Best Canadian City

tomika!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only visited Edmonton and Vancouver, but I think Vancouver is the nicest Canadian city of these 2.

It has an atmosphere of a world-wide known city, a famous city.

It keeps being ranked as the best place to live by the UN.

It's a diverse city, with parks, mountains, beaches and water all around the city.

You can go to the modern downtown, or visit peacefull Stanley Park. There's lots to see there.

Edmonton is seemed like a provincial town to me. It had much more the atmosphere of another town in the province, rather than an international, diverse and attractive atmosphere wich I found in Vancouver.

It had no real beautiful nature surrounding the city (Jasper NP is 350 km from the city). And the downtown is smaller, and seemed less modern to me. And the climate in Edmonton is more continental too, so it's way colder there in the winters.

The only really cool thing about Edmonton is the Mall, ofcourse :D

I visited Montreal and Quebec City with my family when I was 13 - so I was too young to really appreciate them. I liked them both, but if I could only go back to one of them, it would defintely be Montreal. A lot more to see and do in MTL than in QC and you can go much further in MTL if you don't know French (of course it only helps to know it for MTL too). I found MTL to be more cosmopolitan, friendlier and easier to get around without a car. And it just seemed like a more fun place to be. But I also want to visit Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver.

My favorite Canadian city is Toronto.

I was there 2 years ago, and it was great! Im not used to that type of climate, but I was there during the summer and it was extremely comforatable. The whole area is nice, the people are nice, and I really enjoyed myself up there.

I may be going to Vancouver in a few months. I've never been there, but it looks beautiful!

Yeah, Toronto is kind of like a smaller version of NYC except not nearly as expensive to live in. There was a report done a little while ago about the best cities in which to live in the world. Toronto was #5 I believe and the highest rated in North America. All the major Canadian cities were near the top. I believe San Francisco, Boston, and NYC were also rated fairly high

Yeah, Toronto is kind of like a smaller version of NYC except not nearly as expensive to live in. There was a report done a little while ago about the best cities in which to live in the world. Toronto was #5 I believe and the highest rated in North America. All the major Canadian cities were near the top. I believe San Francisco, Boston, and NYC were also rated fairly high

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/...4/world.cities/

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Melbourne and Vancouver are the best cities in the world for expatriates to live in, according to a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit.

Here's the top 20:

1. (tie) Melbourne, Australia

1. Vancouver, Canada

3. Perth, Australia

4. (tie) Vienna, Austria

4. Toronto, Canada

4. Geneva, Switzerland

4. Zurich, Switzerland

8. (tie) Adelaide, Australia

8. Brisbane, Australia

8. Sydney,Australia

8. Copenhagen, Denmark

8. Dusseldorf, Germany

8. Frankfurt, Germany

8. Oslo, Norway

8. Montreal, Canada

16. (tie) Calgary, Canada

16. Helsinki, Finland

16. Stockholm, Sweden

19. (tie) Berlin, Germany

19. Amsterdam, Netherlands

Living in Vancouver was too good to be true. Walkable, a short bus ride to the mountains, a great leisure culture, good people.

But if your looking for something a bit smaller, nothing can beat the attitude and relaxing spell Victoria casts on you. Vancouver Island could quite possibly be the greatest place on Earth.

Vancouver by a mile. The San Francisco of Canada with much more in many ways than San Francisco. Vistas everywhere, ferrys to the islands in West Van, sking in North Van, urban living in the West End. Second largest Chinatown, beautiful parks and colleges. Beaches in English Bay. If you have ever lived or visited cities with mountain vistas from inside the city, those that don't have them always seem to have something missing.

Speaking of Canada,

does anyone have any pictures of St John's or Newfoundland in general?

I'm considering visiting St John's and Newfoundland because I've got relatives living there. I visited relatives in Seattle and Edmonton last summer, that was awesome and I'd like to go to North America again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have only been in two Canadian cities as well as Nova Scotia. My favorite was Toronto until we visited Montreal. I still like Toronto a whole lot. However, Montreal was nice. We had some great restaurants, very lively and active street life, as well as some cultural activities. It had a great subway system. All in all a city that I plan to return to in the future.

My vote would have to be for Vancouver.

I definately agree. Although that's somewhat biast since I live in the Seattle area and visit vancouver all of the time. I would say though, that Victoria is shortly behind vancouver and Toronto is shortly behind Victoria. All else, I cannot make a statement on.

I definately agree. Although that's somewhat biast since I live in the Seattle area and visit vancouver all of the time. I would say though, that Victoria is shortly behind vancouver and Toronto is shortly behind Victoria. All else, I cannot make a statement on.

I forgot to put my vote up there for Toronto as well. Toronto is a beautiful city in all reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I have never left the United States, I heard Toronto was a beautiful city. I know Canada isn't known for Urban lifesyle like the United States is, but Toronto is a fairly populated city, with small city feeling. But that is what gives it its beauty, and comfort. Toronto doesn't have the big-city stress and rush like New York, and Chicago but at the same time it has a decent population.

I know Canada isn't known for Urban lifesyle like the United States is, but Toronto is a fairly populated city, with small city feeling. But that is what gives it its beauty, and comfort. Toronto doesn't have the big-city stress and rush like New York, and Chicago but at the same time it has a decent population.

kywildcat, You'll have to go to Canada for a visit. Canada is very much known for an Urban Lifestyle. Even its small cities are very urban. For instance, Calgary shows 214 buildings in Emporis. Vancouver shows 533 buildings. Calgary is about the same size as Louisville. Louisville shows 57 buildings in Emporis. Vancouver is about the same size as San Antonio. San Antonio shows 71 buildings. To say how much the 533 is for Vancouver, LA has 457 buildings.

Archived