Nashville Murder Rate GROWS.

Lexy

Consistent years where the murder rate went down are now a thing of the past. The murders for this year stand at 76 killed in a violent crime so far. With two1/2 months to go, we are sure to see more. Was it the hot summer or lack of Police patrols/supervision?? Could it possibly Chief Surpass????? You tell me. I am speechless at the numbers. Just a complete outrage for a city that is trying to lure people to the inner city again. What should be down to turn the tide???

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's the police dept. or the inner city. It's those in areas like South Nashville, Bordeaux, and Antioch who tend to settle their dissatifactions with guns and knives.

Arguments that used to be settled with a swift kick in the ass, or good left hook, are now settled with fatal violence. As long as the innocent (or me) don't get in the way, let them have at it.

This is a stat that I have been following for a while among U.S. cities. It seems that Nashville is going through a similar trend that many larger cities in the country are going through. Things like this is what gives the inner city a bad name and drives lots of residents to suburban areas, which is something that has been going on for decades. These crimes in my opinion are the result of more drug use among residents, rich and poor, easier access to weapons, and lack of goals and morals among the criminals. I don't really know what could be done to stop it, but one thing that could help all over this country is tougher sentences for the individuals that are arrested for these crimes. My childhood best friend is currently serving only 20 years for pleading guilty for a murder he committed last year in Birmingham. 20 years for a guilty plea??? He was a close friend of mine, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he took someone's life. I believe that someone convicted for a murder should spend the rest of their life in prison!!!!! Period!!! I have seen worse stats though. Nashville, a government that has approx. 549,000? residents within its limits has the same amount of homicides or murders as the city of Birmingham, AL (76 homicides), which has only approx. 233,000 residents!! Kansas City (447,000 pop.) had 92 murders as of last week!!!! I'm wondering guys does all the homicides in Nashville seems to happen in the same usual areas, or does it tend to be widespread??

Homicides happen in the usual suspect areas more often than not. Of course, there are instances where one would be less likely to see that. Poor, undereducated, socially challenged, heavy weighting along racial lines all come into play. Most of the time it's not a stranger killing a stranger, but an acquaintance, a spouse, a friend, dealer, or whatever. Murder is often a crime of passion and happens often before the killer realizes what's happened. I don't know any answers, I just know where I don't need to be.

I agree with "where am i" when they said that bigger sentences should be given. Another obvious thing that could be done is getting the bad parts of the city patrolled more by cops. In 2003 Nashville had 74 murders, here is the CityRating crime report about it: http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?ci...hville&state=TN

I'm really not sure why people STILL assume that stiff sentences act as a deterrent to crime. I'm not saying that them not being a deterrent is a reason not to increase sentences because I too feel that a someone who takes someone else's life should pay their dues.

Urban Design plays a part in crime rate, psychological and societal stigmas play a part in it, desperation plays a part, poverty plays a part etc. etc.

In my opinion, heavier police presence is like putting a band-aid on a shark bite. It may temporarily put a damper on some crime, but the underlying problems that caused the area to be ridden with crime in the first place are still very much there.

A lot of people associate the violent crime they hear about with a city's downtown area. I know in Memphis and Nashville that their downtown areas tend to be some of the safer areas of town, with most violent crime occuring in well known poverty stricken areas that are usually not places where non-residents would ever find themselves intentionally. It quite interesting how folks view downtown areas and crime, as if they go hand in hand, when anymore thats simply not the case. Downtowns are economic engines, and cities tend to want them to be as safe as possible to lure folks there to do business and engage in other money generating activities (ie various entertainment options).

I think a lot of folks still think downtowns are dangerous due to seeing poor minorities waiting for buses and homeless folks (the occassional being crazy) roaming around panhandling, which they tend to associate with a gunman waiting around the corner to get them. Which could happen no doubt and people need to be careful of where they go and when, but it could just about as likely happen in Hillsboro Village area of Nashville or in the Germantown burb of Memphis. Being safe in a city's downtown is no different than being safe anywhere else, pay attention, use common sense, and don't draw undue attention to yourself (like stumbling around drunk) and you'll usually be fine.

Archived