What is Greenville missing?

NYTransplant

i see radio as a huge problem here in greenville. as far as i'm concerned we've got a few select categories and that's it - you've got 3 rock stations that sound almost alike (93.3 96.7 and 101.1), a gazillion christian stations, several "new" country stations (92.5 100.5), a single oldies station, a couple of top 40/urban stations (93.7 98.1) and other stuff that i probably don't listen to. a lot of other areas in the state have all day talk NPR - but greenville does not. i'd like to see greenville get an all day talk (not necesarily political or all sports on FM), and the new "no format" stations that are out now. first heard one of those while in NY (i think it was NY) but one minute you'd be listening to an oldies song, then an eighties song, then rock, etc - it was a big improvement IMHO over the usual "stuff" the stations hear spit out. i too sorely miss the old 98.1 w/Don & Mike/Tom Leykis (sp?) etc

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Sandlapper! Great to have you here on UrbanPlanet! Hope to read more insight from you often. :D

Funny you mentioning 98.1 WPEK. I used to listen to the shows on that station as well. That was the most entertaining radio we've have in the Upstate since I was born. You know that the station received criticism from a certain protion of the local populous and felt obliged to cease from airing the Don and Mike Show? :( I think more people would support it now, though. I remember when they even quoted from Greenville Magazine one time.

To be honest, I have only lived in Greenville for four months, and maybe I'm not hanging around the right places, but I just haven't met enough fans of non-mainstream music to believe there would be a good turnout for a relatively-obscure-but-national act. There just doesn't seem to be that pulse to me. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree. Have yet to see large masses of this group either. We should have a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, especially if Columbia is getting one. As far as light rail is concerned, my verdict is still out. I just moved from Charlotte and they are just now building the first tracks for one of the routes on their system and the costs continue to build. City officials estimate that the entire system will not be completed until 2025! Greenville needs to focus on a few other priorities for the time being.

Greenville "wish list":

1) Super Target

2) Maggiano's Little Italy (they usually prefer locations near The Cheesecake Factory, which would rock also)

3) A dance club, as someone already mentioned, that played a more sound-driven and less lyric oriented music (ie. the now closed Mythos in Charlotte). Everything here is geared toward such specific crowds.

4) Urban Outfitters

For those wanting a dance club, I suggest The Blu Martini and 221 in downtown Greenville.

Best two stations in the upstate come out of NC. 88.3 and 88.7

I work for CarMax and I can remember one time we had them come out and do a broadcast from the store. Well, while they're not on air they would play whatever was on the air at the time, which happened to be Don and Mike. I'll never forget the look on some of my bosses faces at what was coming out of those speakers. They didn't know what they had gotten themselves into! :D

To further prove the point I was talking about radio station locator for greenville, sc

I am familiar with 88.7 - what's 88.3?

88.3 WGWG (i think those are the call letters) is the Gardner Webb Station from Boiling Springs, NC. It is a AAA station and one of the strongest college stations in the region. They are like ten times as strong as 88.1 WSBF FM Clemson which is only 30,000 watts. BTW I am a WSBF Fan as well, bring that I used to DJ for there while in College but rearly can you pick them up in Greenville.

Another good station is 104.9 Clemson, they just booseted antenna height to better serve the Greenville area, and in my opininon signal strenght got worse, I could pick them up fine in Greer beofre the change, no reception is quite poor.

Per the radio conversation: agree that WNCW is the best locally.

And if you like WNCW, try Knoxville's WDVX: www.wdvx.com. Started in a trailer in a local park and now has a studio in Old Knoxville (downtown) that hosts daily lunchtime concerts. In less than 4 years, has become a small tourist draw.

What Greenville needs?

More support for local retail.

Why do you want an REI when we have Half Moon and Sunrift (and others). How about Greenville-based (and venture capital backed) Earthfare over Whole Foods? The Peddler before Ruth Cris Coffee Underground before Starbucks. Open Book before Barnes & Noble. Earshot before Best Buy.

Chicago and Austin have both commissioned recent studies on this. In Chicago, for every $100 spent in a locally owned retailer, $68 remains in the economy. For every $100 spent at a chain retailer, $43 remains.

Per the radio conversation: agree that WNCW is the best locally.

And if you like WNCW, try Knoxville's WDVX: www.wdvx.com. Started in a trailer in a local park and now has a studio in Old Knoxville (downtown) that hosts daily lunchtime concerts. In less than 4 years, has become a small tourist draw.

What Greenville needs?

More support for local retail.

Why do you want an REI when we have Half Moon and Sunrift (and others). How about Greenville-based (and venture capital backed) Earthfare over Whole Foods? The Peddler before Ruth Cris Coffee Underground before Starbucks. Open Book before Barnes & Noble. Earshot before Best Buy.

