Atlanta Sports Talk

ironchapman

Any thoughts as to how the Braves will do this year? I've noticed what appears to be a lot of good or relatively good players asinging with them while perusing Google's news search for Atlanta headlines. They've also traded off a few good ones to other cities in the process. The rookies of last year (like Francoeur! :yahoo:) have also had a chance to mature some.

The Braves should be in decent shape this year. Im still upset Furcal left, he really was a great fit for this team. It will be interesting to see which Edgar Renteria shows up this season. He could be a great addition, or dead weight.

Im glad we resigned Jorge Sosa. He got us 13 wins this year, thats pretty solid. The Braves need to place particular emphasis on pitching. We have the offenseive firepower between the Vets and the rookies (I saved the NLDS Game 2 on my TiVo, where McCann hit the bomb of Clemens just to get me through the offseason!) Smoltz should be solid again this season, I have no doubt.

Again though, we have some amazing rookies, albeit their not rookies anymore technically. Im excited. Im lined up for 6 Spring Training games already this spring (4 @ Disney, 2 on the road), and should be in the ATL for the season opener...anyone else coming to Florida for some games?

Im getting excited now...I think ill go watch a little bit of that tivo'd game...

Edited by Go Gators

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 Best Execs (FOXSports.com)

The best executives are those that put their teams into position to win year after year after year. The players still have to play and the coaches still have to coach. (For the sake of this ranking, we excluded general managers that also coach. That is a separate category.)

Here's how they rank them. I have taken the liberty of summing it up without the extensive stories included with them:

1. John Schuerholz, executive vice president and general manager, Atlanta Braves

7. Rich McKay, president and general manager, Atlanta Falcons

-----------------------

For me, it seems fairly accurate. John Schuerholz certainly deserves his spot if you ask me. Building and leading a team like he has isn't an easy task.

In defense of McKay, allow me to offer my unprofessional opinion:

He's probably up there because he not only whipped the Buccaneers into shape, but he also has been able to turn the Falcons into a winning franchise. Even after the dismal performance this year, they still remain a threat, even if it isn't quite as big of one as it was when they entered the 2005-06 season. The biggest mistake he has made is not firing Knapp.....but who knows? Perhaps he has a plan for him or something.

Might I also add that Atlanta is the only city with two execs on the best execs list and that no manager from Atlanta made the Worst Execs List.

Edited by ironchapman

I know how this site feels about teenagers, but I'd just like to say that my high school, Chapel Hill High School in Douglas County, finished off it's season today with a 23-2 (W-L) record. I believe this places us at either #1 or #2 in the state for AAAA Varsity Boys Basketball.

:yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on Blank backing down with talks on buying the Braves? (Who is excited about Spring Training?)

@ Blank backing down on talks with the Braves:

It seems unfortunate that he won't buy them. I just hope that someone will buy them.

I certainly am looking forward to Spring Training (baseball is my favorite pro sport). I'd like to see what becomes of our search for a closer.

@ Blank backing down on talks with the Braves:

It seems unfortunate that he won't buy them. I just hope that someone will buy them.

I certainly am looking forward to Spring Training (baseball is my favorite pro sport). I'd like to see what becomes of our search for a closer.

Im sure we could get Rocker back at a pretty decent price! haha

Whats the deal with TBS not showing as many Braves games anymore? We dont get Turner South in Florida (have to have special packages), and its quite annoying!

Well, a few spring traning updates/questions...

First, in the World Baseball Classic, it looks like we will get to see *most likely and hopefully* a once in lifetime matchup. Smoltz is slated to start for the Braves against the Netherlands...that means he will face fellow teammate Andruw Jones. Bobby Cox was asked if they would pitch around Jones, and he said "with Smoltzie, you know damn well were going after him."

My question for you all is in regards to Jorge Sosa. He is representing the Dominican Republic (which will prob. win this thing). There have been concerns that he will not get the work he needs with them (D.R.) to be ready for the start of the season. Do yall think this will affect his ability to go deep into games? Sosa is going to play an important role in the starting rotation this year. We need to get at least 13-15 wins out of him. What do you think?

^^^Tell me about it. I moved from Atlanta to Chicago and I hardly ever get to see the Braves. TBS now shows old sindicated comedies (Friends, Sex and The City etc...) instead of the Braves. I wish Turner South was shown nationally.

