Rival cities

I actually see Charlotte and Atlanta as Sibling cities. Like They both have that Big Bank Presence. The only thing I could see them rivalling over currently is the nascar Hall of Fame, but I diagree on anything else. I know Wachovia employeeswho are constantly in transit between these cities. So I see Charlotte and Atlanta as Sister Cities, or Brother Cities.

( I don't know the cities sex but if anyone does, please inform me. )

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Narbone (an ancient capital of the roman province of Narbonensis) against Carcassonne (the capital of the departement).

Also there's the "cassoulet war" (the cassoulet is a kind of stew with beans and meat). 3 cities claim the "paternity" of the cassoulet : Castelnaudary, Toulouse and Carcassonne, mainly Carcassonne and Castelnaudary.

An old poetry :

"Each place has its delicacies

And vaunts its tasty morsels :

Lagrasse has its grey partridges,

La villa-Savary sucks its melons,

Albi loves its gimbelettes.

Everywhere we know the estouffet.

Limoux lathers its blanquette (the wine of course),

Castelnaudary ONLY has the cassoulet." :whistling:

In fact there are all sorts of special cassoulets in the cities around.

What about Rivalries between states? I'd say Michigan-Ohio is a huge one! It goes back much further than football. Ohio has more people than Michigan, Michigans population is growing faster than Ohio. Ohio has lower unemployment than Michigan, albeit barely. Michigan has higher per person/ per household income than Ohio.

In the 1830's there was the "Michigan-Ohio" war, over the city of Toledo.

it's crazy the anamosity between these two states.

Those areas are small. I thought they were larger than that.

Well, annexing is so hard to do in SC. This is why Greenville, a city with an urbanized area population of ~300,000 in 2000 (probably close to 350,000 today) only has a municipal population of ~56,000 confined to 26 sq miles. Charleston is pretty much restricted to the peninsula, but the metropolitan area is growing like wildfire. Small city proper, big place overall (urbanized area of ~420,000 in 2000).

Although it was mentioned before that Greenville and Columbia are rivals, I don't think that the general population and governmental leaders of Columbia view Greenville as a rival, but rather view Charlotte as a rival, which in my opionion is our of our league...for now.

I actually think that in some regards, the general populatin and governmental leaders of Columbia view Greenville as a rival. Some ignorantly still think of Greenville as some little backwater foothills town, which is hardly the case.

Charlotte sets a certain standard in the Carolinas, so most major cities in the Carolinas wind up comparing themselves to Charlotte in certain respects. The only exceptions would be Charleston and Asheville due to the uniqueness of those cities. If anything, I think Charlotte has somewhat of an infatuation with Charleston, which is the most urban city in the Carolinas IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Although it was mentioned before that Greenville and Columbia are rivals, I don't think that the general population and governmental leaders of Columbia view Greenville as a rival, but rather view Charlotte as a rival, which in my opionion is our of our league...for now.

I agree with you, you're definately on point. A lot of Columbian's view Greenville as the tra*p between Atlanta and Charlotte's ...skirts. lol...

I always thought Orlando and Tampa had a rivalry especially due to Tampa getting the Bucs and the Devil Rays over Orlando, which may be smaller but probobly a better destination city for traveling fans to go to. Not to mention that they will catch up to Tampa in population soon enough... they are also centralized.

• 2 weeks later...

Indianapolis, Louisville, and Cincinnati all seem to have a mutual distaste for each other due to what I perceive to be a bit of a rivalry. Cincy's obviously bigger and older than Indy or Louisville (especially older than Indy), and I think people in Cincy probably don't realize Indy or Louisville exist... but Indy is quickly gaining on Cincy in population, and Louisville is growing, too. I know Louisville forumers on other sites look down on Indy because of its relative suburbanism compared to Louisville--and though that is somewhat true, the Louisville forumers rarely have much to say when you point out that Indy's MSA is at least 400,000 or 500,000 bigger than Louisville. On the flipside, I think most of those forumers from Indy would kill to have the number of urban, dense neighborhoods that Louisville and Cincy have.

