Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

I don”t know the specifics of the rules regarding these trees but the sad fact is that all of the big oaks in Dilworth are in danger. As I understand it this species of oak has a lifespan of roughly 100 years, the neighborhood was built (and trees planted) around 1900-1920 so….

The tornado / microburst around Morehead and Euclid a couple of years ago took out 10 (or so) of the oaks, they are pretty fragile. The city is fairly responsive about replanting, everything should look great again in 40 years.

Thanks, I was going to say... They need to be removed and replaced at this juncture anyways.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I don”t know the specifics of the rules regarding these trees but the sad fact is that all of the big oaks in Dilworth are in danger. As I understand it this species of oak has a lifespan of roughly 100 years, the neighborhood was built (and trees planted) around 1900-1920 so….

The tornado / microburst around Morehead and Euclid a couple of years ago took out 10 (or so) of the oaks, they are pretty fragile. The city is fairly responsive about replanting, everything should look great again in 40 years.

I don’t have that long 

• Sad 2

I was driving down Rea Road through Piper Glen between 485 and Hwy 51 and their line of willow oaks on both sides will be the Queens Rd canopy in a couple of years.  The trees are 30 to 40 years old now.  It is beautiful.  Charlotte has a strong tree ordinance the problem is the trees are the oldest in places like Myers Park and Dilworth and other intown neighborhoods now.  Myers Park was an open field like many of the new communities on the edge of Charlotte back in the early 1900s. 

https://www.simonini.com/luxury-home-blog/history-of-myers-park   and no I was not selling the lots there to people with the vision of grandeur. 

http://landmarkscommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Myers-Park.pdf

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The project planned on the Dilworth Starbucks site has changed so reports the Biz Journal.

SunCap Property Group wants to build a more than 300,000-square-foot mixed-used development in the heart of Dilworth.

""The local developer filed a petition with the city yesterday to rezone 1.6 acres at East Boulevard and Scott Avenue to mixed-use development district, from its current zoning designations for commercial, retail and office.  David Lee, senior vice president of SunCap, told CBJ the project is expected to include up to 300 multifamily units, ground-floor retail and office space. The bulk of the project — about 270,000 square feet — would be multifamily residential. Retail would account for about 15,000 square feet, with an additional 20,000 square feet of office space.  The project is expected to cost about $90 million, Lee said.  The rezoning includes the Starbucks building at 1401 East Blvd. Lee said SunCap is working with the coffee retailer to determine how to move forward. It also includes the Key Man building at 1409 East Blvd., which was purchased by Summit Healthcare Group in 2019. SunCap has an agreement in place to purchase the building from Summit, Lee said.""

this project was almost all office some retail before no residential but the changing winds of real estate have them changing plans.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/03/03/dilworth-mixed-use-development-plans.html

Demand for office is dropping?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I saw 2 backhoes parked this morning in the middle of the field where Radius/Overlook is planned.  Hopefully prepping for ground breaking.

If that’s the case - it’s gonna be a cluster-_*uck in that area for quite some time.  Development Folks like to gang-up I guess… lol

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Haha 1

https://www.carolinahome.com/home/3839772

Fine home in Dilworth for sale. Is this a Dilworth project in the UP sense of the words? Owned by Debby Reynolds (not that one) and her husband. The Reynolds moved to this house from Lexington several decades ago and adopted this house and all of its requirements. Congratulations to them for the dedication. The for sale listing has photos and as befits a mansion from the Victorian age the expression of luxury and wealth by the appearance of fine wood and moldings is expressed  here. CC Hook, architect, he of many of the top structures of Charlotte in his time.

http://landmarkscommission.org/2016/11/09/gautier-gilchrist-house/

This is an historic structure; 50% tax reduction (I think). The link above mentions John and Pam Bloom who lived in Dilworth and bought this house in the late 1970's to rescue it from rooming house decline. Many, if not nearly all of these grand old homes had become rooming houses or jury-rigged apartments. I lived in one myself on East Kingston. The maintenance costs of these houses were monstrous at the time and think of the heating bill with antique equipment. The Blooms were the saviors of the house and had their first child while there, true urban pioneers. I was in the house at that time.

From the 1890's and until some time in the 1980s's (I cannot recall exactly the demise)  there was a barn on this property. A full two story structure on the lot to the left side of the house from the street view. It served as a laboratory and chemical storage location for the owner whose profession is described in the historic summary above. Dangerous stuff. Deed notes this is two and one half lots of Dilworth, perhaps the largest residential lot in the historic area.

A formal bed and breakfast would be an outstanding use of this house if business licensing allows. I believe I recall the Reynolds did some of that in the past.

• Like 4

Historic addendum:

Peter Gilchrist, a lawyer and district attorney for 36 years in Charlotte, 1974-2010, is of the family mentioned above. Also the historic summary mentions Mr. I. Hechenbleikner as a co-founder of their chemical company. This MUST be associated with the long time professor at UNCC and namesake of the Hechenbleikner Botanical Garden on campus and is another historic family name in our area. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drawscape said:

Just walked by the grassy field at the corner of Kenilworth and Morehead, looks like they are just starting to put up construction fencing around the property 

Per Accela, it's the new Proton Therapy facility.

https://atriumhealth.org/about-us/newsroom/news/2022/03/atrium-health-breaks-ground-on-new-radiation-therapy-facility

• Like 4