Hottest SE City For Development

UrbanCharlotte

City Development  

264 members have voted

1. 1. What city (In the SE) is the hottest in terms of development so far in '05?

• Charlotte
    • Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Atlanta
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Other, specify

Tampa = 9.55 permits/sq mi

Atlanta = 8.03 permits/sq mi

Orlando= 6.99 permits/sq mi

Jacksonville= 6.79 permits/sq mi

Charlotte= 4.36 permits/sq mi

Nashville= 2.98 permits/sq mi

Unless, anyone can find a significant sized metro area with better numbers, it looks like Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL is the hottest SE city for development.

Cape Coral/Fort Myers MSA = 24.33 permits/sq. mi (19,558 permits from Jan.-Aug./804 sq. miles):o

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless, anyone can find a significant sized metro area with better numbers, it looks like Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL is the hottest SE city for development.

Cape Coral/Fort Myers MSA = 24.33 permits/sq. mi (19,558 permits from Jan.-Aug./804 sq. miles):o

Wow, that's a total monster. :w00t: Goooooooooooo Cape Coral/Fort Myers!!!

I find it funny that in face of data shown, the voting continues along the same lines. I wish some of the other voters can offer up why they are voting the way that they are. Tampa, Jacksonville and Orlando have not moved since we produced permits and then translated the data to permits per square miles. How funny.

I'll just throw this out there to keep the pot boiling.

There have been 7,001 permits in Mecklenburg Co. (the core county of the Charlotte MSA) and the land area is 526 sq. mi., for a permit density of 13.3 through August.

Some of Florida's core counties: (permits from Jan. to Aug.)

Lee (Fort Myers): 19,558 permits/804 sq. miles = 24.33 permits/mile

Miami-Dade (Miami): 16,707/1,946 sq. miles = 8.59 permits/mile

Hillsborough (Tampa): 12,127/1,051 sq. miles = 11.54 permits/mile

Orange (Orlando): 11,119/907 sq. miles = 12.26 permits/mile

Duval (Jacksonville): 9,931/774 sq. miles = 12.83 permits/mile

Polk (Lakeland): 8,114/1,874 sq. miles = 4.33 permits/mile

Sarasota (Sarasota): 5,701/572 sq. miles = 9.96 permits/mile

From the census link:

Heres the number of units year to date in structures with 5 or more units which would be condos and other more dense developments.

Atlanta 7752

Cape Coral/Fort Myers 3658

Charlotte 1681

Jacksonville 4748

Miami 13244

Nashville 2260

Orlando 5556

Tampa 4532

Btw I think Miami #s do include West Palm Beach because its not listed seperately.

Here's how the multi-family units breakdown for each metro's core counties

Fulton (Atlanta): 4,462

Dekalb (Atlanta): 2,077

Lee (Fort Myers): 3,658

Mecklenburg (Charlotte): 1,425

Duval (Jacksonville): 4,116

Miami-Dade (Miami): 9,285

Davidson (Nashville): 981

Orange (Orlando): 3,713

Hillsborough (Tampa): 2,611

Wake (Raleigh): 244

Those Lee County numbers are amazing. It is hard to believe little Lee Co., FL is growing so rapidly.

I find it funny that in face of data shown, the voting continues along the same lines. I wish some of the other voters can offer up why they are voting the way that they are. Tampa, Jacksonville and Orlando have not moved since we produced permits and then translated the data to permits per square miles. How funny.

Many people dont vote honestly apparently. For the record, I did not vote for Jacksonville.

For the record, I voted for "Other", in respect for Fort Myers. Lee County's largest city, Cape Coral, is also the country's 7th fastest growing city. Between 2000 and 2004, its population grew from 102,000 to 127,000. The funny thing is, its the third fastest growing in the State, behind Miramar (72,739 up to 101,486) and Port St. Lucie (88,774 up to 118,396).

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities...-EST2004-03.xls

Here's how the multi-family units breakdown for each metro's core counties

Fulton (Atlanta): 4,462

Dekalb (Atlanta): 2,077

Lee (Fort Myers): 3,658

Mecklenburg (Charlotte): 1,425

Duval (Jacksonville): 4,116

Miami-Dade (Miami): 9,285

Davidson (Nashville): 981

Orange (Orlando): 3,713

Hillsborough (Tampa): 2,611

Wake (Raleigh): 244

I think what is really telling is what % of the total building permits are for multi-family....I think that Mecklenburg is right at 20%.....I have a feeling most of the other except for Davidson and Wake are higher than that.

I'll just throw this out there to keep the pot boiling.

There have been 7,001 permits in Mecklenburg Co. (the core county of the Charlotte MSA) and the land area is 526 sq. mi., for a permit density of 13.3 through August.

Ohhhhhhhhhh okay, so if we are doing units then Fulton County (Atlanta) had 10477 units and a land area of 529 sq miles, for a unit (permits) density of 19.80 through August. I could go further and say that Atlanta proper had 5506 units (permits) and a land area of 131.8 sq miles, for a unit (permits) density of 41.77 through August. But since some locales are consolidated with their counties, it wouldn't be fair to throw out such numbers since we can't do it for all cities.

Davidson County (Nashville) had 3655 units and a land area of 526 sq miles, for a unit (permit) density of 6.95 through August.

Per thelakelander.....