These are all just my opinions, by the way--feel free to disagree.

Oddly enough, Columbus, OH (which is almost identical demographically to Indy), seems to be left out of this rivalry. Just the fact that you have to put "OH" behind "Columbus" kind of speaks to the significance that people attach to the city. It's sad, too, because I think Columbus is a fabulous city that offers the progressive development of Indy, as well as some of the older, denser neighborhoods that Cincy does.

Memphis' main rivals are probably Louisville, Nashville, Birmingham, and to a lesser extent San Antonio and Indianapolis (for economic purposes; Memphis has found itself competing against those cities lately for things).

I think Nashville has emerged as the main rival in the past decade or so. The whole NFL situation was the tipping point. Memphis tried for 25 years to get a team, then Nashville goes out almost overnight and grabs the Oilers. To make matters worse, Memphis had the indignity of hosting Nashville's new NFL team in 1997 and was then made fun of in the national media because fans wouldn't show up. There has always been a simmering rivalry, anyway. Many Nashvillians thumb their noses at Memphis, seeing it as nothing more than a crime-ridden, blighted black ghetto. As a native Memphian who also lived in Nashville before, I am sometimes jealous of Nashville's more rapid growth, but I still like the city.

I have always considered Louisville the traditional, and more bitter, rival. Air Express hubs (FedEx vs UPS) and college sports (Tigers vs Cardinals). Also, the Grizzlies considered moving from Vancouver to Louisville but Memphis won out.

There are several intense but one-sided rivalries from growing sunbelt cities. Nashville and Charlotte dream of being new Atlantas, always measuring their growth against their bigger neighbor--but Atlanta does not consider either city a rival. Maybe Jacksonville and Raleigh are the same way; they look to Atlanta, but Atlanta doesn't notice them. I wonder who Austin considers its chief rival? Does it look next door to San Antonio, or does it aim for Dallas & Houston? How about Boise?

Nashville and Memphis can be pretty nasty. Some people from each of the cities despise and stereotype people from the other.

Also, Middle, East, and West Tennessee have rivalries with each other as divisions. Each division has it's own unique geography, culture, and to an extent, climate. We have a very diverse representation of people between Mountain City and Memphis.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, in general there's a pretty healthy NorCal-SoCal rivalry. SF ppl think that SF is more cultured and liken their city to NY (wannabe's :P But as a "world city" I think SF just doesn't fit the bill.

San Diego has a mind of its own :) they are top competitors against LA when it comes to tourism, and they have a strong biotech/pharmaceuticals industry.

but nobody else has Hollywood... B)

I don't mean to argue or try to say you are wrong, but I think San Fran is rather high on the world city list, isnt it? And it is one of the USA's most famous and visited cities. Last time I checked, on a travel website, it pulled in 16,000,000 tourists a year. I do believe it was higher than LA tourism. San Francisco is actually very famous around the world. The Golden Gate bridge is world famous, and San Fran's hills and cable cars are well known and people in Japan know it as the place where Japan and the US signed a peace treaty after WWII, and Japan Center is the center of American Japanese culture. And isn't San Fran still the ONLY US city with NO majority, where there is equal share (or close) of white, black, hispanic, and Asian? San Fran has a massive Asian and Pacific origin population. I, prsonally, know far more about San Fran than I do San Diego, but not to criticize. I'm sure San Diego is a fine city, and it is certainly beautiful. I'm not criticizing it.

Boston vs. New York (baseball)

Chicago vs. New York (Chicagoans detest being the "Second City")

New York vs LA (East vs. West)

New York vs. London (for Capital of the World status)

[/q

Why would Chicago still claim to be second, when they aren't second? LA is second largest city, has been for a while.

Do Londoners really think they are the center of the modern world? I'm afraid the UK isn't the center of global power, and neither is London. By almost all measure, NYC is #1. NY is the #1 financial center, business center, cultural center. New York has been called the center of the modern world by others for decades. London may be second now, but shortly New York's challenger will be Shanghai or Beijing (for a while anyway).

PS: I mean nothing smart or rude about your statements, just wondering if they really think what they think.

Archived