Hottest SE City For Development

UrbanCharlotte

City Development  

264 members have voted

1. 1. What city (In the SE) is the hottest in terms of development so far in '05?

• Charlotte
    • Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Atlanta
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Other, specify

Miami is without question the number one city in this category. After that, Atlanta has more than any other city except for Miami. Tampa is next after Atl, based on the u/c numbers. I think Jax and Chl are fighting for 4th or 5th at best. I am not sure who has the most between Jax and Chl - let's call it a tossup. And, I think you can only count under construction in 2005. Proposed means something, but a proposal is not guaranteed to become reality like an under construction project usually is.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree 100%. I have lived in the NE and can tell you that when you add x amount of residents into such a small compact area the density number is jacked to a number that will be VERY close to a Boston. This of course is in a MUCH smaller area, so the mass will be concentrated, but for that concentrated area , I can assure you that Charlotte will be there in 20 years.

A2

Predictions are like opinions, every one has one. 60 years ago it was predicted that Detroit would continue to grow and densify to numbers that would resemble NYC. It was also predicted that Galveston wouldn't get hit by that 1900 Hurricane.

As far as the Charlotte/NE comparison goes, density isn't the only factor. The fact that Charlotte is landlocked alone, changes the nature of the beast. Varying styles of architecture over the years and large amounts of public park space also add into the equation. An overall city size of over 500+ square miles heavily dependent on automobiles also factors in.

I say we abandon ship on this topic before we all get flustered. I am not going to make this a city versus city thread. I think personally that Charlotte takes the title in TOTAL development, thus making it my pick for the city with the Hottest Develoment in 05'.

I agree with teshadoh, truth told Miami, takes every city listed out. I think that you have to keep this into perspective. All are great growing cities. I have lived in a few listed even, but for 05' I have seen more thing happen in Charlotte, expcept maybe Atlanta, than I have heard of in the others listed (excluding Miami, which probably should not be lumped into this poll)

A2

I say we abandon ship on this topic before we all get flustered. I am not going to make this a city versus city thread. I think personally that Charlotte takes the title in TOTAL development, thus making it my pick for the city with the Hottest Develoment in 05'.

I agree with teshadoh, truth told Miami, takes every city listed out. I think that you have to keep this into perspective. All are great growing cities. I have lived in a few listed even, but for 05' I have seen more thing happen in Charlotte, expcept maybe Atlanta, than I have heard of in the others liste (excluding Miami).

A2

A2 -

For the record, I'm very fond of Charlotte. And no question it's a hot city.

I'm just hoping that, as it becomes the spitting image of Boston, in a very few years, that Charlotteans don't start talking funny like the people up there.

VERY FIRM.

I know many who post on here that can't disclose projects that have not even been announed yet (simply because of NDA's). When counts are updated you will be VERY surprised. Another point to make is I have seen developers overwhemed by the demand in Center city.

Just last week the VUE announced they are wanting to add floors just because of demand in CC. The Vue alone will rival BofA in total height, with a floor count approaching 60.

A2

just because you have one building over 50floors it doesn't mean anything,and remember that vue is a residential building vs boa which is an office building mean it will be atleast 200feet under even with the spires.

A2 -

For the record, I'm very fond of Charlotte. And no question it's a hot city.

I'm just hoping that, as it becomes the spitting image of Boston, in a very few years, that Charlotteans don't start talking funny like the people up there.

For what its worth Dale, I appreciate the debate. I always find this site a wonderful way to chat about projects not only in Charlotte, but in other cities as well. I think as long as we debate in a mature fashion, we will all walk away with some knowledge of another city we might not have know before.

Anywho, great to see everyone cranked up this morning. :)

A2

I agree with teshadoh, truth told Miami, takes every city listed out. I think that you have to keep this into perspective. All are great growing cities. I have lived in a few listed even, but for 05' I have seen more thing happen in Charlotte, expcept maybe Atlanta, than I have heard of in the others listed (excluding Miami, which probably should not be lumped into this poll)

A2

Several post and threads all over the forum, tend to show that Charlotte isn't the South's most hottest city (outside of Miami) in terms of urban development. Yet you believe otherwise. All I really wanted to see is the information you have that has shaped your opinion and how does this compare with other cities to make it the forerunner? That's all I really was asking for.

just because you have one building over 50floors it doesn't mean anything,and remember that vue is a residential building vs boa which is an office building mean it will be atleast 200feet under even with the spires.

