Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

56 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New patient bed tower at Atrium Main.

that is one huge building only 12 stories but 1.2 M sq ft!

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/12/12/atrium-health-building-permit-bed-tower-hospitals.html

Didn't someone post a model or basic massing diagram a year or two ago about a new tower at the hospital? I remember a curved building was shown. 

42 minutes ago, rumphy said:

Also seen on the construction site. Not clickable. Anyone know about this rendering?

063C51FA-ED52-4E79-8FDE-8380FA5A639C.jpeg

Check the Pearl District thread - Pretty Sure that this Rendering has been changed couple times but now has been scaled back to a 10 Story Office Tower (Along the lines of Some like those in the Ballantyne Office park)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wholly Crap - Medic/CMPD just confirmed Three (3) People Killed this morning at the Dilworth Cluster High-Rise Site.  What a freaking tragedy for their Family, Friends and Coworkers/Colleagues.  This will unfortunately make national news.  Haven’t released any other info but I’m thinking it had to be some type of collapse to kill so many people.  Damn

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

6 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wholly Crap - Medic/CMPD just confirmed Three (3) People Killed this morning at the Dilworth Cluster High-Rise Site.  What a freaking tragedy for their Family, Friends and Coworkers/Colleagues.  This will unfortunately make national news.  Haven’t released any other info but I’m thinking it had to be some type of collapse to kill so many people.  Damn

Yes it was 3 people and happened at the Hannover apartment site which is the current tallest of the 3 projects.  

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/3-dead-industrial-accident-construction-site-paramedics-say/L7JF3JVJNNFFZMTEGGBJBR4WYE/

construction can be a very dangerous profession especially high rise construction.    Very sad indeed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Construction can be dangerous but most often, these types of accidents can be prevented. The collapse is no (in my opinion) real uncontrollable accident and I would think some structure of the scaffolding was not well supported or over stressed, not checked enough, or misused. Contractors/Builders will do something to anything in an effort to save on construction costs and in the end they are playing a balancing game with things that are out of their scope of understanding. A dangerous game to play that can absolutely cause death. Engineers always have public safety in mind that absolutely includes construction workers (or at least they all should). They do incredible work and well though-out design of structures and projects. Engineering is extremely misconstrued and forgotten in the general public when it comes to construction. Architects are almost always purely aesthetic/renderings and do not design the actual parts of the building that hold it up and the systems that make them work. The public will confuse the architect with the engineers, which are more often than not, separate. This structure they were standing on, I’m positive was supposed to be inspected by a structural engineer or someone who knew about the stability of this structure. I am also certain someone will be called out here to take a look at how that scaffolding failed and why. It’s hard for me to say these thing shouldn’t happen, especially because it did and it has before. Here in Charlotte even. It’s honestly a preventable accident. Construction has gotten so much safer now than it ever has been, a lot of companies are holding safety as a high priority. Deeply sorry for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and hoping the injured recover swiftly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

it was reported that they fell 70ft from an interior scaffold collapse..  How is that possible?  

interior courtyard they did not explain that correctly.  the scaffolding was outside the building but in a courtyard and that is where it collapsed.  This I could see from Channel 9 shot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2