How exciting is Atlanta?

Newnan

I was reading the Charlotte forum and they had a thread about how exciting Charlotte is. Now I'd like to know, How exciting is Atlanta. In the urban core full of life and vivacity or not; what do you think a tourist would think of Atlanta? Post your opinion.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lived in both (currently in CLT)

They both are great places, but Atlanta has a better night life. Not in its CBD, but in areas around Buckhead, The Vinings, Midtown etc etc.

Bottom line Charlotte is getting there and has some really cool places like Southend, The Plaza, NoDa, and Uptown, but the area has not reached Atlanta status in terms of nightlife.....yet.

My thoughts are that in the coming years it will get MUCH better. Atlanta is always going to be Hotlanta though. They have already reached that level and are mature in the areas of nightlife.

The only thing that Atlanta will need to work on going forward is placing special attention to the Midtown and CBD area. It is coming, and coming fast.

A2

(just my two cents)

Im allways in Atlanta. The nightlife there is great. They have a few theme parks, shows, concerts, fests, and a few visitor destinations. But besides a couple spots along Peachtree in Buckhead, there isnt a real entertainment district. Although Downtown is pretty tight, Clubs and Restaurants. But I dont think there is any comparison between Atlanta's night life to Charlotte's.

I have lived in both (currently in CLT)

They both are great places, but Atlanta has a better night life. Not in its CBD, but in areas around Buckhead, The Vinings, Midtown etc etc.

Bottom line Charlotte is getting there and has some really cool places like Southend, The Plaza, NoDa, and Uptown, but the area has not reached Atlanta status in terms of nightlife.....yet.

My thoughts are that in the coming years it will get MUCH better. Atlanta is always going to be Hotlanta though. They have already reached that level and are mature in the areas of nightlife.

The only thing that Atlanta will need to work on going forward is placing special attention to the Midtown and CBD area. It is coming, and coming fast.

A2

(just my two cents)

Yet? lol, no offense but not many cities in the USA offer the nightlife that Atlanta has. Charlotte is FAR off in that respect.

Atlanta is very overrated and if you can't go to a club there what else is there to do...
  • High Museum of Art

• Atlanta Botanical Garden

• Fernbank Museum of Natural History

• Stone Mountain

• Six Flags over Georgia

• World of Coke

• Centennial Olympic Park

• CNN

• Fox Theatre

• Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

• Atlanta History Center

• Georgia Aquarium (Coming Soon)

• NASCAR Hall of FAme (also coming soon...sorry Charlotte)

I'm sure I've missed tons of stuff, feel free to add

^here's a few more from the top of my head:

Cyclorama

Grant Park

Zoo Atlanta

Piedmont Park

Observation deck at the top of the Westin Peachtree

Chattahoochee Nature Preserve

Underground Atlanta

Georgia Tech

If you feel adventurous, Kennesaw Mountain

Alliance Theater

MLK Historical Site

Jimmy Carter Presidential Library

Not to mention our four professional sports teams

Atlanta is still an exciting place, even though it doesn't have that aspect of musical history that Memphis and New Orleans has. Part of that also has to do with those cities' locations on the Mississippi, and Atlanta doesn't have a major river running through the city.

I can also think of other cities that are exciting but are not associated with a particular musical style or unique cuisine; DC, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.

Well all of that is great thing but its lacking that what New Orleans had in burbon st and the seafood and what Memphis has in beale st , Tunica and the BBQ

i forgot about the jazz in N.O and the blues in Memphis.

Atlanta is still an exciting place, even though it doesn't have that aspect of musical history that Memphis and New Orleans has.

Not to open up the can of worms here (based upon what its respective thread here at UP has become), but Atlanta has had qa strong association as one of the meccas for rap, hip hop, r&b, and so on in the last decade or so.

Not to open up the can of worms here (based upon what its respective thread here at UP has become), but Atlanta has had qa strong association as one of the meccas for rap, hip hop, r&b, and so on in the last decade or so.

I understand that but I didn't mention it for two reasons. The first is that Atlanta's affiliation with urban musical styles is only rather recent when compared with jazz and blues in N.O. and Mephis; their roots run pretty deep with those styles. Secondly, when it comes to substance, modern R&B and hip hop can't hold a candle to the jazz and blues that have roots along the Mississippi.

Well we are planning on opening up a 2 block area in downtown as a themed 'Crunk Town' entertainment district.

Who knows - 50 years from now there might be some old guys rapping up a storm, the 'Preservation Hall Crunk Band' which mostly white people spend $100 to see ;)

I'm sure you'll have many opportunities to see Atlanta. Heck, I live here and I get really disappointed when we don't get to go through Downtown Atlanta on our way home from somehwere (We often take the Atlanta Bypass)

Atlanta is very overrated and if you can't go to a club there what else is there to do...

Well, my two favorite things to do are eat and shop. Atlanta totally has that covered. Seriously, what do you like to do? Atlanta more than likely has something you would enjoy. There are parks, museums, art galleries, excellent resturants... Also, not all the clubs are places where people go to dance and hook up. There's other places, too. Like clubs/bars where people actually listen to music. Take your pick.

Also, not all the clubs are places where people go to dance and hook up. There's other places, too. Like clubs/bars where people actually listen to music. Take your pick.
I think the club scene here is pretty good for listening to music, and in fact that might make a pretty good thread of its own. The clubs are sort of scattered and it's often hard to know where to go.

I do miss the dance clubs like Rupert's, Mr. V's, Petrus, Backstreet, Velvet, etc. Of course I'm too old to cut the mustard now anyway, but I guess that is just a bygone era. Sweating to the oldies at the Hideaway is about as wild as I get these days.

Archived