Atlanta Sports Talk

ironchapman

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goooooooooooooooooo Georgia Bulldawgs. Red and Black all the wayyyyyyyyyy. Woooooooooo Hooooooo.

While the game seemed to go on and on, I was glad to see my school win in the end. My daughter was a little sad. She wanted Georgia Tech to win. Go figure. Just when I think she wants to attend GA Tech.....she reveals because she thinks Reggie Ball is cute. Children, they grow up so fast.....and I'm sure her father, had he heard her, would not be amused.

Goooooooooooooooooo Georgia Bulldawgs. Red and Black all the wayyyyyyyyyy. Woooooooooo Hooooooo.

While the game seemed to go on and on, I was glad to see my school win in the end. My daughter was a little sad. She wanted Georgia Tech to win. Go figure. Just when I think she wants to attend GA Tech.....she reveals because she thinks Reggie Ball is cute. Children, they grow up so fast.....and I'm sure her father, had he heard her, would not be amused.

Hey everyone!

Right now, I'm staying at a friend's house in Decatur,GA.

I was able to check out Atlanta's CBD today, and everything looks great. The new Peachtree tower in Midtown looks spectacular, it looks much better in person, IMO. I'll post more on this later..

But to get back on topic, the big game is tommorow, and I cant wait!

This will be my first time inside the Georgia Dome, but it looks great from what I saw today.

Edited by NCB

Who let the Dawgs out!!!!!

:yahoo::alc::yahoo:

tt-uga_tn.jpg

uga_logo.gif

The Bulldogs beat LSU and the odds at the SEC Championship tonight with a score of 34 to 14.

I think it was the loss of JaMarcus Russell that sealed LSU's fate in the game. However, the Bulldogs had a strong lead even before he was taken out.

To be honest, I feel that Georgia was cheated out of it's high ranking because it was obviously a higher quality team than its #13 ranking suggests, and this is not going by our performance tonight (or at leats tonight alone). We lost only two of the games this season. One was to Florida, which I expected seeing as we have lost to them several years in a row. The other is Auburn, which I consider the only real oss of the season because we have fared better against them in past years than we have with Florida. It was also our only conference loss.

That said, UGA will not be in the national championship. I'm thinking it will be Texas (#2) and SoCal (#1) with a Texas win. BTW: Texas beat Colorado tonight in it's region championship with a score of 70-3. Texas has scored more than forty points in the last ten games it has played. SoCal, IMO, is riding at number one more on reputation because of last year's title and it's winning streak. That said, 34-0 for SoCal and Texas' 40+ points in the last 10 games are enough to cancel each other out. Take away the reputation given by last year's record, though, and I think Texas would be #1.

Tonight must have been a pretty big bash in Athens...I bet they liked the game, too! ;)

Edited by ironchapman

Congrats to UGA!

That was a horrible performance by LSU, but UGA played very well, and capalized on all of LSU's mistakes. But I must say, the coaching and playcalling on the LSU side was absolutely horrible. We were in no way ready for Georgia.

Congrats again guys, and enjoy the Sugar Bowl!

Of course, the Falcons were pounded yesterday 24-6 by the Panthers.

But what I'd really like to ask is if there is a potential for a rivalry between the two. If so, will it become a big one? It might be nice to see. Also, it might be a good way to get some steadfast devotion to an Atlanta team instead of just being fair-weather fans.

it seems to me that the majority of sportscasters already view Carolina/Atlanta as a pretty big rivalry. the way they talk about each of their upcoming games against each other as if they are among the top games of the season. all last week sportcenter alone was hyping up sundays game. i guarantee you that the last game of the season, in Atlanta, will be extremely boosted as well. the fact is that these are two good teams, both are in the same division, both have great chance of appearing in the superbowl(falcons just missed it last year, but now with the eagles playing the way they are...) They really have no choice but to become heated rivals.

The Braves have just gotten Boston's skilled shortstop Edgar Renteria. This is great news for the Bravesm after their recent losses!

See Article (AJC)

I'd also like to take this time and ask if the proper section for the Hawks' scores is the Obituaries and not the Sports section. :P

The Braves have just gotten Boston's skilled shortstop Edgar Renteria. This is great news for the Bravesm after their recent losses!

Renteria is a good acquisition. However, the loss of Furcal will be huge, especially in the Braves future. He is such a great, young player who will only continue to improve. Maybe we can eventually get him back.

Hey, I know exactly what you mean. I'm a Saints fan. :lol:

Go Bucs!!! Even though the Falcons are my #2 team...

Edited by Go Gators

^Yea it was an entertaining game in the first half. In the second half, I think the Saints forgot about that other major part of football, you know....offense. ;)

But Will Smith played very well. This kid could be one hell of a defensice end in the coming years.

Michael Vick won "The Battle of the Cousins" again.

Congrats to the Falcons!

I hope they are able to get a wildcard berth in the playoff's.

Edited by NCB

^Yeah, it was a good game. :)

Anyways, according to something I just read, the Braves, and Turner South, may be up for sale again. Arthur Blank may be one of the interested buyers.

See Article (AJC)

This is great news. I'm sick and tired of the Braves beiong ran like a business that has stockholders and fatcats calling the shots. Hopefully this will bring us back to the days of Ted Turner where it was win first, make money second. Hopefully we want get bought by a group like Atlanta Spirit (Idiots!, "Napolean Dynamite).

So, how do you guys think the Falcons will fare against Chicago?

Chicago's got an excellent defense, but a weak offense (as seen in their game vs. Pittsburgh where the Steelers got 190 yards on them). We have to capitalize on their lack of a good offense if we want to win.

It'll either be a hard fought battle either way (probably).

And now for the Atlanta team that always flies under the radar here: the Thrashers

The Thrashers came back from a 0-1 lead by Florida tonight. They scored twice in the last 17 seconds of the game for a win of 2-1 Atlanta! :yahoo:

Here's a Seattle PI Article on it

Edited by ironchapman

Looks like the Falcons dropped the ball today. This loss was major. Hopefully they can get some help from some of the other NFC teams losing. REX Grossman coming into the game caught Atlanta totally off guard.

Indeed.

To be honest, thoug, I had my doubts about Atlanta winning this one from the start because the Bears defense is incredible, even if their offense is almost nonexistant. Bears Maul Falcons (AJC Article)

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Edited by ironchapman

This year certainly has been something of a surprise. When the Falcons entered this seaqson, we were thought to be one of the biggest Super Bowl Contenders in the league. Now, we are still (probably vainly) fighting for an almost nonexistant chance to make the playoffs.

Anyways, enough of the cynicism. :)

Any thoughts about how the Falcons will fare against Tampa Bay? It will be a difficult game, if the last game we played against them is anything to go by. Of course, Tampa Bay has just about as slim of a chance of making the playoffs as the Falcons here. It certainly will be an important game for both sides.

Here's a bit more on the situation

Edited by ironchapman