Spartanburg's peer cities

krazeeboi

What do you guys consider to be some of Spartanburg's peer cities in the South? I'm not really aware of any city that has a synergistic relationship with a neighboring city about twice its size, both of them constituting a significant center of regional activity. I guess the closest I can think of is High Point, NC, which is a recognizable city in its metropolitan area, although substantially less so than Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fort Worth. Durham.

Greensoboro and Winston Salem are pretty similar in size. High Point is not an accurate comparison to me.

Well, when I speak of "peer cities," I mean cities pretty much similar in size to Spartanburg. I'm using UAs for comparison purposes. In 2000 (which is when the latest UA figures were released), Spartanburg had a UA population of ~145,000. High Point's was ~134,000 and Durham's ~288,000. Forth Worth's UA is combined with that of Dallas and Arlington (4 million+), so in my book, that's no comparison. Also, Greensboro's was ~268,000 and Winston-Salem's ~300,000. I think Murfreesboro, TN makes for a good peer city (UA = ~136,000) as well as Macon, GA (~135,000 and Hickory, NC (~188,000). I would also say Gastonia, but it's pretty much overshadowed by Charlotte which prevents it from having any type of regional influence like Spartanburg.

i'm sure that many of you will probably disagree with me, but growing up in Spartanburg I always thought of Greenville as being a peer city. In recent years that's changed with their downtown revitalization but I never perceived it as being that much bigger or that much different.

i'm sure that many of you will probably disagree with me, but growing up in Spartanburg I always thought of Greenville as being a peer city. In recent years that's changed with their downtown revitalization but I never perceived it as being that much bigger or that much different.

I agree with this to a point. My only issue with it is that the numberes show Greenville to be right about twice the size of Spartanburg.

Spartanburg is nothing like Gastonia. I have spent a fair amount of time in that city (unfortunately) so I can say that with 1st hand knowledge.

By peer I assumed you meant cities with similar characteristics such as Durham and Fort Worth (being the "second city" in the larger metro area). If you only go by size, then in certainly opens up the field to many more cities, but you have to consider the city's position in the region as well, which is exactly why Gastonia is not relevant.

One thing I like about Spartanburg is that it is unique on many levels, so it is very hard to compare it to some other place.

Technically, it's not that much of a difference. Greenville is roughly twice as large as Spartanburg, but given that Greenville is essentially a ~300,000-resident city (or at least it was in 2000), that doesn't amount to a huge gap. However, at least in SC, I think we recognize Greenville as being in a slightly higher tier than Spartanburg.

Spartanburg is nothing like Gastonia. I have spent a fair amount of time in that city (unfortunately) so I can say that with 1st hand knowledge.

You are absolutely right about this. In size, it may be a "peer city," but that's about it. As I stated, its proximity to Charlotte will prevent it from ever exerting as much of a regional influence as Spartanburg does.

By peer I assumed you meant cities with similar characteristics such as Durham and Fort Worth (being the "second city" in the larger metro area). If you only go by size, then in certainly opens up the field to many more cities, but you have to consider the city's position in the region as well, which is exactly why Gastonia is not relevant.
Well, the term is certainly open to interpretation. Like I stated in my first post, I'm not really aware of any city that has a synergistic relationship with a neighboring city about twice its size, both of them collectively constituting a significant center of regional activity. I think that in both categories (size and influence/significance), Hickory NC may be a good comparison, although not the best.

One thing I like about Spartanburg is that it is unique on many levels, so it is very hard to compare it to some other place.

You're right. And the thing is that it is theoretically possible that Spartanburg could catch up to, and even surpass, Greenville. Highly unlikely, but at this point, possible.

You are absolutely right about this. In size, it may be a "peer city," but that's about it. As I stated, its proximity to Charlotte will prevent it from ever exerting as much of a regional influence as Spartanburg does.

Well, the term is certainly open to interpretation. Like I stated in my first post, I'm not really aware of any city that has a synergistic relationship with a neighboring city about twice its size, both of them collectively constituting a significant center of regional activity. I think that in both categories (size and influence/significance), Hickory NC may be a good comparison, although not the best.

You're right. And the thing is that it is theoretically possible that Spartanburg could catch up to, and even surpass, Greenville. Highly unlikely, but at this point, possible.

Indeed anything is possible. And lets not forget that it wasn't that long ago that Spartanburg was the larger city. Things can change :)

What about Jackson, TN? Its nearby city is much larger (Memphis) and I have absolutely no idea about the actual population of Jackson, but driving through on I-40 it feels about the same as Spartanburg.

I lived in Jackson, Tennessee and Jackson is much smaller than Spartanburg. Most of Jackson's development is out near I-40 so it appears to be much larger than it actually is. That said, Jackson is a nice community with many nice people.

Memphis is 80 miles from Jackson and there is no synergy between them.

Greenville is not completely dominant in the GSP area, which is why these places do not apply. Greensboro and Winston-Salem might be a better comparison, if only becuase they share things in a regional sense, much like Greenville and Spartanburg, and Greensboro has the reputation as the larger city (regardless of whether its justified).

What about Jackson, TN? Its nearby city is much larger (Memphis) and I have absolutely no idea about the actual population of Jackson, but driving through on I-40 it feels about the same as Spartanburg.

Jackson, TN

City Proper 59,643

MSA 110,170

Its West TN boomtown and has alot going for it in regards to economic development and population growth, but its not as big or in the same category as Spartanburg.

Murfreesboro though would be closer to being a peer city and a fairly good match for Spartanburg, at least as far as TN cities go.

I lived in Jackson, Tennessee and Jackson is much smaller than Spartanburg. Most of Jackson's development is out near I-40 so it appears to be much larger than it actually is. That said, Jackson is a nice community with many nice people.

Memphis is 80 miles from Jackson and there is no synergy between them.

I agree.

The growth in Jackson though is starting to get a moving on past I-40 now and rapidly heading up US 45 towards Humboldt. Over in the I-40 areas things are really get built up and some density is developing, its sprawly density, but still its being filled in.

Its also true there is little synergy between Memphis and Jackson, as Jackson serves as the defacto capital and commercial hub of rural West Tennessee, while Memphis serves the role of the region's big city and offers to West Tennessee mainly what Jackson can't.

What kind of role does Spartanburg play in its sub-region of South Carolina?

Spartanburg has a city population of 39,000 or so, but if you take into account SC's annexation laws and use the urban area classificaiton (which is more accurate when comparing cities) you get a UA population of about 145,000. Spartanburg's MSA is 250,000 or so.

I'm not so sure that Jackson TN would have it.

• 4 weeks later...

I consider a peer city as one having about the same amount of dynamics. Similar size, amenities and to an extent influence. Off the top of my head I can't think of a good match. I understand the UA argument but how much of that is contributing to the dynamics of the city. It is cool to have a lot of people living outside of you city limits but does that overall number have a direct impact on the city. Or does Spartanburg feel like and acts like a city of 39,000 with more people out of the limits.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived