The Cathedral of Mexico City

italimex

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics -- I have not been to Mexico DF since 1990 -- I seem to remember that many large buildings were having problems sinking into the earth very slowly -- do you know about this?

Also I hear that there is a growing community of rich-hipster-trustafarian-ex-pat kids moving to the DF from LA and opening shops, bars and clubs... have you seen evidence of this?

thanks!

Great pics -- I have not been to Mexico DF since 1990 -- I seem to remember that many large buildings were having problems sinking into the earth very slowly -- do you know about this?

Also I hear that there is a growing community of rich-hipster-trustafarian-ex-pat kids moving to the DF from LA and opening shops, bars and clubs... have you seen evidence of this?

thanks!

As you probably know, most of Mexico City downtown was built by spaniards over the ruins of the antique Aztec city of Tenochtitlan, which was built over an artificial island on the Lake of Texcoco. All this facts plus the heavy weight of the structures have caused that many buildings sink every year about some centimeters.

Mexico City Cathedral is a very important historical building and it has been repaired using modern techniques like the use of thousands of micro piles and reinforcing structures that have almost stoped its sinking.

catedral_metropolitana_2.jpg

about your second question, I have not idea about that, but you should visit again The grat Mexico City, It has changed a lot (for good side) since 1990, believe me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hate to see this structure because I get mad that the Spaniards couldn't see what it was that they had. The city that was there and exsisting was amazing and the last thing this world needed was another church. I still think that the people of Mexico today should tear it down and use the stone to build a new pyrimid.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm interested in Mith's question, Mexico City being so large is the Cathedral in the heart of the "old town" section? Also where are they building all the skyscrapers since the sinking (I am sure they have ways around that even if they build them on the ancient lake bed).

Very lovely cathedral, but the largest in NA? Interesting.

Archived