Chicago and Austin have both commissioned recent studies on this. In Chicago, for every $100 spent in a locally owned retailer, $68 remains in the economy. For every $100 spent at a chain retailer, $43 remains.

EdPro,

I would like to see Half-Moon Outfitters open a location downtown.

I agree with what you say about the percentage of $ that stays in the area. If we have a choice, we should think about who benefits. On the flip side, these smaller chain stores are owned and operated by locals. The reason someone goes with a franchise is that their probability of success is higher. Sure, they have to pay the franchising fees that go out of the area, but chances are their sales volumes are higher due to brand recognition. Would you rather have 43% of $200 or 68% of $100 staying in the area.

I frequent Port City Java, Moe's, Starbucks and the Marble Slab Creamery often. (Maybe too often), but I don't feel guilty doing it. If I shop at the larger chains like Wal-Mart and Best Buy then I feel like I've done the community a disservice.

Just my $.02 (100% of which stays locally).

EdPro,

I would like to see Half-Moon Outfitters open a location downtown.

I agree with what you say about the percentage of $ that stays in the area. If we have a choice, we should think about who benefits. On the flip side, these smaller chain stores are owned and operated by locals. The reason someone goes with a franchise is that their probability of success is higher. Sure, they have to pay the franchising fees that go out of the area, but chances are their sales volumes are higher due to brand recognition. Would you rather have 43% of $200 or 68% of $100 staying in the area.

I frequent Port City Java, Moe's, Starbucks and the Marble Slab Creamery often. (Maybe too often), but I don't feel guilty doing it. If I shop at the larger chains like Wal-Mart and Best Buy then I feel like I've done the community a disservice.

Just my $.02 (100% of which stays locally).

Rereading my earlier post, I certainly did not mean for it to come across angry. Just that, in my opinion, all the chain stores coming to Grenridge, etc. don't quite warrant the celebration this board/community sometimes give them. Maybe some day our retail will be the one franchising into other communities: Frodos? Fatz Cafe? Oobe?.

(And I certainly spend too much money at amazon.com; McAllisters; Salsaritas; Wild Wings; Publix instead of the ghetto Bi-Lo nearest my house; Bojangles; others to cast the first stone)

Greenville should think of creating more visual awareness about the downtown area for motorists passing through on I-85/I-385 so we can show it off more. Granted this isn't a store or restaurant, but not a lot of out-of-towners have even heard of us, let alone would know to drive down 385 to see the many offerings. Unique welcome signs mentioning the downtown area w/ directions/city logo (NOT a just a plain billboard) at all entrances to the city on 85 and 385 would rock! Well...IMO?

I totally hear where you are coming from EDPro. I try to split my purchases between the local and national retailers. All cities need a mix of both. The REI's, Whole Foods and Pottery Barns of the world help a city cement it's base as a retail center. This draws more and more people from outlying areas and brings in dollars. I totally agree that our locals should be franchsing: Frodo's, OOBE, Lieu's, Liquid Highway, etc. Prominent national chains get celebrated because it indicates a company has faith in a market and that the demographics exist to support their stores. I think I good mix of both national and local is very important and I think Greenville definitely has a great core of local that is sure to expand. :thumbsup:

Rereading my earlier post, I certainly did not mean for it to come across angry. Just that, in my opinion, all the chain stores coming to Grenridge, etc. don't quite warrant the celebration this board/community sometimes give them. Maybe some day our retail will be the one franchising into other communities: Frodos? Fatz Cafe? Oobe?.

(And I certainly spend too much money at amazon.com; McAllisters; Salsaritas; Wild Wings; Publix instead of the ghetto Bi-Lo nearest my house; Bojangles; others to cast the first stone)

Not everyone at Greenridge is a Chain. Smith & James and Chelsea's who are both opening up in Greenridge are local owned businesses. They have the same owners and both are located in Downtown Greer and are expanding to include the Woodruff Rd. area. Smith & James has been located in the same place in Greer since the 1920's.

Woo hoo! I t-totally agree. The Shops definitely have a cool design not found in the city which I love, but you would have thought we were about to open an IKEA with all of the hoopla some folks are creating. Nice to have the options and new retailers, but more than a few Greenville locals are straight up close to insanity. Kinda makes me chuckle when my parents rush over there nearly every other day to see what might have opened! :wacko:

Speaking of McAlister's there's another thing Greenville needs - a good local deli - similar to Noshville in Nashville. Excellent sit down deli, the good pickles available (for free when you sit down), everything from Huge Grilled cheese sandwiches to pancakes, other breakfast foods, etc - all at a reasonable price and friendly wait staff. i don't know of any restaurants similar to this in greenville. While I like McAlister's sandwiches they don't compare to Noshville

Archived