The Vue will be roughly 680 feet @ 58 stories. With spires possibly 750-780 feet. BofA is 871, meaning a difference of roughly 100 feet. The hearst is 660ft. This would be the 2nd tallest in CLT if Epicenter, and Wachovia do not go higher.

The Epicenter would be roughly 640 ft as a 53 story residential tower.

A2

Office typically has 14-15ft high floors, whereas residential is typically 10-12 depending on the building.

Several post and threads all over the forum, tend to show that Charlotte isn't the South's most hottest city (outside of Miami) in terms of urban development. Yet you believe otherwise. All I really wanted to see is the information you have that has shaped your opinion and how does this compare with other cities to make it the forerunner? That's all I really was asking for.

Then I will post this one more time. This is not my Opinion, it is a development map of Center city Charlotte. I can personally tell you that Charlotte's boom is not my opinion, but fact based on current development trends and the rapid population growth.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ype=post&id=726

This is the listing that coresponds to the map.

For more detail just access the thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...opic=14944&st=0

This is easy.....and Teshadoh has already shown some figures.

Most going on both in the city and Metro besides Miami:

Raw Numbers: Atlanta (easily)

Percent expansion: I would guess either Jax, Orlando or Tampa

Quality: nevermind

I saw the list and its impressive, but it doesn't factor in what is taking place in other cities, such as Houston, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale or Austin, to name a few. To accurately come to the conclusion the Charlotte is the overall leader, outside of Miami, you would also have to know what's going on in the other cities, during the same time period.

The Vue will be roughly 680 feet @ 58 stories. With spires possibly 750-780 feet. BofA is 871, meaning a difference of roughly 100 feet. The hearst is 660ft. This would be the 2nd tallest in CLT if Epicenter, and Wachovia do not go higher.

The Epicenter would be roughly 640 ft as a 53 story residential tower.

i have a hard time believing it would be that tall,and as to the floors being increased the developer said its to early to tell whether they would add any floors and if they did it wasn't necessarily going to be eight floors.

i have a hard time believing it would be that tall,and as to the floors being increased the developer said its to early to tell whether they would add any floors and if they did it wasn't necessarily going to be eight floors.

Even at 50 the tower would be around 600 feet in height minus spires. I went by the sales office yesterday and they are definately adding the floors. The Charlotte Business Journal is just slow to respond to the news. At 58 floors the building will be at least 680-700 feet (without spires). With spires this could easily top 800 feet.

A2

Under Construction Now in Downtown Orlando

Vue - 35 Floors

55 West - 32 Floors

Solaire - 30 Floors

Plaza South Tower - 21 Floors

Plaza North Tower - 16 Floors

Star Tower - 18 Floors

Sanctuary - 18 Floors

CNL2 - 12 Floors

Florida Hospital - 14 Floors

Winne Palmer - 12 Floors

801 North Orange - 8 Floors

Jackson - 8 Floors

All of the above are over 100Ft

Supposed to breakground by 2005

Dynetech - 30 Floors

Around 21 proposed in downtown area with a few more large lot still in design phase

A lot more construction in the I-drive/downtown Orange County Area.

A few noticable huge projects here

Orlando CityMark

citymarkpic3_1_-488x325.jpg

Blue Rose

bluerose5ts_1_-466x263.jpg

Orlando City Place

CityPlaceII_1_.jpeg

Downtown Orlando Skyline in a few years with the colored buildings are under construction/proposed

200tc_1_.jpeg

"One of Charlotte's newest residential towers may get taller before it's even out of the ground. Developers of The Vue, originally announced as a 50-story luxury condo project at Fourth and Pine streets, are considering adding as many as eight stories. Such an addition would make the tower Charlotte's second-tallest building; only the 60-story Bank of America Corporate Center would stand taller"

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...3/tidbits1.html

This is directly from the Business Journal. This could easily be the tallest residential tower in the SE if the height closes in on 800ft. The other interesting fact is that this will be the tallest building in the world using tunnel form construction.

