What is Greenville missing?

NYTransplant

With the talk of REI, Bass Pro Shops and Borders floating around, there are obviously some gaps in what people would like to see in Greenville and what exists.

I've thought that a Gelato shop might do well, but with Marble Slab, Spill the Beans and the new sweet shop coming in, that may not be a good idea anymore.

What is Greenville missing that you would like to see?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More Amusement! Things like Discovery Place in Charlotte. I guess Roper Mountain might be the the same thing, but I have never been there so I really don't know. Would like to see a museum like the state museum or something like i-magination(check spelling) in Columbia. Would also like to see one of the new towers make a look out for the public on the top floor.

A Great Club for seeing live music. Ya we have the Handleabr, but it doens't schedule shows that I want to go see. I am thinking something along the lines of the 40 Watt in Athens or The Tabernacle in Atlanta or Tremont in Charlotte.

Also a good Auditorium for shows that are not big enough for the Bi-Lo center. Ya we have the peace center, but doesn't schedule the kind of events I am refeering. I am thinking something along the lines of the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in Asheville. Something That size, but schedules good music acts. I see the Peace center as more of a theater than an auditorium.

I've always thought that a chocolatier / fudge maker on Main Street would be an instant success!!!

Also - a dinner theatre would be very cool.

A large Bally Total Fitness, etc., would be a welcome addition to Greenville, as well.

And, as moton suggested, a tower-top look-out or restaurant would be very nice, too! :thumbsup:

I really like the dinner theatre idea. Something like that in the West End would be great. I can see Phantom of the Opera over dinner making for a great foundation to a memorable night out.

I would also like to see some dance clubs. If I want to go dance in Greenville, where would I go?

I would also like to see at least one really good modern lounge where people can relax, sip drinks, listen to some techno/house music, and admire the local artwork and unique furniture. Just a nice, chill place that isn't smoke-filled and overly loud. I think Greenville could handle something that cosmopolitan.

Live music would make our city much better. I agree about The Handlebar not being enough. Besides, it's not really within walking distance of where the action is downtown.

Finally, and this is something I have mentioned here before, is that it would be great for museums to stay open later! It seems that they always close at 5:00 pm or something. I know that this is fairly standard for most places, and isn't just in Greenville. Still, why not have some museums open until 10:00 on Friday and/or Saturday nights? Perhaps this wouldn't work as well since Heritage Green is somewhat separated from the action downtown. But if the museums were better connected to downtown, or they were in the West End, it would be fun to have dinner and then go to the museum to admire artwork while enjoying a drink.

As for additional live music venues, I'd love to see the ampitheatre on the Reedy (behind the Peace Center) used much more often to bring some bigger-name acts (those that wouldn't fill the Bi-Lo Center but that would cause chaos at the Handlebar) to town. I can envision this becoming a reality as River Place becomes more complete. I'd like to see this turned into a mini version of the Shoreline Ampitheatre in Mountain View, CA or the Verizon Wireless Ampitheatres (in Charlotte and Nation-Wide). B)

Wow Great stuff!

I thought of something else. I'd like to see a Jazz club, or at least a club that would have different genre's depending on the night. Maybe an open mic night too. Doesn't Coffee Underground have anything like that?

Moton, there is an Imagine Nation on Heritage Green, but I believe its at the same stage as the Upcountry Museum. They have a building, but need more funding to get the exhibits.

RT, with the new Sweet Shop coming in, you may get your wish. :D

I would also like to see at least one really good modern lounge where people can relax, sip drinks, listen to some techno/house music, and admire the local artwork and unique furniture. Just a nice, chill place that isn't smoke-filled and overly loud. I think Greenville could handle something that cosmopolitan.

^Totally agree with Greenville on this. :thumbsup:

Would also love:

Ikea (Since they only open in metros 3 times our size, I know it's just a dream).

A light rail system (Could happen)

Nonstop flights to a couple of West Coast cities.

Downtown to be 100% WiFi (encompass every square inch from North Main to West End)

A Krystal (or White Castle) downtown, open 24 hours, where you go gorge at 4:00 in the morning after leaving the dance club we should have. :D

I agree on the 100% Wi-Fi suggestion, gsupstate. That'd be great! Ideally, I'd love to see the ballpark as one giant Wi-Fi hotspot even if all of downtown can't be covered.

