Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Curious if the tree trunk at Dilworth Road W and Ideal Way is there as a monument to the tree that fell down.... it has been there for a few years now hanging out in the grass between the street and sidewalk. Anybody know the story of it? They planted two new trees to replace the one that fell into the road in a storm.

image.png.87939b03a2fdd544312e6f344d758aad.png

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Seems like only yesterday that the construction of Royal Court Condos was the big news on UP

I was passing by The Edison over in PM the other day and had a similar thought.  Something like that would barely get a mention today.  It's quite amazing how much things have exploded in the last decade or so. 

Edited by go_vertical

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Seems like only yesterday that the construction of Royal Court Condos was the big news on UP

I'm not the biggest fan of this building It. seems so oddly placed. It looks like it belongs in Myrtle Beach. 

Edited by j-man

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte's Park Ave aka Morehead St corridor.  2 cranes up more to follow.   Love the Addison bldg old apartment building turned boutique office building at McDowell and Morehead.  

No work yet on the tallest of the apartment towers to be built on Morehead.  3rd photo.  

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

Does anyone know if the current street trees along Morehead Street will remain during all this building?

When I spoke to Urban Forestry about the street trees along South Blvd and along East Blvd which have been recently cut down for 110 E and the Greystar Bldg, I was told that the CDOT actually wanted them down to "urbanize" the sidewalk as part of the adjacent construction.  That means removing grass around the tree and I believe placing the tree in its own well in the ground.  Developer is paying into a tree mitigation fund.  How much?   Not sure.  Personally, I didn't like "sidewalk urbanizing" as a reason for cutting down trees that tall and wide near Camden and East, but I know plenty may disagree.  Are the street trees along Morehead that give Morehead its "Park Avenue" feel, in danger?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

… Are the street trees along Morehead that give Morehead its "Park Avenue" feel, in danger?

I don”t know the specifics of the rules regarding these trees but the sad fact is that all of the big oaks in Dilworth are in danger. As I understand it this species of oak has a lifespan of roughly 100 years, the neighborhood was built (and trees planted) around 1900-1920 so….

The tornado / microburst around Morehead and Euclid a couple of years ago took out 10 (or so) of the oaks, they are pretty fragile. The city is fairly responsive about replanting, everything should look great again in 40 years.

• Like 2