Minor league baseball in Tallahassee?

psycuda

i can't believe that Rome, GA is only a city of 35,000 and supports that many minor league teams. Here is another page with some interesting statistics:

Population Demography in Rome, Georgia

It says that the 6 counties including Floyd where Rome is located has a population approaching 300,000. It also says that within a 60 mile radius there are 2.9 million people... :shok:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Thanks for finding that! I wasn't aware that there were that many people in the surrounding area, but it kinda makes sense. Rome is really strategically located being almost equally close to Atlanta and Chattanooga (about 65 miles to either). It's only one county away from being in Atlanta's MSA. Supposedly it also has the most restaurants and police officers per capita of any city in the world, if I recall correctly.

Like you, I'm surprised at the amount of interest in professional sports that such a small city has. Much of that probably goes to the high population of the surrounding area and perhaps even a greater interest in sports other than football.

I guess that's an important point to consider with Tallahassee. How popular is baseball with Tallahasseeans? From an earlier post it sounds like FSU's baseball attendance is quite good. I know growing up I wasn't greatly interested in baseball, though we did go to a few FSU baseball games as well as at least one NFJC (now NFCC) baseball game.

What about everyone on this forum? How many would personally be interested in regularly attending minor league baseball games? I think if I lived in Tallahassee I might want to go to one or two a season.

I was just in a place I didn't belong... which is sad.

Let's look at the Seminole baseball roster:

http://seminoles.collegesports.com/sports/...basebl-mtt.html

On a team of 37 players, 6 coaches, 6 managers, and 3 trainers there is one black player and one Latino. The last time I tuned in to MLB, the field and the dugout looked a whole lot more colorful. Our baseball team is a vestige of the good-ole-boy South. I don't know who to fault, but it is a shame what you say about the ignorant crowds out at Dick Howser.

If we were to have a minor league team come to Tallahassee, the fans would see a much different picture of the game.

"On a team of 37 players, 6 coaches, 6 managers, and 3 trainers there is one black player and one Latino. The last time I tuned in to MLB, the field and the dugout looked a whole lot more colorful. Our baseball team is a vestige of the good-ole-boy South. I don't know who to fault, but it is a shame what you say about the ignorant crowds out at Dick Howser.

If we were to have a minor league team come to Tallahassee, the fans would see a much different picture of the game."

That is a COLLEGE Baseball issue, not an FSU issue. Minorities simply tend to go to the minors for some reason. Check out the rosters of most Div Ia teams and you will see this.

^FSU is a college baseball team, so it is a FSU problem and I don't care what everyone else's roster looks like(other college teams) it's still doesn't make it right. Dang that sounded like my Mother. I wasn't aiming at that you stjoe just at society in general.

Now I do believe this type of "bubba" behavior does go on at FSU b-ball games, but I've very surprised to see something like that really bother you TJ. As long you as you know your safety isn't in danger, I figured you were a strong confident intelligent guy that would not let something like that bother you. I'm not faulting you at all, just a little surprised.

They didn't treat me bad... but I saw total strangers speaking to one another and giving the high-fives when the team would score, no one as much as opened their mouth to speak to me. I was just in a place I didn't belong... which is sad.

Well, I will say that FSU baseball fans are truly hardcore fans. They're not there to socialize as much, except for with their own "Animal" group as their called.

If you were sitting in the red seats (grand stands) then odds are they werent total strangers, those are basically all season ticket holders that have had them for years. They probably have sat next to those people for years.

I dont think it has anything to do with you being black. People that go talk with the group they came with. Thats pretty standard for any event.

That is a COLLEGE Baseball issue, not an FSU issue. Minorities simply tend to go to the minors for some reason. Check out the rosters of most Div Ia teams and you will see this.

I completely agree with St. Joe here. Minorities do tend to go pro out of high school rather than go to college.

And if were talking about race make up of rosters, what do we say about FSU's football and basketball teams? Is this an FSU problem? An NCAA problem?

