years I'd imagine the original building will be torn down for another tower. 

I was wondering why they would pay 65 million for this building/lot and only announce a renovation and refresh of the existing building. It would make sense though if the long term plan is to tear it down.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:48 PM, QCxpat said:

Today 11:30 a.m. - 1701 East Boulevard, up to 19 townhomes along Lombardy Circle  & up to 332 apartments in 4 buildings along East Blvd., Jim Gross Dev. Co.

a4.jpg

a3.jpg

a1.jpg

a6.jpg

a2.jpg

Can you cite your source for this information or relay your confidence in it?  My primary residence is adjacent to this development, and I was unaware of a townhouse component.  I felt like fitting the four apartment buildings and underground parking in itself would be difficult for the amount of land involved.  There was an article I read that spoke about the 80 million dollar construction loan but did not mention a townhouse component.

My hope for this project is actually as much height and density for both Lombardy Cir and East Blvd that the market can support.  In my opinion its all part of the East Blvd Pedestrian District with adjacency to transit (The Cross Charlotte Trail with the new entrance on Lombardyand multiple bus stops).  I’d be disappointed NOT to see the precedent for taller buildings on this side of Lombardy Cir created by this project.

I see the future of this area becoming part of Midtown as it’s already outgrown the mold of what people think Dilworth should be.  I hope this project acts as a catalyst for that.  I’m sure the townhomes will be wonderful if built, it’s just not what I pictured.

Edited by ricky_bobby_fan_26

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like marketing has started for the new "Starbucks corner" building on East Blvd.

1401 East Blvd | Foundry Commercial

Ok is it just me or is that some clunky-sounding content?  And is the north side of East now Midtown?  Like the Midtown Harris Teeter right there on East?  And was Midtown always the home of the original suburb of Charlotte?   The brainchild of Eddie “Midtown & Down” Dilworth Latta?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

North of East Blvd and East of Scott/Kenilworth is now part of “Midtown”.   The Harris Teeter can still be part of Dilworth.  Dilworth is a residential neighborhood with many protected historic homes.  The aforementioned area will be transformed into a collection of mid-rise buildings within five years and have more in common with what is currently thought of as “Midtown” than Dilworth.  Several years ago Dilworth annexed the northern section of Sedgefield, and it’s Southern border is now Ideal Way / Dairy Branch Creek.  What makes up a neighborhood shifts and changes with time.  

The adjacency to the Cross Charlotte Trail and it’s new entrance along with the existing bus stops give this area adjacency to mass transit.  Under the old zoning TOD would have been appropriate.  Looking forward to seeing what the new zoning will be and what ultimately happens to Fountain View / Garden Terrace.

Edited by ricky_bobby_fan_26
  • Like 3

Thanks to both of you for that.  I’ve never thought of any part of East Blvd to be anything other than Dilworth in the 28 years I’ve lived here.  When I’m on East Blvd, Midtown feels decidedly “over there” to me.   I’m sure that will change as that area redevelops, but it still feels weird saying I’m in Midtown when I’m in that Starbucks. 

Probably wont feel to weird say 5-10 years from now…

4 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I’m a little confused by the Morehead Projects. The current cranes are not for the 20(+) story apartment tower are they? Do we have renderings for the project currently under construction? 

Hanover doesn't release renderings until they start marketing units, so you are looking at probably 15M before you see one, and the other project is senior living, which also follows the same model. No reason to market to old people two years before you open.

Edited by The Real Clayton

5 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I’m a little confused by the Morehead Projects. The current cranes are not for the 20(+) story apartment tower are they? Do we have renderings for the project currently under construction? 

And no, the cranes you currently see are for buildings that I believe range from 12-14 stories.  The 26-story project will be by NY-based Spandrel on a lot across Euclid from the current cranes, but that hasn't broken ground yet.

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

And no, the cranes you currently see are for buildings that I believe range from 12-14 stories.  The 26-story project will be by NY-based Spandrel on a lot across Euclid from the current cranes, but that hasn't broken ground yet.

Fencing went up for the Spandrel project this weekend though.

• Like 4