Rival cities

Does your city have a rival? You know, like two cities that are unofficially competing on everything, whose residents love to 'hate' each other?

Pittsburgh's rival, for example, is Cleveland. Aside from the football rivalry, the two cities are similar in that they are both 'rust belt' cities that suffer from image problems, and both have undergone a sort of renaissance. It also helps that the cities are not too far apart, maybe 2 or 3 hours drive.

What is your city's rival, and why?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta has rivals based on varying levels - a historic regional rivalry has been with Birmingham, particularly when they were the same size. A modern major city rivalry has been with Dallas, with that city having the advantage - but is closest to Atlanta's size & economic strength. An emerging rivalry is with Charlotte, which is growing in regional significance.

Tucson and Phoenix have quite a bit of a rivalry.

The annual ASU/UA football game always brings on lots of bets (ASU is much better but lost last year).

Tucsonans hate Phoenix and think that Phoenicians are a bunch of migrant Californian snobs.

Phoenicians hate Tucson and think that Tucsonans are a bunch of backwoods rednecks.

...Phoenix sucks though. It is very true.

Houston and Dallas also have a rivalry.

Whenever you mention how Houston is the largest city in Texas to someone from Dallas, they immediately counter that the DFW metroplex is much larger than the Houston metro area.

I think this has to do with distance, and maybe even airlines, as DFW is the American Airlines headquarters where IAH is the Continental headquarters.

Hartford, CT and Providence, RI. Just go to the New England thread and you can tell. Providence is further ahead in it's revival while Hartford is just beginning it's own. Historically Hartford has always had the upper hand. We had the NHL's Hartford Whalers for over 20 yrs before the moved to N. Carolina on us. Really every city in New England hate's every other city in New England except the fact that every New England state besides CT pledged allegiance to Boston and we hate Boston here as well.

Detroit doesn't really have one, unless someone can rationalize a city that is comprable to Detroit.

I see Chicago-this, Chicago-that all the time, maybe because historically, Detroit and Chicago once had some competitive traits. But now, really the rivalry is no more important than the direct link I-94 offers between the 1st and 2nd largest metros in the Midwest.

Really every city in New England hate's every other city in New England except the fact that every New England state besides CT pledged allegiance to Boston and we hate Boston here as well.

lol so true. The rest of New England doesn't like CT because half of our state is suburban NY.

I pledge my allegiance to NY. :)

I suppose it is in the eyes of the city - I had listed Charlotte as a future Atlanta rival, because I do see that city building a case to be the premier city for their region (eastern SE). I think this is particularly the case b/c most Atlantan's are not aware of Charlotte's potential, all they know is they are building some pretty skyscrapers in it's downtown.

But still cinco - are you being perfectly honest that people in Charlotte don't hold any feelings bordering on rivalry with Raleigh? Considering Raleigh is the state capitol & that in most cases - such as Birmingham & Montgomery, there is too often some animosity toward those cities that have 'political control'.

Besides, you NC forummers do spend a good deal of time arguing between each other ;) - I just find it doubtful that Raleigh isn't considered a rival. Having a rival has NOTHING to do with it being inferior to, it just means there is something at stake - economy, cultural resources, political power - anything.

Boston and New York, for baseball at least.

Definitely. But also Boston and Philadelphia in basketball, well back when the Celtics and Sixers routinely faced each other in the NBA playoffs. I forget exactly what year it was (2003 maybe), but I recall a guy on ESPN referring to a recent Celtics-Sixers playoff series as the renewing of a classic sports rivalry.

Archived