And there are more than "tobbaco chewers, and country music" at baseball games. I dont feel threatened by any means when I attend basketball games at the civic center where most promotions are accompanied by rap music...and how about that guy who has the mic?

This has turned into a interesting thread, I really mean that. I look forward to good discussion! :)

And there are more than "tobbaco chewers, and country music" at baseball games. I dont feel threatened by any means when I attend basketball games at the civic center where most promotions are accompanied by rap music...and how about that guy who has the mic?

This has turned into a interesting thread, I really mean that. I look forward to good discussion! :)

To answer Poonther's comments, I was surprised at FSU when I went into this baseball game. Sure, I knew this was baseball and there wouldn't be alot of Black people there, but in all of my years attending FSU events, and living in Tallahassee in general, I'd never experienced the feeling that I felt at that baseball game. Sure I was a fan... and I cheered as loud as anyone else... I even took pictures! But I was uncomfortable. That's not to say I was scared to be there, or that this was based on my color or race, but It was my first impression of an unfamiliar situation, and it wasn't a good one. This is why I hope any professional team we bring to town doesn't have a similar feel to it.

There is a completely different feel at an FSU Basketball game as opposed to a Baseball game. You see tons of color at the basketball games. It feels more like a family affair, football too for that matter! I like going places where I feel welcomed, and as part of the group. A place where I can take ownership of the surroundings. I can do that at a basketball game when I see our players come out in their colors, hear the crowd cheering, see a player sink a 3 pointer, look up at the kiss-cam, try to catch a t-shirt. The guy that has the mic is a radio DJ, he's famous for his work on the Shear Designs Barbershop Commercial. His great public speaking skills probably landed him this job, he was also a Lincoln Alum. But usually when you see him you see a host of white people with T-shirts, or some driving golf carts, or contestants playing basketball tic-tac-toe. Basketball and football games are more diverse.

There's also something to be said about the diversity of the team. Look at the football team, look at basketball team, each a blend of color. When you look at the baseball team and see 99% white people... well there's something to be said about that...

Still, I think there are people on this thread who are essentially calling those in power over the FSU baseball program racist, and I don't think that's fair. If you anyone has any information that would back up such an assertion, then it should be aired. However, just because FSU's baseball team is primarily made up of white players doesn't, in and of itself, imply racism.

Relient J you are always defending FSU, does your Mama work there or something? :D Just kidding man, really just kidding and tryin' to lighten the mood on this thread.

TJ I'm very sorry that you felt uncomfortable at the FSU Baseball games. I'm sure if it bothered a strong intelligent fella like you, there must be something to it.

I rarely go to baseball or basketball games over at FSU, so I can't really comment on what you guys are seeing when you attend. I do go to football games and they are very mixed racially both on and off the field. I hope to go to a basketball game later this month. I really wanna hear this DJ now, it sounds fun. Do they do a lot of promotions/crowd participation events at the basketball games like they did at the Tigershark hockey games? I always liked that part.

TJ next time you wanna go to an FSU baseball game, just let me know and I'll go w/you and "high-five" you all you want. :) However I must say that it is a little sad IMO to see middle age men like me "high fiving." But I'll do it nonetheless.

One last thing, I believe that it's sometimes hard to perceive what TJ felt at the game when you are a white straight christian (or christian raised) male. You guys are usually in the majority and rule the nation. I'm sure some will disagree w/that statement and that too is fine.

There's also something to be said about the diversity of the team. Look at the football team, look at basketball team, each a blend of color. When you look at the baseball team and see 99% white people... well there's something to be said about that...

Well, its hard to argue that there is anything more family oriented then going to watch Americas favorite pastime, I think...

I hardly think there is a lot of diversity on the football or basketball programs, especially in the starting rosters. What, maybe 3 of 22 on the football team that started were caucasion (Castillo, Weatherford, and the safety Skyler Hall? {forgetting his name, sorry}).

On the basketball team, of the 14 on roster, 3 are white (21%), 1 latino (7%). While not the same exact scale, I think that is greatly unbalanced nonetheless.