And for atlmangum, and all other Braves fans, some spring training games are going to be on ESPN. They are

March 3

vs. LA Dodgers (Kissimmee, FL)

1:05 - ESPN

March 20

@ St. Louis Cardinals (Jupiter, FL)

March 22

vs. Philidelphia Phillies (Kissimmee, FL)

Edited by Go Gators

Just figured I'd post this for all you fans of Francoeur out there:

Francoeur may land in WBC spotlight

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - In less than a year, Jeff Francoeur has gone from having 335 at-bats at Double-A Mississippi to being a possible starting outfielder for the United States in the World Baseball Classic.

Just figured I'd post this for all you fans of Francoeur out there:

Francoeur may land in WBC spotlight

I think Atlanta has a real treasure with Francoeur. I hope he's with us for many years to come (he could really be something if he holds up, and I think he will).

Your right, Francoeur is amazing. I just hope that Saltalamacchia doesnt get "jealous" of McCann per se, and want to get traded. I know theyve been working him a little at first base. He needs to stay in Atlanta one way or the other, along with the rest of the "baby braves."

Just booked a weekend in yall's great city for the Braves/Padres series...definitely looking forward to that.

Your right, Francoeur is amazing. I just hope that Saltalamacchia doesnt get "jealous" of McCann per se, and want to get traded. I know theyve been working him a little at first base. He needs to stay in Atlanta one way or the other, along with the rest of the "baby braves."

Just booked a weekend in yall's great city for the Braves/Padres series...definitely looking forward to that.

Great to hear you're coming back! :thumbsup:

I have a feeling that, so long as Salty keeps his head on straight, he could go on to greatness with us. I hope this is true. He's certainly got the talent.

-----------------

Also, here's a good piece of news for all you Braves fans out there:

Liberty may get Time Warner assets

Paper says Liberty Media is in talks to trade its Time Warner shares for holdings like the Atlanta Braves.

It seems that one of the big stockholders in Time Warner, Colorado based Liberty Media, might be interested in swapping its stock for some assets of Time Warner...which would include the Braves.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Time Warner and Liberty Media are reportedly in talks that could lead to Liberty swapping its shares in the media conglomerate for some of its operating assets, including the Atlanta Braves baseball team.

The Braves are worth about $382 million by a 2005 estimate from Forbes magazine, a leading tracker of sports franchise values, but baseball teams have recently been selling at a premium to such estimates. The Kansas City Royals, a team with neither the revenue base nor on-field success of the Braves, recently sold for about $270 million, well above Forbes' estimate of $187 million.

I don't think this is such a bad idea. It's good to hear the Braves are so sought after.

Edited by ironchapman

I know it's the preseason, but what the heck:

Braves Beat Mets 11-7

Things could change, I know that, but this is a good sign for now.

Thats definitely good. I always laugh at the people who look at the Braves record in Spring, and say how bad they are or how bad theyll be this year. People dont understand that, especailly at this point in Spring, the starters are playin 3-4 innings max. And if you look at most box scores, youll see most big scoring innings happen around the 5th and after...just a thought.

I figure I'll post this article because of a funny typo I saw in it.

Atlanta Thrashers 4, NY Islanders 2

ATLANTA, March 16 (UPI) -- Marian Hossa had a goal and an assist Thursday night to help the Atlanta Flames beat the New York Islanders, 4-2.

The Flames!?! :rofl:

Anyways, it's great to see the Thrashers back on the right track lately with all of their wins.

NFL commissioner Tagliabue to retire

NEW YORK - Paul Tagliabue is leaving the NFL, and he's leaving it both peaceful and prosperous.

The 65-year-old commissioner will step down in July after 16 years, his tenure marked by labor harmony and unprecedented riches through television deals.

Word has it that Atlanta Falcons GM Rich McKay is one of the top candidtaes to succeed the retiring commissioner.

Also beign considered for the job are the chief operating officer Roger Goodell (considered to be McKay's biggest opponent) and Dick Cass, owner of the Baltimore Ravens.

Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has also expressed interest in the job ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could have seen more of the Braves first regular season game. I hear it was quite entertaining. I did, however, catch the first couple innings on the radio.

Anyways........

MLB: Atlanta 11, LA Dodgers 10

THE BRAVES WON!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Seems like quite the slug contest.

1-0!!!!!!!!!! Thats a great way to start things off. Smoltz is pitching tonight, so they should be 2-0. I was looking at TBS' lineup last night, and it looks like they will be broadcasting a few more games than they did last year!

• 4 weeks later...

t's great to see that we got Jimmy Williams. He'll provide some much needed help in his area.

Jimmy Williams is a grade A thug/punk. I don't know if you watched many of his games, but he certainly has attitude problems. With all that said he is a great football player.

The DJ Shockley pick was pure sympathy IMO. They didnt need another backup qb, they needed some OL.