Some of Florida's core counties: (permits from Jan. to Aug.)

Lee (Fort Myers): 19,558 permits/804 sq. miles = 24.33 permits/mile

Miami-Dade (Miami): 16,707/1,946 sq. miles = 8.59 permits/mile

Hillsborough (Tampa): 12,127/1,051 sq. miles = 11.54 permits/mile

Orange (Orlando): 11,119/907 sq. miles = 12.26 permits/mile

Duval (Jacksonville): 9,931/774 sq. miles = 12.83 permits/mile

Polk (Lakeland): 8,114/1,874 sq. miles = 4.33 permits/mile

Sarasota (Sarasota): 5,701/572 sq. miles = 9.96 permits/mile

BTW, Lee County has Naples Florida..........veryyyyyyyy sexy place. It truly lives up to it's name. I'm just not a fan of the Gulf Coast side of Florida....as silly as that may sound.

But even in light of this information the voting will continue on it's present course, hahahahahaha, so I guess I was doing this little exercise more for my own general knowledge than to prove a point. Why am I being such a numbers cruncher. Okay guys, carry on......

I think this poll has proven beyond doubt that homeboyism and ignorance are stronger than knowledge and humility.

Respect goes to those that researched the facts, studied them and carefully weighed in after knowledge was presented instead of voting based on bias and pride.

Nashville having just 2 votes shy of Atlanta and 2 over Orlando really speaks volumes especially once facts were displayed showing Nashville (though developing just fine in its own right) is one of the weaker areas of development on this list.

Charlotte was the no brainer for vote gaining simply because they are of the largest aggregate of posters here and their pride is intoxicatingly strong.

Per thelakelander.....

BTW, Lee County has Naples Florida..........veryyyyyyyy sexy place. It truly lives up to it's name. I'm just not a fan of the Gulf Coast side of Florida....as silly as that may sound.

Naples is actually in Collier County, which is just south of Lee, who's main city if Fort Myers, although Cape Coral, which really acts as a suburb is 3 times larger. Both urban areas are rapidly growing and I expect they'll soon merge to form a metro with almost 1 million residents.

Orlando

Existing buildings are indicated by gray, under construction by orange, and proposed by teal. All models were created from scratch since Google does not yet have a model of Downtown Orlando, so many low-rises are missing from these images. Visit this Urban Planet thread for renderings and more information about these projects.

16bj_1_.jpeg

200tc_1_.jpeg

215qj_1_.jpeg

constructionmap73wv_1_.jpeg

LEGEND

Blue - Recently Developed

Orange - Under Construction

Teal - Proposed

1. City View Apartments

2. Hughes Square

3. Eola South

4. OUC North Central Energy Building

5. Lynx Central Station

6. CNL II

7. Osceola Brownstones

8. The Jackson

9. The Sanctuary

10. Premiere Trade Plaza & Solaire

11. The Vue

12. The Cornerstone

13. US Federal Courthouse

14. FAMU College of Law

15. Orlando City Place

16. Performing Arts Center

17. Star Tower

18. The Paramount

19. Tradition Towers

20. 55 West

21. Dynetech

22. Jefferson Street Garage

23. Washington Residential Tower

24. 217 N. Eola

25. Ridgley Manor

26. Pizzuti Redevelopment

27. Orange Court

28. The M (Magnolia Lofts)

29. North Orange

30. 801 N. Orange

31. The Ivanhoe

32. Orlando Palace

33. 205 S. Eola Dr.

34. Capital Plaza III

35. Monarch

36. Church/Eola Residential

37. 305 S. Eola Dr.

38. The Corinthian

Orlando City Place (which will consist of a handful of towers) will feature a new tallest for Orlando. Currently the tallest is the SunTrust Building at 441-feet and there are only three buildings downtown over 400-feet. Currently there are at least 10 buildings either proposed or under construction with known heights that will be over 400-feet, with two at 440-feet-- just 1 foot shy of Orlando's tallest.

How tall is Orlando City Place?

It remains to be seen, although the developer has said at least one of the buildings would be Orlando's tallest. This preliminary massing model seems to back up that claim:

CityPlaceII_1_.jpeg

This is a multi-phase project, with the first phase already underway.

The first phase is the renovation of an existing 14-story hotel into a 276-unit condo-hotel. Subsequent phases will include over 1,400 residential units, 70,000-square feet of retail, and 100,000-square feet of office. The small 5-story building in the center of the rendering will include a spa.

Half of local employers plan to add workers in 4Q.

"Jacksonville employers are expected to go on a hiring spree in the fourth quarter, making Jacksonville one of the strongest labor markets in the country, according to Manpower Inc."

The rest of the article can be read here:

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso...03/daily32.html

To sum up, Manpower Inc sent out a survey to an unknown number of local companies with 47% confirming they will hire in the next 3 months while none had plans for any terminations.

This compares with the national level very favorably as 29% expect to add while 8% are planning for terminations.

Granted the Christmas holidays always raise the level of hiring but it's the local vs national comparison and lack of any planned reductions that truly speaks volumes.

That's an amazing post, BIC. You get a better idea of a project's impact when seen in 3-D. There's definitely a significant boom on construction going on in Orlando. Frankly, I think the rest of the South is taking a backseat to several Florida cities right now in terms of development. Truly a real estate boom in going on in the Sunshine state!

Archived