Also, just because there are few minorities at FSU, doesnt make it a rule in all of the NCAA. Maybe, those minorities CHOSE not to come to FSU. Maybe some dropped baseball (like Alex Boston).

Mike Martin is a great man. A man of character, morals, and humbleness, and expects the same of his players. Im sure that no one on this board is accusing him of being racist...right?

^ No, no one to my knowledge is even remotely saying Mike Martin is a racist. Goodness, please don't start us down that road GG. :unsure:

Just curious, do you know Mike Martin personally? Or just what you've learned in the media and by being a fan of baseball? While I'll not disagree w/how you've described him, I've heard the same adjectives in the past used to describe Storm Thurmond.

And what exactly does baseball being family oriented have to do w/any of this? I understand that you mean this as a good thing, but in the past and currently "family oriented things" are not always a seal of approval and goodness by everyone. Family outings now include trips to the circus and for many they see that as cruelity to animals and not good. Also in the past family outings in the Deep South included trips to lynching. And no I'm not saying FSU Baseball = Lynchings.

You do know your sports stuff GG. I like the way you did the percentages for basketball. Very interesting and telling. Is there anyway you could quickly do the same thing for football and baseball? I think that would make a great comparison for the big 3 men's sports. Seeing all the percentages side by side would really shed some light on which of the 3 are diverse, if any and which are not. I know I'm asking a lot of you and you are a busy student...and worker? If you can do it, take all the time you need.

I still don't really know how to feel about this topic at all. Both sides have made some good points and everyone's being pretty civil on such a touchy subject....yeah Tally!

Im sure that no one on this board is accusing him (Mike Martin) of being racist...right?

Absolutely not! I know Mike Martin personally, I used to bag groceries for him and his wife when I was 15 working at the Bradfordville Publix and they were very nice people. I've never used the R word, but I've said there have been times when I was made to feel "out of place" or like I didn't belong at the baseball games. Its the not team, but the crowd the team attracts. Without stereotyping, or making a general statement, I'll just say my first experience at an FSU baseball game shouldn't be repeated. I'll have to try it again and hope things are different the next time around...

As for baseball being America's favorite past time... Oscar Meyer! I think not! Its all about Football!

^ OFF TOPIC:

Gosh TJ just how many Publix stores HAVE you worked at in Tally? I've seen you reference Southwood, Oak Valley and Bradfordville. You do get around! :P

And what is the "R word?" Since you can't whisper it in my ear, does it begin w/an R and end in a K or does it end in a N? You've got me confused on that one.

^ OFF TOPIC:

Gosh TJ just how many Publix stores HAVE you worked at in Tally? I've seen you reference Southwood, Oak Valley and Bradfordville. You do get around! :P

And what is the "R word?" Since you can't whisper it in my ear, does it begin w/an R and end in a K or does it end in a N? You've got me confused on that one.

I've worked at Bradfordville (2+ years), Vineyard (6 months), Southwood (1 year), and Oak Valley (8-9 months)

R word... racist!! LOL! You made me write it!

Poonther, yes I know Mike Martin personally. Im actually fortunate enough to be able to meet up with him a couple of times a month. He's alright...for a seminole! lol

What I meant about the family thing is when TJ said how basketball and football games were geared towards the family...

Perhaps my last line of my previous post was a little harsh, about the racist thing...Im sorry for that...Im just meaning that the situation on the FSU baseball team is the exception, not the rule. I just dont think its right contemplating somethings up with the FSU baseball team b/c all but 2 are white, when in just about every team in the country (football and basketball), every player (especially starters) are not white.

I may be able to eventually go in and do all the roster statistics...I just had early classes this morning and didnt want to stay up that late

It's cool GG, if you get a chance to do the roster thingy that would be great, if not, it's understandable. No pressure from me on that one.

Thanks for clarifying your family comment. Now it makes a lot more sense to me.

Ah the real question here GG is not if Martin is OK for a Seminole but why in the devil would he wanna hang around a Gator? :P

Archived