What is Greenville missing?

NYTransplant

YES, a NY-style deli (in the traditional Jewish-owned format, of course) would be awesome! Until then, I like Gandolfo's okay with their NY-themed sandwich names. LOL.

Greenfield's in Verdae hints at this style, but has its focus more on bagels. Greenville needs a hardcore deli downtown!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a UPS Store downtown. The sad part is that UPS Stores have limited hours. I think that ours in Greenville is the only 24 hour FedEx/Kinko's in the area. Yeah, I second the need for a location in downtown. In fact, I would hope that would be the first major chain in our downtown.

It wouldn't work necessarily, because Staples already has a copy shop/UPS Shipping counter. I could see one on North Main, near the Insignia towers, Landmark, Pinnacle, and the majority of offices on that end. Maybe on College after Main, before Laurens St. I think that it could work. Also, another reason that it wouldn't work is that if Staples were to sign a lease at McBee, they wouldn't want a competetor so close. Last time I was downtown, there was an open spot between Charles Schwab and Sticky Fingers. I would almost rather it go there if at all. Moving downtown further east, one block at a time.

It wouldn't work necessarily, because Staples already has a copy shop/UPS Shipping counter. I could see one on North Main, near the Insignia towers, Landmark, Pinnacle, and the majority of offices on that end. Maybe on College after Main, before Laurens St. I think that it could work. Also, another reason that it wouldn't work is that if Staples were to sign a lease at McBee, they wouldn't want a competetor so close. Last time I was downtown, there was an open spot between Charles Schwab and Sticky Fingers. I would almost rather it go there if at all. Moving downtown further east, one block at a time.

Good call, jarvis. I was forgetting that Staples offers those services themselves! DUH. So obviously that would be the very place we wouldn't want one. Ha ha.

I like your other ideas. Hopefully one of them will come to fruition soon!

A portion of this discussion has been dedicated to the absence of Greenville's music scene.

What do yall think of this idea. I think that Markley St. from S. Maint to Academy and parts of Rhett St. should be come like a night club district. There are lots of old brick warehouses over there, I think it would be cool if they were coverted in to performance clubs like Tremont in Charlotte, the 40 in Athens, New Brookland Tavern in Columbia, and the Cotton Club in Atlanta. What do yall think?

Something like this sounds great. I am not exactly sure where those roads are, but I know that they are around the ballpark area. Using that space, which is currently either abandoned or run down, for something Greenville could use like performance clubs sounds wonderful. Although a lot of that land isn't prime real estate yet, I am hoping the city's revitalization plans will make it so in the coming years.

I have to bring that up to some friends of mine who just might be able to make that happen. It sucks that the only real place local to see good shows is and has been The Handlebar. It would really make the difference between Greenville having a scene and not having one. And to be a successful downtown, you have to have something that attracts all types of crowds, including the right wingers. I'd suggest one or two alternative clubs for the music scene. I'd also like to more bars, not just the get hammered and leave type, but something like speakeasys. I think that it'd work. Have several aimed towards different groups. This also touches on several things that have bothered me. Not only the lack of the music scene, but the lack of a gay club. Several friends have complained about this, and I think that now, we've become progressive enough to bring one in. And have a dress code too. From what I've been told the two clubs in Greenville have been overrun by the younger more immature crowd, just looking for a quick giggle. And its not only gay clubs, but what ever happened with dance clubs, like Cool World in Spartanburg? What do we have to offer the 18-28 crowd? Obviously clubs haven't been successful in Greenville, look at Salsateque. From what I heard, you needed Kevlar to go there and be safe. I'd say put them downtown, where you can have a better police presence if need be. I guess I just want to be able to see bands like Alkaline Trio, Brand New, etc here in Greenville. It also wouldn't hurt to have some thing like a comedy club. I'd love to see Henry Rollins and Lewis Black in Greenville instead of going to Atlanta. What are everyone elses idea's on this?

A portion of this discussion has been dedicated to the absence of Greenville's music scene.

What do yall think of this idea. I think that Markley St. from S. Maint to Academy and parts of Rhett St. should be come like a night club district. There are lots of old brick warehouses over there, I think it would be cool if they were coverted in to performance clubs like Tremont in Charlotte, the 40 in Athens, New Brookland Tavern in Columbia, and the Cotton Club in Atlanta. What do yall think?

Outstanding idea Brad. That would make a great compliment to the Baseball stadium. Getting Handlebar to move there would be a great start. I think they like were they are, but parking has been an issue there. The residences around it have complained a lot. A few newcomers too of course.

There are already plans to build some things in that area, maybe someone has taken the same idea and run with it.

I agree on the 100% Wi-Fi suggestion, gsupstate. That'd be great! Ideally, I'd love to see the ballpark as one giant Wi-Fi hotspot even if all of downtown can't be covered.

The Port City Java on Mills has an Open Mic Night. There's some fairly good talent there at times - check it out sometime. I do agree that it would be cool to have a place downtown with something like this though. Excellent idea, NYTransplant! :thumbsup:

Another thing that I've thought of a time or two (especially considering the Clemson Graduate School at ICAR and the new USC Upstate campus in Greenville) is that it would be great if either Clemson or USC would offer an MBA or MIS program (or both) in Downtown Greenville ... something that downtown workers could take advantage of to help further their education, careers, and downtown Greenville, in general.

At least Main St. is Wi-Fi from the Hyatt down to the Westin. Until the "entire" downtown is included at least there are many other businesses in the area that are also Wi-Fi, which gives us a pretty decent start?

Before we are able to start landing big national retailers in large numbers downtown we have to continue to show that we are legitimately able to handle the responsibility. Having worked for several of these retailers I have seen how fickle the overall industry can be and the costs included with operations. One of the stores I managed had a power bill each month well over $2000 alone. Some places across the country charge over $500+ per square foot for rent each month. I will let you do the math for a retailer like Gap for example wanting to locate one of their typical 7,000sf stores there! We do have a good flow of traffic in the area but we have to maintain and continue to increase the level overall. Hooray to RiverPlace (among others) for helping the cause! :thumbsup:

PS - For anyone not understanding why Williams-Sonoma and Eddier Bauer stayed/stay at Greenville Mall for so long, well, it was a bit of a package deal. "WS will commit if EB does and vice versa." Oh yeah, throw in a free/HIGHLY reduced rent each month too and you can see the reasoning.

I talked with Mayor White on Friday, and he says that what downtown Greenville needs more than anything else is retail. He sees things changing with all of the residential developments, but he says the next level will be creating more space for retailers (such as a bookstore). He said that the City is going to rennovate the Bergamo Plaza again, to coincide with the other developments about to take place on that block. He also said that there are major retailers interested in coming as soon as the space is created. B)

I talked with Mayor White on Friday, and he says that what downtown Greenville needs more than anything else is retail. He sees things changing with all of the residential developments, but he says the next level will be creating more space for retailers (such as a bookstore). He said that the City is going to rennovate the Bergamo Plaza again, to coincide with the other developments about to take place on that block. He also said that there are major retailers interested in coming as soon as the space is created. B)

:w00t: Awesome! Way to get the scoop!

Any clues as to who the "major retailers" might be? :whistling:

Archived