Construction takes to long...

BrandonTO416

http://world.nycsubway.org/us/phila/broadstreet.html

According to that - Philly's first subway system was first conceptualized in 1912. They decided to do construction in 1923, and by 1926 the first line was open. Its 7 miles worth of line.

That is a considerable amount of time from conceptualized to product, however not as much time as it takes in 2003.

My question is what can be done to speed up the process of building rail in 2003?

Subways nowadays almost never get built - and they never get built in 3 years.

Part of the problem I think is station design. People are way too obsessed with making individual stations works of art. While I love fancy stations - I would GLADLY take functional over expensive and time consuming.

We don't need an art gallery just to load a train.

Another thing is that I think worker safety protections and working environment is important - I will gladly accept taking more time for these concerns - but these are NEVER the concerns anymore. Its always bickering about funding or design.

WHAT CAN BE DONE?!?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once a project does get off the ground, work place safety is a big part of why it takes so long. Also safety concerns for the end user are more stingent then they were a century ago. Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston's subways would never be allowed to be built today the way they were built. Neighbourhood mitigation concerns take up a lot more time and money then they did 50 years ago as well.

Once a project does get off the ground, work place safety is a big part of why it takes so long. Also safety concerns for the end user are more stingent then they were a century ago. Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston's subways would never be allowed to be built today the way they were built. Neighbourhood mitigation concerns take up a lot more time and money then they did 50 years ago as well.

I agree, but wouldn't the advances in technology allow the project to be constructed faster, thus offsetting the extra time allowed for safety concerns and neighborhood mitigation concerns?

I agree, but wouldn't the advances in technology allow the project to be constructed faster, thus offsetting the extra time allowed for safety concerns and neighborhood mitigation concerns?

Yes, but the additional up front costs to speed a project up would be extraordinary, especially since the money situation in most places and governments is already tight.

I think there's a real lack of interest and commitment to rail at all levels of government. That's the main reason it takes forever to get built.

You can say that again. And once a rail line has been proposed they spend millions upon millions of dollars studying the route, like if they build it it'll be a huge mistake or something. It's ridiculous, IMO.

Archived