Minor league baseball in Tallahassee?

psycuda

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck... why not build them their own park. I'd rather not have to use the college and university facilities... if Im not at learning (with exception of football) I don't wanna be at school, and I know I speak for myself on that. I'd love for commissioners to reconsider their vote on the Centennial Field:

Cascadespark.jpg

centennialfielddrawing2.jpg

According to the Democrat, the City Council (or at least Allan Katz) wants to use Minor League Baseball as a draw along Gaines St, by building a minor league park where the FSU intramural fields currently are. I think he's mad, considering there's a perfectly good stadium 2 blocks away.Your thoughts?Tallahassee Democrat article mentioning stadium.

Katz.jpg

The picture shows, as you've pointed out, the commissioner wants a baseball stadium just yards away from another stadium. A bad idea in my opinion. I think this site would be best suited for a shopping center, hotel, or medical facility. If the university wants to keep the fields as they are, thats cool too.

Im going to go against the flow here. I think building a separate stadium for a professional team is a must. Even though Dick Howser is a top notch college facility, pro teams want a place that is their home, and theirs alone. I dont think the IM fields would be a good place for them however. Possibly another location on Gaines would be good. However, I think somwhere around the downtown area or out in Killearn would be the best place. That way, the teams can be seperated from the universities.

truly away form the fsu area is a must. I think cascade has more than enough, after completion of hte already funded clean-up, to support a good size minor leaauge stadium. I do think it should be incorporated into the condo project uder review in conjuction with the SS golf coarse i read about recently. Also, a stadium is sure to draw a crowd, so the necissary improvements to roads and surface lots should be made... i want to see a parking garage that keeps those ugly surface lost to a minimum... lets spend money on things that will make us more money. So i say the stadium goes south east of cascade, but within her bounds.

My thoughts:

*First, Tally doesn't have enough parks...ESPECIALLY near downtown. A great downtown HAS to have parks and enough of them. If you take over one of them with a minor league baseball stadium (parking alone is a huge amount of pavement...believe me), you have killed one of the few parks of any size near downtown.

*Second, I would rather see Tally get a performance arts center and decent Gaines Street (which I don't believe will ever happen in my lifetime and if I do, Tally will make it low rent more than likely anyway). Let's focus on those things first.

*Third, FSU will NEVER give up the IM fields....FSU needs more land...it doesn't need to give any away. I believe FSU will be putting academic buildings there soon.

Im going to go against the flow here. I think building a separate stadium for a professional team is a must. Even though Dick Howser is a top notch college facility, pro teams want a place that is their home, and theirs alone. I dont think the IM fields would be a good place for them however. Possibly another location on Gaines would be good. However, I think somwhere around the downtown area or out in Killearn would be the best place. That way, the teams can be seperated from the universities.

Plus, the right field distance in Dick Howser might be a detriment toward getting an affiliated team.

*Third, FSU will NEVER give up the IM fields....FSU needs more land...it doesn't need to give any away. I believe FSU will be putting academic buildings there soon.

Even worse, the plan for that site, once the IM fields are moved to Innovation Park (in discussion) is to put a parking garage there.

Hey,.. while your at it. Take the Marlins,..

You all in Tallahassee can dress them off as a minor leugue team, and trick ole Jeb into building a new 450$ Million, Retractable Roof inner-city Ball Park. Arrange a few mock schedule, and even arrange for the first pitch to be thrown by our beloved Govenor,.. Then just before construction begins at the proposed site off of Tennessee and Monroe, dismantle the entire project and threaten to move the team Las Vegas.

Hey,.. while your at it. Take the Marlins,..

You all in Tallahassee can dress them off as a minor leugue team, and trick ole Jeb into building a new 450$ Million, Retractable Roof inner-city Ball Park. Arrange a few mock schedule, and even arrange for the first pitch to be thrown by our beloved Govenor,.. Then just before construction begins at the proposed site off of Tennessee and Monroe, dismantle the entire project and threaten to move the team Las Vegas.

Beloved Governor :rofl: . Not after he tried to kill Tallahassee's economy with the crazy amount of privatization, some of the jobs going to out-of-state companies. But I won't get into all of that!

I think South Florida has a much better chance of getting Jebby and the Blue Suits to give up the money than we do here in Liberal Leon. :silly:

I think it would be great to get some professional sports back in town. We no longer have Tigersharks, Thunder, the ABA basketbal team, the scorpions... we need something. Why are non of the tons of Millionares in Tallahassee trying to bring us a team?

I think you answered your own question...

"We no longer have Tigersharks, Thunder, the ABA basketbal team, the scorpions.."

Doesn't that tell you something? IE Bad investment.

"Why are non of the tons of Millionares in Tallahassee trying to bring us a team?"

It takes more than one or two Million....you need someone worth $50-$100 Million. Devoe Moore is one of the only ones and he gave up on a minor league team. He has sense donated a huge portion of his estate ($25-$50 Million) to FSU.

Frankly, I don't think pro sports in Tally has ANY affect at all.....I like the atmosphere that being a college town brings.

Still, it'd be nice to have something to do on a June or July night other than going to the bar or movies.

Unless it is indoors...anything in June or July in Tally won't likely draw very well due to heat.

Pro sports are very expensive...there is a reason they have failed in Tally. Tally could draw one, but it won't be able to finish the Gaines Street vision, bring a performance arts center, draw in more companies, finish BluePrint 2000, and bring in a pro sports team all at the same time. Most of these cost money and tax incentives....generally you need to focus on 1 or 2 of these...succeed and then move on. To me pro sports is far down on the totem pole.

Unless it is indoors...anything in June or July in Tally won't likely draw very well due to heat.

Pro sports are very expensive...there is a reason they have failed in Tally. Tally could draw one, but it won't be able to finish the Gaines Street vision, bring a performance arts center, draw in more companies, finish BluePrint 2000, and bring in a pro sports team all at the same time. Most of these cost money and tax incentives....generally you need to focus on 1 or 2 of these...succeed and then move on. To me pro sports is far down on the totem pole.

True, from an architectural standpoint, a stadium wouldn't work well with the stuff going in on Gaines St, plus finshing off Cascades park and the rest of the Blueprint 2000 would be more important.

St Joe,

I wouldn't agree that each of the professional sports investments in Tallahassee were all bad. For each team there was a different story. The Tallahassee Tigersharks were breaking the rules. The Tallahassee Thunder had an attendance problem that stemmed from their very poor debut season in which they lost nearly everygame. Despite the fact that they improved to two consecutive division championship seasons, they just couldn't sell anymore tickets (1) because of low to no marketing, and (2) because they weren't given time to establish a large enough following. I think given another year, the Thunder would have been a household word around here.

But thats coming from their #1 fan!

we dont need anything minor or major league because we have fsu sports to support..... The only thing we need back is hockey, because fsu doesnt have an ice hockey team, and Tiger sharks games were so awesome growing up,,,, I want hockey back!!!

The problem with your statement is...

Not everyone who lives in or visits Tallahassee likes FSU. (2)There is another University in town to support as well.

This entire community could rally around a professional team, which is why its important for us to have one.

Archived