Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I agree, there's been so much commercial and residential development but the urban core is lacking a little in the cultural department. Someone else pointed out that the Rail Trail is sort of serving as a civic space at the moment and I would definitely support expanding on this. Imagine if the trail was just covered in street vendors and art pieces and interspersed little event spaces. It would be like a riverwalk type feature, except following the light rail instead of a river. I think that would be really cool and give Charlotte a notable tourist and cultural attraction.

Rail trail is a nice amenity.  I've run along it several times.  But nowhere near the stature of what I'm thinking with a Charlotte version of Trafalgar Square...a place for live concerts or mass civic gatherings or parades or bustling tent vendors.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Don’t forget that there was a rail trail expansion and parklet plan about 10 years ago. Some of the plans got implemented (swings at Carson, see saw at Bland) but other parts (patio and table space across from Prices and several other gathering spots) just got forgotten. Thoughtful bulb-out, small park space would really make a big difference.

The area around the Trolley Barn is somewhat neglected, but it still gathers quite a few folks. I am a little nervous about it being private property (there is an easement for rail but the parcels are still owned by Atherton Mill LLC according to Polaris) and the parking lot can be intrusive. Regardless ownership that area should become more of a gathering place once the trail on that side of the tracks is complete to Remount.

Sycamore also functioned (a little) like rail trail park space. The loss of that green (ish) space along with its weekend activity will diminish that part of the trail.

The new green space with Sycamore on One side and 20k of retail on the other in the new building will, I think, make the area even more inviting for people as they walk. I also suspect as the Silos and the Junction get torn down piece by piece (part of the silos already almost got sold to a developer) we will see even more green space and retail down the trail. 

• Like 4

On 9/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, Reverie39 said:

I agree, there's been so much commercial and residential development but the urban core is lacking a little in the cultural department. Someone else pointed out that the Rail Trail is sort of serving as a civic space at the moment and I would definitely support expanding on this. Imagine if the trail was just covered in street vendors and art pieces and interspersed little event spaces. It would be like a riverwalk type feature, except following the light rail instead of a river. I think that would be really cool and give Charlotte a notable tourist and cultural attraction.

All through Camden and South End, the sidewalks are feeling very congested, especially at the weekends.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Updated conceptual rendering being shown for this office building.  A big step forward.  It blends much better with 500 E Morehead a block to the west, and Spandrel's own apartment tower going up across the street.  Plus, no longer exposed parking.

There's actually an even newer version of this that looks even better, with changes to the top-floor patio that makes it look more recessed into the actual building (the facade is open/windowless but encloses the space), and the entryway is a bit more recessed.  I don't have a great rendering of that to show.

image.thumb.png.df22c17e6e656a2d981cc9755d0b7c49.png

I’ll take twenty of these low-rise buildings on surface lots all throughout uptown, please, high-rises be damned.  Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Updated conceptual rendering being shown for this office building.  A big step forward.  It blends much better with 500 E Morehead a block to the west, and Spandrel's own apartment tower going up across the street.  Plus, no longer exposed parking.

There's actually an even newer version of this that looks even better, with changes to the top-floor patio that makes it look more recessed into the actual building (the facade is open/windowless but encloses the space), and the entryway is a bit more recessed.  I don't have a great rendering of that to show.

That looks great.  Morehead is a beautiful street.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I'm having trouble telling from this rendering, but will it have any ground level retail?

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, atlrvr said:

A few minor additional details here on this Akridge project.

Project has already submitted for building permits.

Architect is LS3P.  I can't think of any recent residential projects in Charlottethat they've been involved with, but this high- rise in Durham looks promising, and something similar would be a good fit for this site.

The Novus (Durham, NC...NOT this project)

9512_172950_N2_print.jpg

This will be nice as I am now driving to and from Durham each Friday. That one high-rise above the treeline looks so lonely.  Like..sooooo lonely.

I have noticed people love to honk their horns in Durham.

I am honked at at least once every visit and each time I think how that can be somewhat of a death wish in CLT these days... 

On 7/21/2022 at 6:26 PM, Blue_Devil said:

Saucy Brew works was going to open here, and they were going to turn the old house into an a8 room BnB.

the brewery was going to have more space than OMB

Last update I saw on the Saucy Brew Works proposal at 501 E Morehead was that the project had run into difficulty securing financing.  The Cleveland-based company has also pulled out of some expansion efforts to focus on home base.  When originally announced, the project was expected to break ground in January 2022 for opening at the end of 2022 or early 2023.  Clearly that's not happening.

8 hours ago, Take2 said:

This will be nice as I am now driving to and from Durham each Friday. That one high-rise above the treeline looks so lonely.  Like..sooooo lonely.

I have noticed people love to honk their horns in Durham.

I am honked at at least once every visit and each time I think how that can be somewhat of a death wish in CLT these days... 

There is one as tall under construction with two others coming...

• Like 1