A2

"One of Charlotte's newest residential towers may get taller before it's even out of the ground. Developers of The Vue, originally announced as a 50-story luxury condo project at Fourth and Pine streets, are considering adding as many as eight stories. Such an addition would make the tower Charlotte's second-tallest building; only the 60-story Bank of America Corporate Center would stand taller"

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...3/tidbits1.html

This is directly from the Business Journal. This could easily be the tallest residential tower in the SE if the height closes in on 800ft. The other interesting fact is that this will be the tallest building in the world using tunnel form construction.

A2

Miami's Met3, scheduled to break ground before the end of the year, will be 866 ft (some say taller than that).

Downtown Jacksonville, doesn't have the height of Charlotte's proposed towers, but it appears to have a distinct edge on number of significant sized towers proposed or under construction. If anyone knows of projects I'm leaving out, feel free to correct me.

Bold = under construction

Italic = breaking ground within the next year

1. Riverpointe I - 48-40 stories

2. Riverpointe II - 48-40 stories

3. The Peninsula - 38 stories

4. St. Johns Pointe tower 1 - 36 stories

5. San Marco Riverwalk 1 - 35 stories

6. San Marco Riverwalk 2 - 35 stories

7. San Marco Riverwalk 3 - 35 stories

8. St. Johns Pointe tower 2 - 33 stories

9. Old JEA Tower expansion - 31 stories

10. San Marco Riverwalk 4 - 30 stories

11. San Marco Riverwalk 5 - 28 stories

12. The Strand - 28 stories

13. The Landing office tower - 25 stories

14. Berkman Plaza II - 22 stories

15. San Marco Place - 21 stories

16.St. Johns Pointe 4 - 15 stories

17. St. Johns Center III - 13 stories

18. Riverside Partners - 13 stories

19. Westin Hotel - 12 stories

20. 323 Duval - 12 stories

21. Ocean Square - 12 stories

22. Lofts at East Union - 10 stories

23. Fidelity National Financial - 9 stories

24. Kings Avenue Station - 8 stories

25. Duval County Courthouse - 8-10

There are two riverfront downtown projects, that will include significant towers, as well.

* Shipyards Development - 40 acre mixed-use development with 662 residential units.

* Southside Generation Station - 25 acre mixed-use development with up to 1,000 residential units.

Let me give Downtown Tampa a try:

Bold = under construction

1. Trump Tower Tampa - 52 stories

2. Tampa Global Communications Teleconvergence Center - 45 stories

3. Kress Block Tower 1 - 44 stories

4. O2 Condominiums 1 - 41 stories

5.O2 Condominiums 2 - 41 stories

6. The Plaza at Channelside - 38 stories

7. Skypoint - 32 stories

8. Downtown Channelside 1 - 30 stories

9. Downotwn Channelside 2 - 30 stories

10. Towers at Channelside 1 - 30 stories

11. Towers at Channelside 2 - 30 stories

12. Kress Block Tower 2 - 27 stories

13. One Bayshore II - 26 stories

14. Kress Block Tower 3 - 24 stories

15. The Alagon - 24 stories

16. Embassy Suites Hotel - 23 stories

17. The Bellamy - 23 stories

18. The Plaza at Harbour Island 1 - 20 stories

19. The Plaza at Harbour Island 2 - 20 stories

20. The Plaza at Harbour Island 3 - 20 stories

21. Citivest - 19 stories

22. One Bayshore - 17 stories

23. Grand Central at Kennedy - 14 stories

24. Grand Central at Kennedy 2 - 12 stories

25. Ventana Condos 1 - 11 stories

26. Ventana Condos 2 - 11 stories

27. Park Crest at Harbour Island - 9 stories

28. Pinnacle Place Hotel - 8 stories

29. Residences at Franklin - 8 stories

homePix1.jpg

* The most important development in the works is, by far, Central Park Tampa. This 4,000 unit mixed-use development will link downtown with Ybor City.

http://www.centralparktampa.com/

Archived