REI

gs3

There have been all the rumors floating about a Bass Pro Shop for the area. Rumors of it being in Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, etc. Greenville really needs to get an REI! With the amount of outdoor activity bewteen Greenville and Asheville, an REI makes perfect sense! I know some of you on the forum have been active it writing companies for store opening information. I think we should all try to help bring an REI here! :thumbsup:

Below is the link where you can write to them:

http://www.rei.com/shared/help/feedback/servicefb.html

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would somewhere like Anderson get a Bass Pro Shops before Greenville? Isn't Greenville the obvious choice, or does Bass Pro Shops not always choose to be in bigger cities? I am not an outdoorsman, and have never been to Bass Pro Shops, so I don't know much about their business plan. Nonetheless, I would love for us to have one. I know they are a great place for outdoor enthusiasts to shop, and having one would give the area yet another great store.

REI stands for...

Really Expensive I...I....outdoor goods.

In my experience, and for almost every sport that REI deals with, you can get a better deal by buying your stuff at a local, specialty shop than you would buying it at REI.

For the uninformed, what exactly is REI?

Recreational Equipment Incorporated is a co-op based retailer for outdoors stuff. I used to buy a lot of stuff there about 10 years ago, but not lately. They are pretty expensive even when you factor in the 10 % dividend that you get at the end of the year. Still, REI stores are fun to visit. The flagship store in Seattle has a big climbing wall.

REI is really big out West. When I lived in Colorado, there was at least one REI store in every major city in the state. Alot of REI's products are usually in the outdoor recreation categories of things like camping gear, some hunting, and mountain hiking and climbing. They are considered "high-end" in the kind of products they offer.

I could see an REI being built in Greenville with its proximity to the Blue Ridge Mountains. It would open up a huge customer base with it being located near mountain ranges in GA, TN, and NC.

REI is really big out West. When I lived in Colorado, there was at least one REI store in every major city in the state. Alot of REI's products are usually in the outdoor recreation categories of things like camping gear, some hunting, and mountain hiking and climbing. They are considered "high-end" in the kind of products they offer.

I could see an REI being built in Greenville with its proximity to the Blue Ridge Mountains. It would open up a huge customer base with it being located near mountain ranges in GA, TN, and NC.

Seems that way to me too. If not Greenville, then Asheville, but seems like one of the cities would be a prime candidate. When I'm in Seattle on business, I always stop by their flagship right off I-5 near downtown. Such a cool place. Fun to visit even if I can't afford the gear! :D

Sorry I went off about Bass Pro Shops when the thread is about REI. I have been exhausted today and didn't take time to fully read the original post. Oops. :)

My only experience with REI was in Boston. The inside of the store there is sort of rustic, and pleasing, and the store seemed to be a decent size for being a street-level retail store in a Fenway office building. A few acquaintances of mine there who are into hiking, kayaking, etc. loved the store and went there frequently. I don't know how many people in the Greenville metro would be intersted in somewhat high-end merchandise like this, but if the market is there I would love for us to get one to add to the QOL (quality of life).

The REI brand products are actually quite less expensive than their brand name counterparts (North Face, Mountain Hardwear, etc.) and the quality is just as good. We have 2 REI stores (soon to be 3, maybe 4) up here in the Triangle that do really well.

REI is great experience. I have a few fleeces from REI that my mom got me while she was in Seattle. She loves the place.

I would love to see an REI in Greenville, but I'd be afraid that it might compete with Mast General. Mast actually has some good prices on Mountain Hard Wear.

• 1 year later...
I'd be okay with an REI, but there are so many great local shops in the area that provide what REI does at a descent price, I'm not really sure we need them.

Mast General, Appalachian Outfitters, Half Moon Outfitters to name a few that I shop at, and I know there are several more scattered about.

There is an REI at Carolina Place Mall near Charlotte.

Time thus for Haywood to do an outdoor component with some fast-casual restaurants, an REI and a few other stores.

Otherwise, REI should come downtown; that would be great for people who could then cross-shop between REI and Mast.

The closest REI's are Atl and Charlotte and Bass Pro Shops also in these cities. As prev posted there are plenty of locally owned backpacking and outfitting stores (such as my two favorite Appalachian and sunrift) to where I could care less if we get a REI. If I really want something from them I would goto their website or catalog. But on the other hand a Bass Pro Shops would be freakin awesome. Every time I goto Charlotte or visit my brother in Myrtle Beach I have to go to BPS they have a huge selection of everything outdoors and great prices. Their staff is always very helpful and knowledgable so they must do some good training.

Archived