Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

The Morehead corridor is really changing fast.  Look at this boutique office building proposed at 618 E Morehead across from the Sprandrel tall apartment tower.   This is nice looking and perfect floorplate size for accounting and legal firms.  
It is 4 levels of office, 3 of parking and the ground floor. 
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/EM4z5BgKZVh5GzKNJpvePLGDWHL6lNs5LusIo8iCR4Q/618 EAST MOREHEAD BROCHURE compressed.pdf
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_11/618-E-Morehead-St-Charlotte-NC-618-East-Morehead-Street-1-Large.jpg.f2bed775933c90bac3d7cb3246454309.jpg

Oh yeah I remember seeing the sign for this a month and a half ago!
7061dbe977722d1b6d6ba09a62776c88.jpg
  • Like 4

If that slogan was from that time period it likely would have been from the lips of this man, Clarence Kuester. As a boy he lit gas lamps in downtown Charlotte. As an adult he was Chamber of Commerce spokes man for many years. 

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/charlotte/name/clarence-kuester-obituary?id=15739512

• Thanks 2

The "Watch Charlotte Grow" was around in 1905.

""One of the evidences of this awakening to the opportunities ahead was the meeting on October 20, 1905, of a group of such citizens in the office of a young lawyer named E. Randolph Preston and the organization of the Greater Charlotte Club, whose slogan was "Watch Charlotte Grow." And although the war interrupted this growth to some extent - in bringing soldiers to Camp Greene who would return as residents it also helped spur the city's development - Charlotte shortly began an expansion that soon thrust the Queen City into the very forefront of southeastern municipalities.""

https://www.cmstory.org/exhibits/hornets-nest-book-one/city-needs-boosters

and Mr Kuester mentioned above was called "Booster Kuester" for his tireless promotion of the QC.  

• Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, CLTdev18 said:

This is Jim Gross' mixed use site. IIRC it's 394 apartments, 5,400 sf office and 1,300 sf retail/restaurant.

I too sometimes still mix it up. Doesn't help that we went to Big Daddy's (the seafood restaurant on highway 150 in Mooresville) a fair amount as a kid. I wonder how that place is doing...

Do we have renderings of the Jim Gross project? I feel like they were released at some point. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I roller skated there when it was Cavalaris roller rink. Fairly good wooden rink, few dead spots, lighting was normal for that period, meaning dim with the bulbs of the time. Food and drink at rink level was dreadful, thus perfect for the yoof.

Do young people roller skate indoors now?

Interesting, was it the Dilworth grille part or in the back where the big chill is? Either way I am taking my kids next month to a skate party. I still consider myself young-ish. ^_^

• Like 3

Roller rink was lower level. Current basement-y Neighborhood Grille.  Cavalaris restaurant was street level above skating. 

edit: Spaghetti Factory came after Cavalaris restaurant. I went to Spaghetti Warehouse in current Nebel Mill, South End, but never the Factory

Edited by tarhoosier

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

The Keith Corp is looking to rezone the Dilworth Neighborhood Grille building/parking lot to allow for an office building up to 225' in height.  This would not include the old dry-cleaner/butcher shop/poke bowl/??? building at the corner Morehead/Mcdowell.

Wow that’s a very interesting development.  It would seem that the promise of nearby ‘The Pearl’/Innovation District (plus Bklyn Village) May touch off some substantial growth in this area.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I roller skated there when it was Cavalaris roller rink. Fairly good wooden rink, few dead spots, lighting was normal for that period, meaning dim with the bulbs of the time. Food and drink at rink level was dreadful, thus perfect for the yoof.

Do young people roller skate indoors now?

Haven't been roller skating a lot but all the rinks I've seen/been to have been indoors.  Usually a solid amount of people skating around, mostly younger but a few middle aged/older skaters as well.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, atlrvr said:

The Keith Corp is looking to rezone the Dilworth Neighborhood Grille building/parking lot to allow for an office building up to 225' in height.  This would not include the old dry-cleaner/butcher shop/poke bowl/??? building at the corner Morehead/Mcdowell.

Those businesses have been through a lot at that corner with the construction in the streets making that a miserable area to walk or drive for a long time now. Looks like the new building is a ~30,000 sq. foot reduction in the amount of retail space available,  Will reserve judgement until renderings are available to see if this will make the area feel more lively and walkable. It won't be hard to do... as the parking spaces along Moorehead for the current building make this stretch very unsafe for walking (nothing like being sandwiched between cars going 45mph on one side and a Jeep Wrangler trying to back out of a parking spot on the other side). 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Those businesses have been through a lot at that corner with the construction in the streets making that a miserable area to walk or drive for a long time now. Looks like the new building is a ~30,000 sq. foot reduction in the amount of retail space available,  Will reserve judgement until renderings are available to see if this will make the area feel more lively and walkable. It won't be hard to do... as the parking spaces along Moorehead for the current building make this stretch very unsafe for walking (nothing like being sandwiched between cars going 45mph on one side and a Jeep Wrangler trying to back out of a parking spot on the other side). 

That corner is awful, and seeing as we usually wait for developers to create pedestrian accesses when they build TOD, I suspect the development will improve this corner for pedestrians.

• 2 weeks later...