The Port City Java on Mills has an Open Mic Night. There's some fairly good talent there at times - check it out sometime. I do agree that it would be cool to have a place downtown with something like this though. Excellent idea, NYTransplant! :thumbsup:

Another thing that I've thought of a time or two (especially considering the Clemson Graduate School at ICAR and the new USC Upstate campus in Greenville) is that it would be great if either Clemson or USC would offer an MBA or MIS program (or both) in Downtown Greenville ... something that downtown workers could take advantage of to help further their education, careers, and downtown Greenville, in general.

I think an IMAX theater is very realistic for Greenville in the next year or two. I seem to remember some rumors posted here in recent months stating that IMAX is making plans to be in Greenville (somewhere downtown perhaps).

I would also like to see us get a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. They don't build those just anywhere, and getting one would symbolize a step up for our city.

An independent movie theater would also be nice, somewhere in the West End. I think our arts community would support something like that.

Totally agree with the music venue issue. The mid-scale national acts rarely come here, which has been weird for me, a Cincinnati transplant, which scores almost every national band (including Newport, KY as Cincinnati).

Then again, I'm not sure this is only a venue problem. I wonder about the perception that band managers might have of the area, and if this may cause problems. Also, I think proximity to Asheville and the requisite stops in ATL and Charlotte hurts us in this case. Honestly, I'm not so sure the audience does exist to support new modern rock (or whatever you want to label it). Sorry to digress.

I also agree with the idea of an indie movie theatre. That would be nice.

I'd like to see this turn around, whatever the reason is for it. I'd love to see more artists stop over for a show on their way between Charlotte and Atlanta.

I really do believe that there is a market for the "NeMo" bands (M.C.R., etc.) here in Greenville. We're just being overlooked is all - and this is very likey due to lack of an available good mid-size venue. Hehehe...if nothing else there may be a market for New Modern Christian Rock bands (Big Dismal, etc.) :P

The Bohemian Cafe often has great artists and bands in. They also want our input on who we would like to hear/see in the future. :thumbsup:

As for my personal favorite (jazz and swing bands), Occasionally Blues was an awesome live band restaurant in the place where Mellow Mushroom now resides (West End Market). Apparently it was difficult to afford the musicians after a few years. I think something along these lines is a necessity in downtown Greenville and would be much more successful today. B)

I'd like to see this turn around, whatever the reason is for it. I'd love to see more artists stop over for a show on their way between Charlotte and Atlanta.

I really do believe that there is a market for the "NeMo" bands (M.C.R., etc.) here in Greenville. We're just being overlooked is all - and this is very likey due to lack of an available good mid-size venue. Hehehe...if nothing else there may be a market for New Modern Christian Rock bands (Big Dismal, etc.) :P

To be honest, I have only lived in Greenville for four months, and maybe I'm not hanging around the right places, but I just haven't met enough fans of non-mainstream music to believe there would be a good turnout for a relatively-obscure-but-national act. There just doesn't seem to be that pulse to me. I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for asking about Bohemian Cafe, RT. I didn't know where it was either! :)

At this point, I would settle for more live music in bars/restaurants/clubs in Greenville. Even if it were a local band, I think having live music (at least on weekends) in different places adds a lot to the nightlife.

There was an article several weeks back in Upstate Link about the lack of alternative music and a scene in Greenville. The first step I see is to get a radio station that doesn't crank out Nirvana and Shinedown every hour, or this top 40 crap either. 99x in Atlanta is making big strides in this area, also 94.7 The Buzz in Oklahoma City is really good. The latter also plays Loveline @ 11PM. As for tours and concerts, I could see bands off of Tooth & Nail, Fueled By Ramen, etc playing shows, but you'd have to pester them. Bands don't play where they don't think that they're going to make money. Sucks doesn't it? Years ago I was considering getting a low power transmitter, hooking it up to my PC and letting Winamp do the rest. I also have almost 120GB of mp3's also. Anyways, would anyone here on UP be behind a Alternative scene in G-ville?

That was the point I was really tring to make. We need some clubs that will play more Indie and Alternative Rock Bands. Everytime one of my favorite bands is one tour i have to go out of state or Columbia. I was going to go see My Morning Jacket on Friday night but then decided I wasn't up to the drive to Knoxville.

If Ashville can schedule Ryan Adams, Wilco, and My Morning Jacket I think Greenville could as well.

Hey! What's wrong with Shinedown?!?! :D

I like Shinedown as much as the next guy, but we really need a station that plays more "alternative" music.

I also would like to see a radio station that is nothing but talk, but not political talk. A station like 98.1 used to be where we could hear shows like Stern, Don and Mike, Imus, etc.

Archived