Rival cities

Miami and New York to some extent, but only from the Miami side. The large amount of New Yorkers here makes thing interesting.

Miami and Havana.

South Florida v the rest of Florida. They hate us for the most part.

In sports, there's certainly a rivalry. Whenever the Knicks and Heat play, it can get wild. Same goes for when the Jets and Dolphins play each other. Probably having a large amount of New Yorkers in Miami makes Knicks-Heat and Jets-Dolphins games even more crazy.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol so true. The rest of New England doesn't like CT because half of our state is suburban NY.

I pledge my allegiance to NY. :)

Yep, a guy from Western Mass who lived on my dorm floor during my junior year at UConn pretty much summed up what you posted, calling CT "pseudo-New England" and saying that the entire state is just a suburb of NYC. He wasn't the only one who felt that way. Why, just this morning on the Fox 25 News here in Boston, the weather man put CT down while talking about a weekend cold front. He called RI by its nickname, the Ocean State, and then said "CT, whatever its nickname is - we don't really care too much about about CT, it just the place that separates RI from NY." I'm surprised he didn't go and put NY down while he was at it. Frankly, I wasn't all that surprised that he said that. I guess people in Mass really don't like CT. Then again, they don't seem to like a lot of places outside of Mass.

lol so true. The rest of New England doesn't like CT because half of our state is suburban NY.

I pledge my allegiance to NY. :)

nyc is the center of the universe. that puts boston in close proximity to pluto. i think that pluto, massachusetts has a nice ring to it!

there is no doubt that many of us here in ct have bad taste though. many people here actually root for pluto's teams. why people from ct would root for teams based in an area that hates everyone, everywhere is beyond me.

nyc is the center of the universe. that puts boston in close proximity to pluto. i think that pluto, massachusetts has a nice ring to it!

there is no doubt that many of us here in ct have bad taste though. many people here actually root for pluto's teams. why people from ct would root for teams based in an area that hates everyone, everywhere is beyond me.

:rofl: Well it certainly feels like Pluto from November to April in Boston. Ugh! I hate Boston winters. Well said, Blackstone - oh and welcome to the forum, BTW. You make an excellent point. Why try to join a team or a group that doesn't want you? If they're gonna be that way, then who needs 'em? Yeah, I can't figure out why so many residents in CT in the 860 area code are fans of Boston's teams, either, unless maybe they came there from MA. But as long as the actual team players appreciate it, that's really what counts most.

when Marlines played Yankeee in Miami, people seem to cheer for Yankee

What about when the Marlins play the Mets(my team, yeah I know they're not in the playoffs, but so what)? The Mets and Marlins are both in the NL East, so they play each other a lot more often that the Marlins play the Yanks. There's gotta be somewhat of a rivalry there, I think.

NY and London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong. They make up some of Saskia Sassen's global cities that compete in terms of finance, culture, power, global influence, etc.

LA is definitely a global city, and especially when you think of Asia-Pacific-American trade, this city is really important..

What about when the Marlins play the Mets(my team, yeah I know they're not in the playoffs, but so what)? The Mets and Marlins are both in the NL East, so they play each other a lot more often that the Marlins play the Yanks. There's gotta be somewhat of a rivalry there, I think.

It's usually 50/50 with mets/marlins fans. When the yankees come to town it's usually a sell out with the yanks making up a majority of the fans. Jets/Dolphins seems to be 50/50 at times as well.

I always thought LA and SF had the classic rivalry with each city thinking they are the important one while both look down on San Diego.

yes, in general there's a pretty healthy NorCal-SoCal rivalry. SF ppl think that SF is more cultured and liken their city to NY (wannabe's :P But as a "world city" I think SF just doesn't fit the bill.

San Diego has a mind of its own :) they are top competitors against LA when it comes to tourism, and they have a strong biotech/pharmaceuticals industry.

but nobody else has Hollywood... B)

South Florida v the rest of Florida. They hate us for the most part.

Thats so true!,..Those are fightin words in Northeast Florida.

