Rival cities

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about New Orleans vs. Memphis? Anyone think there's a rivalry between those two? Both cities have great history behind them, are the musical roots of the South, located on the same river, etc.

Nashville is Memphis' big rival. There's some jealousy and bitterness as Memphis was always the larger, more successful area until fairly recently and Nashville has really been prospering. Nashville getting the Titans when Memphis wanted an NFL team very badly kind of egged that one on. Being in the same state 3 hrs apart, though, creates natural rivals anywhere. The same is definitely true of Dallas and Houston.

There are several intense but one-sided rivalries from growing sunbelt cities. Nashville and Charlotte dream of being new Atlantas, always measuring their growth against their bigger neighbor--but Atlanta does not consider either city a rival. Maybe Jacksonville and Raleigh are the same way; they look to Atlanta, but Atlanta doesn't notice them. I wonder who Austin considers its chief rival? Does it look next door to San Antonio, or does it aim for Dallas & Houston? How about Boise?

I don't think any city in North Carolina considers Atlanta to be it's rival.

Although it was mentioned before that Greenville and Columbia are rivals, I don't think that the general population and governmental leaders of Columbia view Greenville as a rival, but rather view Charlotte as a rival, which in my opionion is our of our league...for now.

How about Myrtle Beach and Daytona Beach? Could you consider them rivals?

It's funny you mention that. Growing up in Columbia we never really thought of Greenville as a rival city either. It wasn't until I joined this site that I found some forumers who thought that. Most were from the Greenville area though. I think we always thought of Charleston as a peer city and CLT just 1 teir above Columbia kinda like Raleigh used to be or the way Greensboro, Knoxville, or Little Rock are today.

Nashville is Memphis' big rival. There's some jealousy and bitterness as Memphis was always the larger, more successful area until fairly recently and Nashville has really been prospering. Nashville getting the Titans when Memphis wanted an NFL team very badly kind of egged that one on. Being in the same state 3 hrs apart, though, creates natural rivals anywhere. The same is definitely true of Dallas and Houston.

I think Memphis will get an NFL team later on down the line, just like Nashville will get an NBA team. Dallas & Houston I know are big rivals. On another forum there were talks about how Dallas & Houston folks used to get into fights over which city was better.

Here's one to think about, because it's never been mentioned before:

Raleigh vs Winston-Salem

They have very similar downtowns and skylines. NCSU and Wake Forest each consider themselves to be better than the other. I think this might be primarily a Raleigh thing. Raleigh is substantially larger than Winston, and it's the capital, but it's been upstaged by the banking presence in Winston's CBD. The prominance of art academia in Winston challenges Raleigh's perception of itself as the city with the leading creative class in NC (or at least the metro area with that).

Raleigh and Charlotte don't compete. Really, there is no competition. The Charlotte folks just get ticked off whenever the Atlanta folks compare them to Raleigh instead of Atlanta. :)

Here in Atkinson County, Georgia (where I live) the two rival cities are Willacoochee (My city and pretty much the employeed city in the county) and Pearson (County Seat, not to much industry at all.) Maybe I haven't already posted, because it seems I have and I searched the Post but nothing was found. So if I have posted please forgive me.

Localy, I can't really think of a rival for Greensboro. However, I can think of a rivalry for North Carolina.

North Carolina's rivalry would probably be Ohio because of the "Birth of Aviation" thing. Think about it. North Carolina's licence plates are Wright Brothers themed and Ohio's licence plates are Wright Brothers themed. One of those states are probably the true aviation home states, but there aren't enough clear clues.

Well, annexing is so hard to do in SC. This is why Greenville, a city with an urbanized area population of ~300,000 in 2000 (probably close to 350,000 today) only has a municipal population of ~56,000 confined to 26 sq miles. Charleston is pretty much restricted to the peninsula, but the metropolitan area is growing like wildfire. Small city proper, big place overall (urbanized area of ~420,000 in 2000).

Hey krazee, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The city is not restricted to the peninsula, with its land area being over 100 square miles. The city has dense surburbs in its limits with Daniel Island, areas west of the Ashley River, and James Island.

