K-12 Education in South Carolina

krazeeboi

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which "large part of society" are you saying doesn't value education, but did at one point in time?

Everyone in the USA including SC is required to stay in public school or equivalent until the age of 16. At that point they can drop out. I recommend that you look at the drop out rates of this bunch over the last few decades. It's gotten a lot higher. It is depressing at how high it has gotten. Young people have decided in large numbers that having an eduction doesn't matter anymore. For some reason they when don't realize they are pretty much dooming themselves to the lowest part of society for the rest of their lives.

So what does all of this have to do with altering that section of the SC Constitution? I still don't see any reason not to do it. Will it actually change anything? No. But its a worthy symbolic gesture. Of course, I am a proponent of completely overhauling the constitution. We are currently working off of a post-Reconstruction constitution.

I simply think the U.S. in general doesn't really value education anymore. Look at how Ivy League education is often used as a jab against people, particularly politicians. They have to "dumb it down" to appeal to the masses.

That's what I'm getting at. More and more people don't value education, and the truly hard-core people are dropping out. It is a trend I expect to continue, sadly.

We've even been reduced to sound bites to discuss complicated issues. It is insane.

Spartan, I don't like symbolic gestures. They accomplish nothing, except make people feel good.

And I'm not sure a system overhaul of education would work either. Parents need to get children to value an education and what it can do for them. That's a societal change that I don't think the government can do a thing about.

• 2 months later...

Greenville County Schools is being recommended for national accreditation. The AdvancED Accreditation Commission will vote in December. It could possibly join only 14 districts across the state and about 500 nationally that have received the honor. The article reports that the size of the district provided many more challenges than a smaller district. All in all, though, I believe this is a great testament to Dr. Fisher's leadership as superintendent, in charge of almost 70,000 students.

Link

Greenville County Schools

Thats great news. I had never heard of this accreditation, and I presume that since its a national organization that its a good thing. Its good to know that several SC districts have this too. Does anyone know what they are?

The article only lists the upstate ones, which are currently: Abbeville, Anderson 5, & Spartanburg 1,2,5. Pickens County is in the process for this, and Anderson 1 is going to start their process for this in the spring.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting that, Skyliner. I think that this speaks well for our state. We have made tremendous strides to improve education in our state, and this is further evidence of that progress. Granted it would be nice to have an "A" across the board.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The replacement for the PACT- the Palmetto Assessment of State Standards, is showing the same results, except the new one provides more detail as to what subject areas students are lacking in, and where schools can focus their efforts. Overall it seems like a good thing to me. South Carolina continues to set high bars for students.... it's just a shame that teachers are not compensated better for the work they do.

The State

• 11 months later...

Greenville County Schools' leader, Dr. Phinnize Fisher, is one of four finalists for National Superintendent of the Year. Running of the largest school districts in the nation, Dr. Fisher is in her 6th year at the top and manages more than 69,000 students. This would be a nice recognition to bring home to South Carolina!

You can read more about Dr. Fisher and her work here.

Archived