LA vs. New York, while Chicago sits in the Midwest like a middle child, not really caring who whens that rivalry.

Tampa vs. Jacksonville

Columbia vs Greenville

Dallas vs Houston

Yep, a guy from Western Mass who lived on my dorm floor during my junior year at UConn pretty much summed up what you posted, calling CT "pseudo-New England" and saying that the entire state is just a suburb of NYC. He wasn't the only one who felt that way. Why, just this morning on the Fox 25 News here in Boston, the weather man put CT down while talking about a weekend cold front. He called RI by its nickname, the Ocean State, and then said "CT, whatever its nickname is - we don't really care too much about about CT, it just the place that separates RI from NY." I'm surprised he didn't go and put NY down while he was at it. Frankly, I wasn't all that surprised that he said that. I guess people in Mass really don't like CT. Then again, they don't seem to like a lot of places outside of Mass.

I'm a little surprised that a guy from Western Mass was saying stuff like that. A good chunk of western Mass essentially belongs to CT, and people from eastern Mass could care less about the west(In fact, many Bostoners think western MA shouldn't be a part of New England either).

I think Mass hates us because we (Connecticut) have sort of broken off from the establishment (New England) and joined the enemy (NY). It's similar to the Colonies breaking away from British rule back in the 18th century. Old England was fighting with New England, now New England is fighting with New New England. :wacko: We are trying to set ourselves free from the tyranical rule of Boston...we want the freedom to keep bars open past 2am, damnit!

I'm a little surprised that a guy from Western Mass was saying stuff like that. A good chunk of western Mass essentially belongs to CT, and people from eastern Mass could care less about the west(In fact, many Bostoners think western MA shouldn't be a part of New England either).

I think Mass hates us because we (Connecticut) have sort of broken off from the establishment (New England) and joined the enemy (NY). It's similar to the Colonies breaking away from British rule back in the 18th century. Old England was fighting with New England, now New England is fighting with New New England. :wacko: We are trying to set ourselves free from the tyranical rule of Boston...we want the freedom to keep bars open past 2am, damnit!

I'm surprised too. Trust me, most people here in the city do not consider much outside of the 495 belt to be a "real" part of Massachusetts. I used to live in Bolton for a little bit before Boston and they refer to it here as the sticks, even though it is 40 mins west directly on 495.

Of course, when you say anything about CT around the city here... you usually get a response like "CT: Just like Mass but dirtier and more expensive" and RI is referred to as just another county of MA.

Guys, London and NYC of course! , all the time my friend from the U.K. compares our beloved city of New York, to his city of London, i guess there just sore because we wasted them at the revolutionary war , but they have a point, have any of you seen the thread on londons future projects?!!!?!? IT WASTES NYC! COme on we're the worlds stongest super power and all were building are boxes! Lets get creative we need more buildings like the "freedom tower" , then they'll have no reason ot even compare there city! :thumbsup:

Although it was mentioned before that Greenville and Columbia are rivals, I don't think that the general population and governmental leaders of Columbia view Greenville as a rival, but rather view Charlotte as a rival, which in my opionion is our of our league...for now.

How about Myrtle Beach and Daytona Beach? Could you consider them rivals?

Although it was mentioned before that Greenville and Columbia are rivals, I don't think that the general population and governmental leaders of Columbia view Greenville as a rival, but rather view Charlotte as a rival, which in my opionion is our of our league...for now.

How about Myrtle Beach and Daytona Beach? Could you consider them rivals?

Thats a good one,..

However, Daytona Beach seems to have more of a national presents than does Myrtle Beach.

Maybe because of Spring Break, Daytona 500, or its close prox. to Metro Orlando.

But Myrtle Beach is very well established, and has a beach front skyline that rivals many other beach front communities along the Atlantic coastline from New Jersey to Central Florida.

Myrtle Beach is also a nice place to live and visit. Daytona on the other hand is great to vist, but you probrobly wouldnt want to live there (at least within Daytona city limits).

Archived