Back on topic, yes, there is a rivalry between Savannah and Charleston. Sav dislikes Chas because Chas has a busier port and takes more tourism dollars. It is also more popular than Sav. Chas dislikes Sav on the other hand because Sav is perceived as bigger than Chas in terms of city limits, when clearly Chas has far more urban area and people. Chas also has alot more holes in its limits, and if they were all annexed, Chas would be the clear winner in city population as well as metro.

There is also a rivalry between Chas and Columbia partially from the fact that the original capital of SC was Chas. Many Chas people, myself included, have a slight bitterness to Cola since they kept I-95 from being built close to the city. Cola and Chas leaders couldn't agree on where to build the highway, and as a result, I-95 was built almost exactly halfway between the 2 cities. Chas also sometimes feels slighted with how highway and improvement projects get put on the backburner where Cola seems to get plenty of road and business improvements. I actually can't say this is true now, especially with the new $650 million Cooper River bridge completed in Chas.

Norfok and Vabeach are very big rivals and they are right next to each other. Vabeach has a very snobby attitude and thinks they are better than Norfolk. They don't want to except the fact that Norfolk is the urban core of the Hampton Roads area either.

<_< Rus...

Hey krazee, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The city is not restricted to the peninsula, with its land area being over 100 square miles. The city has dense surburbs in its limits with Daniel Island, areas west of the Ashley River, and James Island.

Sorry if I was unclear about this (or just plain wrong). Of course, downtown (the core) is pretty much the peninsula, but since the city extends into neighboring Berkeley County, it IS certainly much more than just the peninsula.

Localy, I can't really think of a rival for Greensboro. However, I can think of a rivalry for North Carolina.

North Carolina's rivalry would probably be Ohio because of the "Birth of Aviation" thing. Think about it. North Carolina's licence plates are Wright Brothers themed and Ohio's licence plates are Wright Brothers themed. One of those states are probably the true aviation home states, but there aren't enough clear clues.

I may be wrong, but I look at it like this: while NC may be "first in flight" (I know, because NC has had those license plates for about a generation now, LOL), Ohio is the birthplace of the science of aviation. In other words, Ohio took what NC initially did and gave it a foundation and expanded it--hence, they are the "birthplace of aviation." Don't know if that's correct or not, but that's my take on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlantas crime is nowhere near as bad as Detroit! :shok:

Actually, Atlantas crime is worse! :shok:

And that's part of why Detroit sometimes compares itself with Atlanta, "why are metro Detroiters vacationing to Atlanta, but avoiding Detroit like the plague, when Atlanta has worse crime?"

Some stats are below (I cut out everything above or below the two cities), but basicly, Atlanta has more crime than Detroit. However, alot of the time Detroit is listed higher than Atlanta, but that is because the private organizations running the list weigh different crimes differently. If the equation they use to calculate the cities crime rating weighs auto theft heavily, then Detroit will be higher on the list than normal.

This doesn't mean that Atlanta is some kind of ghettoed out battle field, it just means that Detroit isn't a ghettoed out battle field.

Violent Crime:

/100k City

1842.0 Atlanta

1839.4 Baltimore

1828.0 Miami Gardens

1824.0 Springfield

1748.1 Orlando

1748.1 Daytona Beach

1740.4 Detroit3

Murder:

/100k City

42.1 Detroit3

40.2 Compton

35.8 Washington

33.8 Richmond

33.7 St. Louis

33.7 Saginaw

32.3 Flint3

30.0 Newark

29.3 Jackson

29.1 Charleston

29.0 Youngstown

28.8 Fort Myers

26.0 Atlanta

Rape:

/100k City

Niether Atlanta or Detroit are in the top 20, but Detroit is #45.

Robbery:

/100k City

724.5 Atlanta

711.5 Cleveland3

711.4 Hartford

682.9 Richmond

670.5 Trenton

657.4 Philadelphia

640.8 Miami Beach

638.5 Baltimore

616.0 West Palm Beach

614.5 Miami

607.7 Dallas

596.9 Minneapolis

596.2 Detroit3

Aggravated Assault:

/100k City

(neither are in the top 20)

All Crime (Violent and Property):

Detroit is #75, Atlanta is #21

These stats are copied and pasted from someone on a forum, so some of the information is missing, but as you can see, atlanta's crime rate is #21 in the nation and Detroit's is #75. These are all raw crime stats from the government, with no weighing system.

and sorry to take up so much space with the lists everyone :lol:

Archived