Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Could not agree more. I have always envied cities with massive stretches of mid-rise developments, they look so good and tend to be great walkable neighborhoods. Minneapolis has a great example of this in its warehouse district. Camden across the river from Boston has parts like this too. It looks fantastic and complements the taller buildings of the skylines very well.

Agree with you there in regards to Minneapolis; A lot of adaptive reuse in that area as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 12:37 PM, Reverie39 said:

Could not agree more. I have always envied cities with massive stretches of mid-rise developments, they look so good and tend to be great walkable neighborhoods. Minneapolis has a great example of this in its warehouse district. Camden across the river from Boston has parts like this too. It looks fantastic and complements the taller buildings of the skylines very well.

add Crystal City VA to the list. from a Distance we all love Charlottes skyline, but it is really cool how dense CCity feels when walking around it. Right across from DCA and of course the Metro serves to make cars unneeded.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Take2 said:

add Crystal City VA to the list. from a Distance we all love Charlottes skyline, but it is really cool how dense CCity feels when walking around it. Right across from DCA and of course the Metro serves to make cars unneeded.

Agreed, the DC area is full of satellite cities and urban pockets with pleasant low and mid rise developments. Arlington is home to many of them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Word from the Dilworth neighborhood discussion boards is that all the many (MANY!) workers and employees of the construction groups have taken the streets from Lexington to Templeton, Myrtle, and elsewhere for daytime parking. This upsets those residents who have used on street parking as their own. Rubbish collection is more difficult and similar complaints. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Word from the Dilworth neighborhood discussion boards is that all the many (MANY!) workers and employees of the construction groups have taken the streets from Lexington to Templeton, Myrtle, and elsewhere for daytime parking. This upsets those residents who have used on street parking as their own. Rubbish collection is more difficult and similar complaints. 

I bet many of them work at buildings walkable from Blue Line stops. The question is how to encourage its use now. They'll find plenty of parking at a suburban station.

• Like 1

The two large construction project at the intersection of Morehead and Euclid have a host of construction workers every day and no provision for parking for them but on street in the neighborhood; not office workers. When the buildings are completed the surge will disappear but that is a long time from today. 

4 hours ago, kermit said:

CBJ reports that Campbells Nursery is done in about a week. Certainly not a surprise here. They say they are "looking for other sites" but... sure....

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/10/28/campbells-greenhouses-and-nursery-dilworth.html

this already has some interest from a high rise apartment developer if I remember correctly. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mw213 said:

Two blocks up from Campbells, H&H Automotive has officially relocated to Wilkinson Blvd. A garage and their semi-scrap yard in the back is not the best use for a rapidly developing corridor like South Blvd but man I'll miss those guys. Living walking distance from dropping off your car is such a nice perk, and everyone who worked there was incredible. They helped me out of a few emergencies, were incredibly knowledgeable, and regularly charged me under what they quoted for a job or didn't perform work that they didn't have to in order to fix the root problem. Who does that? Honest, smart, friendly guys. They also had the Tom Bradbury Dilworth book and some other historical information from their time there in the waiting room (and some of the biggest dogs I've ever seen in my life behind the counter a few years back), felt like a true part of the neighborhood. Please visist them on Wilkinson if it's convenient at all for you. I guess I'm off to CMD now?

Anyway... are the plans for that site known yet? I don't think that's part of the Tyber tower, but with all of the meh buidlings (sorry, Leeper&Wyatt) facing South and the huge gravel pit/abandoned church (?) on the Cleveland & Worthington corner, that whole block could change pretty dramatically if the dominoes start falling after the Tyber development.

They sold the property to Centrum, who also bought the former hotel site behind that parcel.  Centrum is going to do a hybrid with high-rise on South blvd side and stick (~5-story) on the Cleveland side. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Centrum will be in the lower 40s from what I understand, not sure how zoning even with height bonus allows, tapering down to townhouse scale along Cleveland

is this the 2nd tower to be built on that block?  the Southern Land Tyber Creek apartment tower?

https://southernland.com/property/dilworth-charlotte/

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, mw213 said:

Two blocks up from Campbells, H&H Automotive has officially relocated to Wilkinson Blvd. A garage and their semi-scrap yard in the back is not the best use for a rapidly developing corridor like South Blvd but man I'll miss those guys. Living walking distance from dropping off your car is such a nice perk, and everyone who worked there was incredible. They helped me out of a few emergencies, were incredibly knowledgeable, and regularly charged me under what they quoted for a job or didn't perform work that they didn't have to in order to fix the root problem. Who does that? Honest, smart, friendly guys. They also had the Tom Bradbury Dilworth book and some other historical information from their time there in the waiting room (and some of the biggest dogs I've ever seen in my life behind the counter a few years back), felt like a true part of the neighborhood. Please visist them on Wilkinson if it's convenient at all for you. I guess I'm off to CMD now?

Anyway... are the plans for that site known yet? I don't think that's part of the Tyber tower, but with all of the meh buidlings (sorry, Leeper&Wyatt) facing South and the huge gravel pit/abandoned church (?) on the Cleveland & Worthington corner, that whole block could change pretty dramatically if the dominoes start falling after the Tyber development.

Called H&H on your recommendation, and they can't take any appointments before November 15th, so it appears they're very well discovered and patronized in their new location.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, DMann said:

These buildings on Morehead are going to make an incredibly massive presence felt. Can’t wait to see it all finished.

I've always thought the usage of Morehead and East, for lawyers/finance/doctor/other rich people's offices, was strange. All those awesome houses on East and similar that are just law offices. 

• Like 2