Atlanta Sports Talk

ironchapman

With the many good things happening to Atlanta and its teams, I'm sure there must be something you guys have to say about it.

Got an opinion about our team? Got a prediction for a season/upcoming game? Got a news tidbit you wish to share? Got something to say about sports in and around the metro?

If so, post them here.

I figure I'll start by posting what has become obvious by now. The Sugar Bowl is headed to Atlanta because Baton Rouge is unable to accomodate it, and we all know why New Orleans cannot host it. I'm certainly happy it's headed here, but then again it gives me a bittersweet feeling when I think of why it's coming here.

What I am really interested in is how the Dome will handle so many big games over a couple days (Peach Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and a Falcons game).

If you are reading this anytime within the next couple of days that I post this, do a google news search "atlanta" or "peachtree street" (and probably several other general search items realated to Atlanta) and see how many "Suugar Bowl Headed to Atlanta" artciles and news reports come up.

Here's an article from the SC newspaper "The State"

Let's also not forget our Braves in their fight against the Astros and our Falcons as they continue to have a great season.

EDIT: Just for the record, some UGA news is welcome here too, if you have any.

Edited by ironchapman

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Falcons are going to win the NFC South, and could very well be representing the NFC in the Super Bowl. That is, if Michael Vick stays healthy.

About the Sugar Bowl, according to officials "Atlanta will host it for one year only" and "it is vital to get the Superdome ready by 2008", which is when New Orleans will be hosting the National Championship game.

You shouldnt feel bittersweet about the Sugar Bowl being in Atlanta IC, no one could have stopped Katrina from hitting New Orleans, and besides, the attention in N.O. should be set on getting New Orleans back to its original glory, not on a football game.

Edited by NCB

Tonight is game 3 between Atlanta and Houston. Let's go Bravesssssssssss!!!!!!! Wooooooo Hooooooo! Sorry Astros but I want the Braves to advance. The pressure is killing me so I can't actually watch the game but I will keep my fingers crossed.

You seem to be quite the Braves fan, Lady Celeste!

The Braves are my 2nd favorite team in the MLB, the 1st just happens to be the Astros :whistling:..

*reading NCB's post*

*crickets chirping*

Just kidding. Well hey, at least you keep up with our team. I do like the Braves. I am not a big sports girl but I try to support the home teams.......as well as the Pittsburgh Steelers but this is for another reason and another story for another day. Anyway, every year I try to support the Braves....even when their post season performances vex me greatly. I am the forever "hoper"......I will hope the best even when I see the ship is sinking.

Anyway, every year I try to support the Braves....even when their post season performances vex me greatly. I am the forever "hoper"......I will hope the best even when I see the ship is sinking.

Ah, so you're like most Atlantans in that respect. :P

I wonder how far they will go?

Edited by ironchapman

Ah, so you're like most Atlantans in that respect. :P

I wonder how far they will go?

Noooo, I would find myself opposite of most Atlantans. I support them even when they lose. If I was not big as a house right now, I would be in Houston cheering them on. For me to see psot season games not sold out is baffling. Then again, I'm also baffled that many Atlantans don't really support the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (which is world renowned), the various very good museums we have here....i.e., The High or Michael C. Carlos Museum or the Atlanta Opera......but that's a whole different topic.

Let's go Bravesssssssssssssssssssss woooooooo hooooooooo! We can pull this out.....................let's gooooooooo, bring on the bats!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Today on CBS the Falcons are playing the Patriots (God have mercy on our souls) and the Braves are playing the Astros in and this one is the clencher. If the Astros win we're out! Come on BRAAAAVES!!! Oh yeah, GOOOOOOO FALCONS!!

Well, Today on CBS the Falcons are playing the Patriots (God have mercy on our souls) and the Braves are playing the Astros in and this one is the clencher. If the Astros win we're out! Come on BRAAAAVES!!! Oh yeah, GOOOOOOO FALCONS!!

Both the Falcons (31-28 to New England) and Braves (7-6 to Houston) lost today.

They both could have won. The games were both very close in the end. The Braves are out of the playoffs (again :( )

I'm guessing we must have given the Patriots a good scare in the fourth quarter of the Falcons game, though. :P

Well, the Falcons beat the Saints, in an extremely hard-fought game by both teams. I must say though, the penalty call at the end of the game was a very bad one, it had nothing to do with the play whatsoever, and it cost the Saint the game.<_< Still, I must say congrats to the Falcons.

Edited by NCB

I heard Leo Mazzone is leaving for Baltimore. That is not good news. The Braves will certainly miss him. :(

The question that remains to be answered is how the Braves (not necessarily just the pitching staff) will fare next season, but also as to how Baltimore's pitching staff will improve and how it will affect the team's overall performance next season.

Any thoughts?

I myself am personally not too happy with this decision. :angry:

This weeks Sports Illustrated has an NBA preview and it says the Hawks will finish 13 out of 15 teams in the eastern conference. What do you guys think about that?

It lists it's starters being, at center Zaza Pachulia, small forward Josh Smith, power forward Al Harrington, poing guard Joe Johnson and shooting guard Josh Childress. For key players it also lists, Tyronn Lue, rookie Marvin Williams, rookie Salim Stoudamire, Tom Gugliotta, and Tony Delk.